I am a SanDisk Clip fan and have recently bought a SanDisk Clip Sport Plus. It’s my third SanDisk Clip. I like it … but…
With my previous players I have installed Rockbox. This allowed me to really customise my player. However, it was only after I purchased my Clip Sport Plus that I discovered that I cannot install Rockbox on it. It also looks unlikely that there will be a version of Rockbox for Clip Sport Plus due to hardware constraints.
This means I am stuck with the native Clip Sport Plus interface which offers very little by way of customisation. But I know that SanDisk are constantly evolving the firmware so I thought it might be helpful to list here some of the features I would like to see in future versions of the Clip Sport interface. For background, I mostly use my Clip Sport Plus for listening to podcasts. I use MediaMonkeyas my podcast manager: So here it is, in no particular order, my
Great Big SanDisk Clip Sport Plus Wish List :
- Accelerating fast-forward and rewind, where holding down the fast-forward or rewind button will speed up the fast-forward or rewind. The standard speed is fine for finding a place in a song or short clip. However, it takes too long to get through a 2-hour podcast!
- Option to auto-change from one folder to the next so I don’t have to manually navigate to the next folder.
- Option to display the date and time on all screens
- Option to display remaining battery as a percentage rather than an icon
- Option to speed up horizontal scroll speed - it can take quite a while to read a long track title
- Option to change how a track title is displayed e.g. change if and how date, track number, title, next track title and previous track title are displayed
- Theme options - including themes that use the screen real estate better. There’s a lot of unused or underused space on the display screen. Consider a dark theme.
- More reliable display of album art: album art is not displayed for many of my podcasts.
- Voice cues so I can navigate the Clip Sport Plus without looking at the screen (would be a great addition for users with sight constraints too)
- Have a dedicated top-level section for podcasts. It doesn’t make sense to me why the Podcast folder is under the Books top-level section
- Option to maintain the folder structure in the Music section - when I drag and drop folders of music onto the device and open the Music section I can no longer see the folders I dragged and dropped. I’ve overcome this by creating playlists but that’s an extra step I’d rather not to have to do.
That’s it for now. I’ll add more feature ideas if I come up with more. Would anyone else like to add some features they’d like to see in future versions of the SanDisk firmware or hardware?