SSDE Plus - LifeSpan - Windows-SystemDrive (DE/EN)

Edit: packed the german and english Version of this post into one topic
(did not expect to show both language versions in the same forum group)

Hallo liebe Leute,

ich hab eine vielleicht n00bisch-klingende Frage, aber sie geht mir nicht mehr aus dem Kopf, und vielleicht kann mir von Euch da draußen jemand Licht ins Dunkel bringen.

Ich hab mir gerade eben (heute angeliefert) zum ersten mal eine SSD gekauft (ja, ich weiß, Spätzünder, aber bis vor kurzem waren sie mir noch zu teuer), aber dafür gleich eine SSD Plus 2TB.

Und die vorherrschende Meinung im Internet ist die, daß man die SSD fürs Betriebssystem (Win10 bei mir) und Programme verwenden soll, weil da die Schreib/Lese Performance am besten rauskommt, bei Daten nicht so sehr.

So weit so gut, klingt plausibel, kein Gegenargument von mir.

Aber jetzt kommt, was mich verwirrt:

Ich hab wo gelesen, daß die Lebensdauer einer SSD nicht von den Betriebsjahren, oder den Lese-Zyklen abhängt, sondern von der Menge an Write-Traffic (4000GB bei der SSD Plus 2TB, hab ich irgendwo gelesen).

Aber, ist nicht genau das Betriebssystem (und da Windows ganz besonders), das Ding in einem PC, das den meisten Write-Traffic verursacht, und damit die SSD am schnellsten (ab-) nützt? Ich meine, als (ehemaliger) Software-Entwickler weiß ich, daß Windows ja quasi permanent auf der Platte rumkritzelt (Registry, LogFiles, Background-Services, Temp-Ordner, Virtual Memory, etc…).

Ich hab deswegen nicht vor, die neue SSD für mein Daten-Archiv zu nutzen, meine MP3s und Videos spielen deswegen nicht schneller, nur weil sie auf der SSD liegen. Aber ich frage mich trotzdem, wie schnell das Windows die neue SSD niederrichten wird mit dem konstanten, hintergründigen herumschreiben.

Vielleicht überschätze ich die Menge an Write-Traffic ja auch massiv, aber ich frage mich, ob irgend jemand da draußen Erfahrungswerte damit hat, mit dem Write-Volumen vom Betriebssystem im gegensatz zum Daten-Laufwerk.

Jeder Gedanke dazu wird wirtgeschätzt, vielen Dank!

Alexis Van Wien

Hallo fellow SSD-Users,

i have a somewhat silly question, but i cant get it out of my head, and i hope someone of you out there can put my mind at ease.

I just recently bought my very first SSD, a SanDisk SSD Plus 2TB (yes, im kinda late to the party, story of my life,
but up until recently the price per GB didnt suit my wallet, so here we are).

Now, i have read somwehre, that the lifespan of a SSD is not really measured in years, but rather in AmountOfDataWritten, and that it will last for so-and-so many TBs of data written before it fails.

Now, the predominant opinion out there seems to be, that an SSD is best used for the Windows-Drive, and the Programs-Drive, before being used for data, because with windows and programs the Upgrade in Speed comes out best.

So far so good, makes sense to me, no argument there.

But, here’s what confuses me:

Isn’t the Windows-System exactly the #1 cause of Read/Write traffic on the drive its stored on, and as such, the part of the system that supposedly uses/abuses the SSD the most?

I mean, Windows is accessing the disk practically constantly (registry, background services, log files, virtual memory, etc…), where as my data storage is more read than written (MP3 collection, Videos, Pictures, etc…).

Don’t get me wrong, i have no intention on using the SSD for my data archives (the MP3s or Videos wont play faster just because they are on the SSD).

I just wonder if anyone out there has any experience in the “Amount of Write-Traffic” windows causes on an SSD, and its effect on the lifespan. (Maybe i’m overestimating the amount of windows-write-traffic?)

Any thoughts will be highly welcome, thanks in Advance.

Alexis Van Wien

Seems to be a TLC drive, should be ok. If you are worried about write life keep a percentage of the drive empty (look up write amplification), it shouldn’t be hard with 2TB, the more generous the spare area the less hard the drive will work behind the scenes to shuffle the data around. I keep a few hundred GB empty on mine, and at the rate my write life drops it will last forever.

#SanDiskUserRewards