Tired of 'Refreshing your Media' and freezing

One tiny Last note:       I just went through my 1.3 GB collection of .mp3 and .ogg podcasts with  EasyTag2.1.5.   If the file suffix was .mp3, I left  any images found alone.  If the file suffix was .ogg and the file contained an image,  I deleted the image.

I then dragged and dropped my 1.3 GB collection of podcasts into the  E:\PODCASTS  (or as it shows here on my Ubuntu Karmic:  “/media/0123-4567/PODCASTS”).  This collection consists of 19 folders and 55 podcasts.

Guess what?   The progress bar “Refreshing your Media”  proceeded quickly and all the podcasts are available in my Fuze.

I would really appreciate if someone else could confirm this.  If confirmed, I’ll send a bug notice to SanDisk.

larryj wrote:

Podcasts  dww20091026.ogg   and  dww20091109.ogg contain the DistroWatch logo as a 86 x 87 pixel .PNG.   Either of these files dropped in a newly formatted Sansa Disk  E:/PODCASTS folder will cause the  “Refreshing your Media” progress bar to freeze and your Fuze to lockup.

Maybe this is your problem? PNG is not a supported image format on the Sansa line of players. JPG’s or BMP’s only. :wink:

OK  but it seems to me, if Sansa doesn’t allow embedded .png,   the sane way to handle an unfamiliar image format is simply to ignore the pictur  then Just continue reading the mp3 or ogg file.    Why should the Fuze device simply  lockup and refuse to continue?

Furthermore   http://www.id3.org/d3v2.3.0  section 4.15  Attached picture reads "The “image/png” [PNG] or 'image/jpeg [JFIF] picture format should be used when interoperability is wanted.

So I still plead for confirmation and then remedy by SanDisk.

larryj wrote:

OK  but it seems to me, if Sansa doesn’t allow embedded .png,   the sane way to handle an unfamiliar image format is simply to ignore the picture  then Just continue reading the mp3 or ogg file.  

This seems like the sensible thing to do but when it comes to tags Sansa’s players are picky.  Ive seen players hang because of a - in the wrong place or using other characters the player doesnt like, it could be that small.

Point taken that Sansa’s players are picky!    But that need not be.  

Guess I should quit complaining and try Rockbox.

larryj wrote:

Point taken that Sansa’s players are picky!    But that need not be.  

Guess I should quit complaining and try Rockbox.

I agree that it shouldnt be that way. But with some of the more major bugs these players have overcome thru fixes things like this have probably been put on the back burner. This past summer a fix had to be implemented to fix a bug that caused incredibly loud volume increases (not the result of turning it up) that could have possibly caused hearing issues, when that was happening nobody was worried about the tag issues. The recent release of the Clip+ had taken many if not all of those responsible for this kind of fix to other projects in recent months so any future developments are only now just getting going again, I would guess. 

Most folks are either willing to cope with these issues by changing their habits or are able to find work arounds to make their players do what they want. 

That’s really sad. I haven’t followed the forums here and didn’t realize  SanDisk is possibly abandoning Fuze and like devices.

----Rant on—

This seems like a perfect argument for open source.  Let the manufacturers make money producing the hardware,  but then perhaps after a few years, they should open up the source code so the community can improve and maintain usefulness of the device into the future.   The world is blessed with extraordinarily capable software grurus  who for a small fee would be glad to fix (and sell) the minor glitch in the firmware such as that I found. (Or think I’ve found!)

----Rand off—

OK now I really will shut up. :stuck_out_tongue:

larryj wrote:

That’s really sad. I haven’t followed the forums here and didn’t realize  SanDisk is possibly abandoning Fuze and like devices.

----Rant on—

This seems like a perfect argument for open source.  Let the manufacturers make money producing the hardware,  but then perhaps after a few years, they should open up the source code so the community can improve and maintain usefulness of the device into the future.   The world is blessed with extraordinarily capable software grurus  who for a small fee would be glad to fix (and sell) the minor glitch in the firmware such as that I found. (Or think I’ve found!)

----Rand off—

OK now I really will shut up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Source code typically contains proprietary code that might be used in future devices.

Anyway, regarding the media refresh time, the thing that bugs me is that when you modify media in the Fuze’s internal memory, it not only reads internal memory to refresh the database, it also reads the entire contents of the expansion card.  The Sansa Connect, a discontinued model, doesn’t do this.  Ay caramba.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-25-2010 10:12 AM