Just totally fed up with Refreshing your Media taking over 60 minutes.

Instead of charging by plugging into your Windows computer, try using a USB power adapter.  I’ve tried two different kind, and neither makes it do a refresh after unplugging it.  Plus, you can charge it when away from your computer.

The sansa store sells one for $20, but you can find them a LOT cheaper.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/parentCategoryID.11443000/CategoryID.11449200/productID.107237400

I seem to have stumbled upon a technique for ensuring I don’t get a media refresh when I only want to charge my player.

When I connect the player to my PC via the USB cable it opens a couple of windows explorer windows (one for the contents of the built in player drive and another for the contents of the micro SD card.) If I close them straight away then, when I later disconnect my player from the PC after I’ve charged it long enough, I don’t get a media refresh.

So that’s basically solved my main problem.

When I do want to add or delete files I haven’t been able to get my media refresh to last much under 25 minutes but I think I can live with that as I won’t need to change my files very often.

Thanks to all those who helped with suggestions on this thread. I appreciate the time you took to post them and I will certainly continue to tinker around - especially with the mp3 tags - in the hope of reducing the time it takes my player to do a media refresh. But, as I’ve already mentioned, it’s not such a big deal now. Any success I do have though I’ll try to remember to post on this thread.

Cheers!

I do wish they could shorten refresh time, My fuze takes forever to refresh with an 8gb class6 stick (8gb fuze+8gb stick) 

Hell I kinda wish sansa would just port rockbox to fuze for us so we wouldnt have to deal with DB issues and such…

Pah … copied some new files over to the player and the media refresh took 32 minutes. Pathetic.

Did you run the new files through mp3tag to clean them up?

I just dumped about 200MB of new music onto the Fuze, including (holding my nose) an album of .wma instead of my usual mp3. Then I  clocked it for refreshing. There are now 1835 songs on it. The refresh took 1:57. 

So something is making your Fuze choke. 

I suggest taking some of the advice above about streamlining the tags.

Under Options/Tags/Mpegs make sure mp3tag removes anything except ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 . 

You can open the entire Fuze drive with mp3tag, highlight everything, put <keep> in Album, Artist, Title, Genre, etc., put <blank> in Comments and anywhere else (composer, etc.) and have it race through them. It has to help.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-13-2010 06:57 PM

I think Black-Rectangle is correct…something is definitely making your Fuzes choke. I used to keep 1800-2100 songs on my 4GB+8GB V1, and my longest refresh was just over four minutes, and that was before I ever used MP3Tag.

Two quick thoughts:

One, here’s a killer deal on a wee USB adaptor(for the Fuze, use the original USB-30pin cable) from Sansa. $10.

Two, I have several machines, e200 / Fuze / Clip+ all 8GB with 2GB µSD mounted in each device.  My refreshes are all hovering at one minute.  This is with MTP comm mode, all files ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1.

Bob  :wink:

AzureSky wrote:

Hell I kinda wish sansa would just port rockbox to fuze for us so we wouldnt have to deal with DB issues and such…

Yeah, that would be a real money-maker for SanDisk, and it would save the actual Rockbox development team some time.

After that, SanDisk could require that its Sansa firmware development team commit 10 hours a week to open source efforts.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-14-2010 08:39 AM

neutron_bob wrote:

Two, I have several machines, e200 / Fuze / Clip+ all 8GB with 2GB µSD mounted in each device.  My refreshes are all hovering at one minute.  This is with MTP comm mode, all files ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1.

Bob  :wink:

How many files in the internal memories and on the microSDs?  microSD classes?

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-14-2010 08:46 AM

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:45 PM

Promised-

Let’s have a quick look.  I have about 250MB free on each device currently, about 1168 songs, 24 voice, 13 books (this is the e280v2).  The Fuze and Clip+ have a similar file load.

Having a really long refresh time is a strange one.  I’d try an experiment, removing the µSD card, and refreshing without the card mounted to see how long the internal memory portion is taking to build the database.

Bob  :cry:

Thanks Bob.  What class are the microSD cards … 6?

Nope, I have all SanDisk ones, a few SlotMusic cards even, with the remainder filled up too.  The current batch are all µSD 2GB ones, without an imprinted class rating.  I could only guarantee a class 2, though I feel SanDisk is conservative on their ratings.

Granted, the Sansa does expedite things a wee bit in MTP mode for the database refresh.  Those who navigate by folder will see the little IDs that are added to some files; these are used in the refresh.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

When your media refreshes, does the bar get stuck at one point then after a long while move again.  I have a problem which I can not seem to find a solution or work around for.  Sometimes it will get stuck at about 90% and other times it would get stuck at 100%.  The first time I had left it over night when (full bar) and it remained the same when I checked on it in the morning.  Thereafter I would just shut it down after about 15mins.  Would it be worth leaving it for longer?

plug wrote:

When your media refreshes, does the bar get stuck at one point then after a long while move again.  I have a problem which I can not seem to find a solution or work around for.  Sometimes it will get stuck at about 90% and other times it would get stuck at 100%.  The first time I had left it over night when (full bar) and it remained the same when I checked on it in the morning.  Thereafter I would just shut it down after about 15mins.  Would it be worth leaving it for longer?

You can leave it on 'till the proverbial cows come home, it won’t help. You’ve most likely got a file (or several) that the player cannot decypher during it’s databse refresh. You’ll have to fix these to insure a clean refresh. Look for corrupted files, or ID3 tags the Sansas can’t read (anything in the Comments field, foreign characters or the format of the tag itself).

There are numerous discussions on these issues. Poke around, you’ll find them. :wink:

Most of the posts about the refresh problem are speculations about faulty Tags or damaged files. Those may be issues, but they weren’t what caused my Fuze to hang indefinitely during the media refresh operation. I first went from fast refresh to endless refresh after adding “replay gain” tags to the files that were already stored in my Fuze. I searched the forums and found all the worries about Tags and so I deleted all the files so I could upload tagless versions. However, I tested the refresh with the MUSIC folder empty and surprisingly, the refresh process still hung with no files showing in the folder. That seemed curious. I remembered that I hadn’t asked the computer for permission to remove the USB connection. I connected again, and this time requested “safely remove” and a window popped up and said to wait a minute while it finished. It did it’s business, the folder was still empty looking, but when it said to disconnect the refresh was virtually instantaneous.

I then put one album in the music folder with the “replay gain” tag already in the files. I disconnected, asking for a “safely remove” status, it did its thing and refresh was fast again. I then uploaded 5GB of audio with the replay gain tags added and again “safely removed” the connection and the Fuze still refreshes very quickly.

In my operating system (Fedora 12 Linux) deleting or copying over a file (both an copy and a delete) generally leaves the deleted file as hidden in a so-called “trash can” or “recycle bin.” You don’t see it but it is there and apparently the hidden file name confuses the Fuze and causes it to have trouble refreshing. Clicking on “Safely Remove” tidies up the deleted files and that allows refreshing to go normally. I am pretty certain that the same kind of issues occur in the same way in Windows. 

Nothing has worked for me checked all the Fixed all the ID3 tags mp2tag and everything. It takes about 8 minutes to refresh 6.58GB on my 8GB v2 Fuze in MSC mode.

My workaround is to use MTP mode for charging and use MSC mode only when I add media, which isn’t that often. A little bit annoying but I can’t waste my life trying to fix a minor inconvenience.