SSD Ultra 120GB New Firmware/ Sleep fix?

Well, I RMA’d mine a few days ago after following the link provided in this thread.  It was fairly easy after telling them I tried it on several pc’s and laptops with it not recognizing at all.  They gave me an RMA # and a pre-paid shipping label.  So at least I don’t have to pay for shipping their defective item back.  That’s a at least 1+ for customer service…we’ll see how the rest goes.

According to tracking, they received it yesterday, but their RMA page hasn’t updated as of today.

I will post again after everything is done and I get another drive…probably going to test it ONE more time in the 1st laptop I had it in…where it worked fine for about a month.  It crashed on the 2nd test laptop after 1 day.  If it fails again, I will RMA again and post it brand new on FleaBay.

Regards,

HaO

My package got there last week (tuesday 3/13).  I waited until Monday to contact them.  They never updated the RMA status page after my initial RMA.  It still does not show received as of 03/22/12.

Howver, when I emailed Monday morning…they emailed me back within an hour or 2 and said they did received it…and they would be mailing me a replacement and “FREE” upgrade to an Extreme for my troubles.  This was very nice of them…I read up on the Extreme and it uses a different Sandforce controller, updated…I believe this will fix our Sleep/Hibernate …dead issue.

So overall, I am happy…I got the Extreme SSD on 3/21/12.  So the total time from shipping was 16 days, only because I waited 2-4 days because I was too busy to mail it off.  It should only take anyone in a hurry around 10-14 days for a turnaround.

I will load an OS up on the extreme SSD, report back…and if anything fails…You will see my post back here. :wink:

Take Care,

~HaO

^ Any good (or bad) news ?

@ed_p wrote:

Sleep is a Windows function, and it doesn’t work well on desktops.  And sometimes not even well on notebooks/netbooks.  Write to Microsoft and ask them when they are going to fix it…

That is a particulary ridiculous comment. Sleep is an OS function available on every OS since at least OS/2 – now including Windows and Linux and everything else. There is hardware support built in to both the CPUs and most peripheral cards. I use sleep all the time on my desktops to save power – reduces a 150w idle system to nearly zero. Don’t you try to reduce power/heat on your systems? If you don’t shame on you.

My kid actually wanted their Sims3 to load faster so it’s in  a desktop now :frowning: lol…Sims3 boot times went from 3-4min to around 30 seconds to 1min…not too bad.

Newegg had a special today 4/11/2012, and I bought 2 more…1 is definitely going in a laptop.  I will test it thoroughly too…I will test the hibernation and sleep modes at least once a day, maybe 2 or 3 times depending on how many times I travel.

So it will be here tomorrow night…I will load a FRESH OS of Windows 7 on my corporate laptop and let you guys know…

(ALSO even though SanDisk’s RMA process was fairly quick compared to most…my status still hasn’t changed on their RMA status page lol…still doesn’t show as received…but I guess it doesn’t matter)

I’ll come back Friday and let you know how it after installing Win 7…I’ll put it in sleep/hibernate mode a few times before going to bed on Thursday.

(I noticed I put it in on 3/21/12, not bad…not one bsod, or lockup since install either)

~HaO

Been running the new extreme SSD in my work laptop.  I was only going to “test” it in my work laptop because I purchased it personally…but it made everything run so much smoother…I don’t want to go back to the old drive.  I put the old drive in my drawer at work…so if I ever quit/leave…I can just pop it back in and be on my way. 

Here are the specs of my old work laptop:

Dell D630 (from everything I read it was only supposed to be sata1)

Core 2 Duo T7700 @ 2.4ghz

4gb Ram

Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise SP1

Sandisk Extreme SSD WEI score: 7.8 (sata1 can score 7.8?? really? )

Been running in this Dell D630 for almost 2 weeks of constant use, and it really has brought this old laptop to life.  I have put it to sleep, hibernation, and powered off with no issues several times.  I just turn everything off everyday now since it boots so quick.

The reason I posted was to follow up on the differences.  I suppose the new controller that the “Extreme” version uses is definitely superior to the “Ultra” models.  As I have not had a problem with sleep, hibernate, or powering off and on. 

~HaO

correct the extreme uses a sandforce 2281 controller series that is not suppose to ahve the sleep issue. 

I am waiting for a firmware update too. I saw BSOD issue quite often these days when using this SSD.

You can update the firmware using the sandisk ssd f/w upgradation toolkit from

SanDisk SSD Toolkit download
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9328/

SanDisk Ultra SSD Firmware release notes
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10192

if you cant upgrade using toolkit, try to burn the iso image using some image burning software like power iso, boot the system using the newly burned disk and it will definately update and will resolve the issue