Just totally fed up with Refreshing your Media taking over 60 minutes.

Every time I update my files or even when I just charge my player via USB my media is refreshed. I have almost filled the 8GB built in plus 4B micro SD card with mp3s and it really is taking over 60 mins to refresh each time.

Why is it refreshing at all when all I want to do is charge my player and not add or remove any tracks!!!

Even worse - and this is the real killer - is that if, after the refresh is finally completed, I don’t disconnect my Sansa Fuze from the PC quickly enough the bloddy thing will start another refresh of media!!! And then that’s another hour sitting waiting for it.

I have the latest firware installed.

I feel like ditching the thing.

I am running a PC with Windows Vista 32bit and add files to the player by simpling dragging and dropping inside Windows Explorer. 

Message Edited by ffa01 on 01-13-2010 01:45 AM

ffa01 wrote:

Every time I update my files or even when I just charge my player via USB my media is refreshed. I have almost filled the 8GB built in plus 4B micro SD card with mp3s and it really is taking over 60 mins to refresh each time.

Why is it refreshing at all when all I want to do is charge my player and not add or remove any tracks!!!

Even worse - and this is the real killer - is that if, after the refresh is finally completed, I don’t disconnect my Sansa Fuze from the PC quickly enough the bloddy thing will start another refresh of media!!! And then that’s another hour sitting waiting for it.

I have the latest firware installed.

I feel like ditching the thing.

I am running a PC with Windows Vista 32bit and add files to the player by simpling dragging and dropping inside Windows Explorer. 

Message Edited by ffa01 on 01-13-2010 01:45 AM

The more files you have the longer it will take but this seems like a really long time. The thing is why is it refreshing when its connected to the computer? It shouldnt do that. When connected you should see a screen that says connected, then when you add files it should say Writing, then switch back to connected, then when you disconnect it should refresh. Unless I am misunderstanding that part of what you wrote.

That’s a mighty long time. I have 10-12 GB on mine and when it does refresh it only takes a minute or two.

Look at Settings/Info and see how many songs there are. Obviously a bunch of tiny files are going to take longer to read–more data to classify.

It might help to look at your ID3 tags. Maybe there is something in them that is slowing down the refresh–like Comments.

Read about ID3 tags here and get mp3tag to see if you can streamline them.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=201&view=by\_date\_ascending&page=1 

“The thing is why is it refreshing when its connected to the computer? It shouldnt do that. When connected you should see a screen that says connected, then when you add files it should say Writing, then switch back to connected, then when you disconnect it should refresh.”

Yes, it only starts refreshing when I disconnect. But why does it refresh even when I haven’t added or deleted any files i.e. when I’ve simply connected to my PC to recharge the battery? Surely that’s a fault with the player or software? Nine times out of 10 I only connect because I want to recharge my battery but every time I have to sit through a 60 minute media refreshing after I disconnect the player from from the PC!

Now, because it takes 60 mins to refresh the media (and because the media refreshing screen remains ON throughout those 60 mins*) I most often reconnect the player so that the battery won’t drain down. If I disconnect the player within a few seconds of the first media refresh being completed then I’m fine and can go and listen to the player. However if I forget about it and don’t disconnect quickly enough then when I do disconnect I have to endure another 60 minute refresh! 

* Why is this anyway? Why can’t the screen go blank after 15 seconds like it does during normal playback?

Message Edited by ffa01 on 01-13-2010 02:24 AM

I do have mp3tag installed on my PC and I know I have no comments on any of my tracks. I have very little artwork either.

Thanks for the link. I’ll look into that.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:46 PM

Very, ah, logical, TomJensen, but don’t strip all the ID3 tags–what a pain to put them back.

Get mp3tag and make sure it is writing ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. 

With no comments, no foreign characters. Tags come from all kinds of places. Many current tags are ID3v2.4, which is supposed to be supported but I don’t trust it. Older tags might be ID3v1, or ID3v3 with Unicode. ISO-8859-1 is like buttah. 

Thanks for all the helpful comments from everyone.

I changed all my mp3 tags to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 and reloaded the mp3s onto my player and that has made a difference to the time spent refreshing media. Reduced from around 60 minutes to around 22 minutes. I’m going to keep tinkering. One think I noticed is that some of my mp3s did have comments on the tags despite me saying they didn’t have. I’m going to delete the comments (will only take a few minutes) and then try copying the mp3s over to my player again to see if this makes a further reduction in the refreshing media time.

Will keep you posted later today!

Live long and prosper! 

I’ve owned a Sansa Connect, a Sansa Clip, and a Sansa Fuze.  My experience is that the Sansa Connect’s firmware was far superior to the others when it came to issues around syncing files and refreshing the internal database.  Regarding the Connect versus the Fuze, the Connect would only refresh its entire database (including microSDHC card) upon startup.  Once running, if you removed and reinserted the card without changing its contents, the Connect would recognize that nothing on the card had changed, and wouldn’t refresh its database.  The Fuze would.  I also remember some problem with the Fuze where, if you altered the contents of its internal memory, it would re-read the contents of the card as well as the internal memory.

That was a while ago, after which I gave my Fuze away.  I don’t know if a recent firmware upgrade has improved this behavior.  I’m waiting for a new Fuze from Woot.  :slight_smile:

@conversionbox wrote:

The thing is why is it refreshing when its connected to the computer? It shouldnt do that.

It does that for me too, but only on Windows. That is, it refreshes after I ‘safely remove’ on Windows without having touched the contents of the Fuze.

It seems Windows scans the Fuze when it gets attached and somehow touches something making the Fuze believe it has been updated. When I connect my Fuze to a Linux laptop I have, it doesn’t do this.

Not suggesting ditching Windows is the solution here, but the behaviour isn’t unique and annoys me a lot too. Thankfully I have fairly few files on my Fuze so it’s done in a minute or so.

I hope you can figure it out as that long a wait is really annoying.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 01-13-2010 08:25 AM

Deleting comments from the mp3 tags made little or no difference to media refresh time.

I meant to say that there are no non-music files on the player, just around 2600 music files taking up 11GB.  

Deleted all the wma files from the player - only around 60 in number - so that all files are now mp3s but that made little or no difference to the media refresh time either.

I suspect there are one or more dodgy mp3 files that are responsible for slowing the media refresh time down from the normal 2 or 3 minutes most people seem to experience to the actual time I’m now getting of 20 to 25 minutes.

Isloating which mp3 file/files are responsible will be no easy task however (as Spock mentioned!)

I’ll let you know on this thread if I make any more progress.  Thanks all.

Message Edited by ffa01 on 01-13-2010 05:05 PM

Thanks 7o9 - glad to see I’m not the with that issue.

Thanks Tom. Lots of useful info.

I’m going to try Tag Cut later on today.  

P.S. “The problem for you isn’t so much the time, but the recurring refreshes even when you’re not adding new stuff.”

I agree that’s my main issue. Is it an issue for you too? If not are you using Linux or Windows?

Oh and to reiterate, always work from a second copy. The stuff mentioned using MP3Tags are all batch operations with no undo.

OK thanks again. I’ll do as you say later tonight.

When I used to have a Fuze (haven’t had one for months but have one now coming from Woot :slight_smile: ), there was an issue where if I modified the contents of the internal memory, the database refresh would include the microSDHC card as well.  Not sure if that’s been addressed with a recent firmware upgrade.

Just thought of another thing: It maybe microSD related. If you take out the uSD, then later put it back in, it will trigger a refresh. Workaround: don’t take it out.