Suddenly, (almost) no sound with jack COMPLETELY plugged in, but O.K. when slightly out

It’s an e250 2GB model. The “jack plug” is the common TRS connector ( t ip, r ing, s leeve).

When the TRS is slightly out the sound is O.K., though only right-hand channel [Wikipedia: TRS connector]:

But when the TRS is completely in the sound is (almost) inaudible!

The e250 itself is O.K. (I’ve tried other headphones), but the weird thing is that the trouble-making-jack seems O.K. as well in other devices (even in iPhone), though it is hard to tell whether is it “stereo” or only “mono”.

Any help much appreciated!

I have a SanDIsk 8GB MP3 player and the sound sounds really warbled.  I have tried a few different earpieces.  If I push the jack in and hold it the sound improves. Can any one help?

@nolafiona wrote:

I have a SanDIsk 8GB MP3 player and the sound sounds really warbled.  I have tried a few different earpieces.  If I push the jack in and hold it the sound improves. Can any one help?

What model player is it? If it’s one of the newer models like the Fuze or the Clip+ and it’s fairly new, they tend to have a very tight headphone jack. A lot of people have had issues with the sound quality only to find out they just need to seat the plug a little more firmly into the jack. Twisting while pushing in seems to help.

On the other side of the coin is the e200 series whose Achilles Heel was the headphone jack. A lot of units (especially the earlier v1 models) suffered from improperly soldered and insufficienty supported headphone jacks. This is probably the reson for the tighter jacks on the newer models. If you have one of these, you can (if you’re careful and have good dexterity) re-solder and reinforce the headphone jack by taking it apart. This is easily done as the back plate has screws to remove (don’t lose them) so as to replace the battery.

Here’s a post describing how it’s done.

Stealing my thread and then ignoring my plead. :slight_smile:
Help still (very) welcome.

@sansazealot wrote:

Stealing my thread and then ignoring my plead. :slight_smile:
Help still (very) welcome.

Your headphone jack is probably buggered up, as I suggested in my previous reply. Follow the link and check out the pictures, comparing it to your unit. You may see the problem.

I should’ve been more careful with terminology: instead of jack (surface-mounted connector with female socket) I should’ve used jack plug (male connector or simply “the plug”).

e250 is OK, the problem is the headphone jack plug that was suddenly “demoted/degraded” to MONO-sound-only.

Is it even “on the same target” if I (try to) follow this ehow guide on replacing a headphone plug?