Track order

I just got my Sansa Clip yesterday and I love it so far, except one problem: tracks in an album are ordered randomly.  Well, it’s not completely random – I’ve tried to copy the same files a few times and everytime there are in the same *wrong* order.  I have used easytag to modify/check the ID3 tags and mp3info also shows that the track # tags are corretly ordered.  What else might cause the problem?  I mostly listen to classical so ordering is very important.  I have the latest firmware 1.1.30a.  The device is in MSC mode when doing the transfering in linux.

Thanks,

Chris

Message Edited by plutino on 10-28-2008 11:14 AM

Try using mp3tag to edit your tags and see if this corrects the problem.  http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

@ytsejam1138 wrote:
Try using mp3tag to edit your tags and see if this corrects the problem.  http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Thanks, but unfortunately, I don’t have access to a windows box.

There is another thread that implies that the track # tag is only (?) used when you’ve selected a particular album.  FWIW.

@promisedplanet wrote:
There is another thread that implies that the track # tag is only (?) used when you’ve selected a particular album.  FWIW.

I’ll try to find the tread.  But my problem occurs when I select a single album.  Well, probably I misunderstood what you mean by “a particular album”, but can you actually select more the one album at the same time?

@plutino wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

I’ll try to find the tread.  But my problem occurs when I select a single album.  Well, probably I misunderstood what you mean by “a particular album”, but can you actually select more the one album at the same time?

Sorry I didn’t save the thread URL.

My guess is that the original poster in the thread may have selected an artist, and expected the songs for an album to play in track # order, but I’m not really sure.

I think the expectation is that if the track numbers are properly supplied, the Clip should play the songs in track # order when you select an album from the “Albums” menu.

Then it’s not the problem I’m facing.  I got the wrong order even go through Album list.  I remembered that there are different versions of ID3 tags, maybe what easytag writes and what Clip reads are different versions.  I didn’t get any problem for my ogg files.  I’ll try to make ID3v2 tags to see if that solves the problem.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@plutino wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

Sorry I didn’t save the thread URL.

My guess is that the original poster in the thread may have selected an artist, and expected the songs for an album to play in track # order, but I’m not really sure.

I think the expectation is that if the track numbers are properly supplied, the Clip should play the songs in track # order when you select an album from the “Albums” menu.

I use id3tag to make both v1 and v2 tags, and that solves the problem

@plutino wrote:

Then it’s not the problem I’m facing.  I got the wrong order even go through Album list.  I remembered that there are different versions of ID3 tags, maybe what easytag writes and what Clip reads are different versions.  I didn’t get any problem for my ogg files.  I’ll try to make ID3v2 tags to see if that solves the problem.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that the Clip uses ID3V2 tags.

It turns out that easytag (as most other linux applications using id3lib) defaults to write ID3v2.4, and mp3info write ID3v1, but Clip only read ID3v2.3.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@plutino wrote:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that the Clip uses ID3V2 tags.

hi plutino,

I’m facing exact the same problem. What do you exactely mean using id3tag now to make both v1 and v2 tags? I use easytag on Linux with sansa clip as well.

Message Edited by arthur42dent on 11-13-2008 01:47 PM

@arthur42dent wrote:

hi plutino,

I’m facing exact the same problem. What do you exactely mean using id3tag now to make both v1 and v2 tags? I use easytag on Linux with sansa clip as well.

Message Edited by arthur42dent on 11-13-2008 01:47 PM

EasyTag has settings for which tag format and what encoding to use.  I don’t have it installed right now, so I can’t tell you the exact screens.

You want ID3v2.3 format and ISO encoding.  On Linux it probably defaults to ID3v2.4 and one of the unicode encodings.  Both of these will have problems on the Clip.  ID3v2.3 format and ISO encoding always works.

And some people wonder why a folder view is still the one most requested feature for the Clip. :dizzy_face:

@sinocelt wrote:
And some people wonder why a folder view is still the one most requested feature for the Clip. :dizzy_face:

By Linux users.  :wink:

@promisedplanet wrote:

@sinocelt wrote:

By Linux users.  :wink:

Not only.

Hi, I’m a complete noob and for some reason I cannot get my clip+ to play my songs in the order they are set out in the folder…what am I missing here? I am using windows xp and all the track numbers etc. are sorted but it still mixes up the tracks in a given folder…any help for my uneducated self?

Message Edited by Groovalicious on 12-15-2009 10:50 PM

Groovalicious wrote:
Hi, I’m a complete noob and for some reason I cannot get my clip+ to play my songs in the order they are set out in the folder…what am I missing here? I am using windows xp and all the track numbers etc. are sorted but it still mixes up the tracks in a given folder…any help for my uneducated self?
Message Edited by Groovalicious on 12-15-2009 10:50 PM

First thing is the Tags. If there is anything not right about them then you will have issues like this. The Clip+ has folder browsing so if you use that you should be ok but if you are using the traditional nav style then you need to check your tags.