Shall I keep the Clipjam or exchange for 4gb clip zip plus card - AND A HUGE BOUQUET TO SANDISK

I had an 8 GB Clipzip until recently and it’s just (very kindly - about which more later) been replaced by Sandisk. Unfortunately they no longer had my beloved, so they offered me a Fuze+ or a Clipjam. I opted for the latter because looking at the reviews I thought I’d never get the hang of the Fuze, the Clipjam seemed more what I needed.

Alas, no.

I am a heavy (at least one per day) user of audiobooks (walking, running, gardening, housework - it all adds up) I use the libraries - overdrive and one click digital are the systems used by my locals. I also borrow books in CD form.

It took me a while to get the hang of the Clipjam, but I finally worked out that

(1) The CDs when downloaded to the Clipjam’s audiobooks or even pocast section (as someone suggested) comes up in random order. No amount of editing works and anyway who would edit 20 tracks on every one of 8-15 CDs which is what most audiobooks average? It would take a lifetime.BUT LOADING THE CDs TO THE MUSIC SECTION WORKED.  As I discovered when forced to use my phone as player, a device treats books on CD just as it does music on CD. It is, after all, just a device, however cutesy. So, as it would not randomly play a music CD it won’t randomly play a book.

(2) It won’t read One Click Digital at all and whilst it appears to have downloaded a book I used to test Overdrive, it won’t work. If I plug the Clipjam into my computer, the book shows and I can play it (which I could have done with the computer without the player!) but when the player is removed from the computer it says the book is in an unrecognized format.

(3) Audible books run as one long unbroken recording - but I only use freebie stuff so that’s not a big deal, unless it’s To Kill a Mockingbird or Go Set a Watchman. Very big deal.

Now Sandisk have offered to take back the clipjam and give me a 4GB clipzip plus an 8 GB card (whatever that may be when it’s at home. No doubt, as with everything technological, I will sit here for hours and learn)

MY QUESTION IS - SHOULD I GO BACK INTO MY COMFORT ZONE AND TAKE THE 4GB, LEARNING TO USE THE SD CARD? OR SHOULD I HANG ONTO THE CLIPJAM?

FINALLY,

Let me say a word of thanks to Sandisk. Your customer service is fantastic. Let me tell you, I know what I am talking about. I have had a horrendous few weeks, first with trying to change my household fuel supplier, then with trying to change my ISP. You would not believe the hell I’ve been through, the fruitless hours in queues on phones and “live chat”, the useless staff; the ignored emails.

Then I asked you to replace my Clip Zip and you replied within the promised 2 days - politely and helpfully. When you couldn’t give me an exact replacement, you gave me options. I chose the wrong option for my needs. You’re offering to let me have another bite at the cherry. You even called me (twice) to discuss options with me.

THIS IS WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE SHOULD BE!! WELL DONE.

No question about it:  Clip Zip plus card–the Zip is the most fully-featured of the Clip line. 

And nothing really to “learn” about the card–it’s simply an extra source for the storage of your files, integrated into the database but also separately reachable, just like on your computer. 

@meme wrote:

Now Sandisk have offered to take back the clipjam and give me a 4GB clipzip plus an 8 GB card (whatever that may be . . .

MY QUESTION IS - SHOULD I GO BACK INTO MY COMFORT ZONE AND TAKE THE 4GB , LEARNING TO USE THE SD CARD? OR SHOULD I HANG ONTO THE CLIPJAM?

I would.