Sandisk Clip Jam

Has anyone seen the specifications on this? Is the processor the one in the Clip Zip, or is it the one in the Clip Sport? I hope it is like the Clip Zip, so it is Rockboxable. I see it listed as having 18 hours of battery life, so I am hoping that it does have the processor the Clip Zip had. 

The Clip Jam is based off the same platform as the Clip Sport. All platform limitations that apply to the Clip Sport will also apply to the Clip jam. More info will be posted on the SanDisk Knowledgebase and here later this week. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

I am very disappointed. I will probably buy a Clip Jam, as I bought a Clip Sport, however I am likely to buy  just one, and not a bunch of them as I did with the Clip Zip. Why did Sandisk feel a need to produce the Clip Jam? Why not stick with the Clip Sport? Was it just to use a smaller battery and smaller screen, and to cut the retail price by $10? Is there anything the Clip Jam can do better than the Clip Sport? 

Will Sandisk ever make a premium player, perhaps retailing for $100 with a larger screen, two card slots, and 50+ hours of battery life? 

Instead, it looks like SanDisk is going in the opposite direction.   :frowning:

Instead, it looks like SanDisk is going in the opposite direction.   :cry:

It seems ironic that the latest releases of mp3 players are mostly ridiculously expensive($500-$3,000), under $50, or have very high output but only 10 hours or so of battery life. Why can’t we get a good $100 player with a card slot(preferably two slots) that has 50+ hours of battery life? 

A stripped down version of the already limited Clip Sport. Imagine that…

Maybe it’s for the better though. The Sport gives the impression of being a better and more capable player than it actually is and many gets disappointed with it. A low cost Clip Jam with a really basic display does not raise any such expectations of performance.

I think it’s safe to say that Sandisk has come to the conclusion that it’s only low cost devices that could compete with mobile phones. Personally I would love a good $100 player but most use their mobile phones for music these days and audiophiles already has a bunch of seriously expensive players to choose from.

That’s the Clip Jam showing up on the Sandisk website and I’m left with the worrying thought given its similarity to the Clip+ the latter is going to be killed off despite the older one being better.

Did notice looking at the Jam manual that it does have chapter support for audiobooks something the Sport does not have. Also would hope no delay in the Jam to pause as with the sport which can be 5 seconds sometimes on Podcasts and without the album art and color screen hope it can pause quicker even with the same basic hardware. Would hope this would be a little more podcast/audiobook friendly then the sport. as I myself listen to a language podcasts and the delay in pausing makes the sport unsuitable when I do need to pause the player before the answer is given when doing an MP3 language podcast. This is one reason an MP3 player with buttons is better then a tablet or smart phone in which you can’t do an immediate pause. For a player being a sport player at least I can understand not exact in pause since you are focusing on exercising and not playing or replaying something you are studying. But for a player not being labeled as such hope would be a little more exacting in the podcast/audiobook mode one of the things that has made this player popular. Although suspect the forward and rewind will be the same as the sport which wasn’t as good as on the zip that it starts in small increments.

1 Like

@a_don wrote:
That’s the Clip Jam showing up on the Sandisk website and I’m left with the worrying thought given its similarity to the Clip+ the latter is going to be killed off despite the older one being better.

Clip+ was killed off a long time ago.

@saratoga wrote:



Clip+ was killed off a long time ago.

So those that Sandisk are still selling are purely old stock then? And if so, are the others with that chipset in a similar situation? That would be a huge shame because I find the Sport a big downstep from those older models and I don’t have much hope for the Jam model.

What is the size of the Jam compared to the sport?  I found the sport too big for my use and gave mine away. 

I prefer the slim design of the + or Zip.

@mmcnary wrote:

What is the size of the Jam compared to the sport?  I found the sport too big for my use and gave mine away. 

 

I prefer the slim design of the + or Zip.

Looks to be similar in size to them, the display at least is the same size as the Clip +

http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/

Looks to be pretty much a Sport clone to me . . . unfortunately.

A stripped down Clip Sport, with a smaller screen and smaller battery.

clipfan7 wrote:

“Did notice looking at the Jam manual that it does have chapter support for audiobooks something the Sport does not have. Also would hope no delay in the Jam to pause as with the sport which can be 5 seconds sometimes on Podcasts and without the album art and color screen hope it can pause quicker even with the same basic hardware. Would hope this would be a little more podcast/audiobook friendly then the sport. as I myself listen to a language podcasts and the delay in pausing makes the sport unsuitable when I do need to pause the player before the answer is given when doing an MP3 language podcast. This is one reason an MP3 player with buttons is better then a tablet or smart phone in which you can’t do an immediate pause. For a player being a sport player at least I can understand not exact in pause since you are focusing on exercising and not playing or replaying something you are studying. But for a player not being labeled as such hope would be a little more exacting in the podcast/audiobook mode one of the things that has made this player popular. Although suspect the forward and rewind will be the same as the sport which wasn’t as good as on the zip that it starts in small increments.”

The problem with the Clip Sport (at least with FW 1.22) is that before it pauses, it first lights up the screen, second it loads the screen art, then third it finally stops. It has a similar problem with rewinding in that you push rewind and nothing seems to happen on the screen and then suddenly you rewind too far (And as you point out, It also starts rewinding too quickly).  Since my Clip Sport’s primary function is playing podcasts and I often stop (and or reweind), this is really annoying.  (I also hate that that it automatically loops podcasts and audiobooks – which is just stupid.  My old clip zip did none of these things.)

The reason I bring this to your attention is that the Clip Jam has a smaller screen, and given that it has the same basic hardware and software, it is likely to be quicker on the stops and better on the rewind because it doesn’t have as big of screen to load up, and it might not load the album/screen artwork (my old Clip Zip did not).  As an aside, some of the artwork is huge: the first podcast I looked at had 1400 x 1400 artwork – which is bigger than my computer monitor! 

Note:  It is possible not to load the artwork onto the Clip Sport – It has to be manually removed from the ID tag which is labor intensive.  If you remove the artwork, the stop/start function is much, much better and the rewind is better but not perfect, mainly for the reason you pointed out is that it starts rewinding too quickly.  

Does the Clip Jam have the play all feature as the older Clips had?  I just returned the Sport Clip as it didn’t have this feature and wouldn’t let me play the whole genre and also the color display was hard to read.

it has been psoted before the clip jam is the same platform as the sport so it will ahve the same feture set as the sport. In short if that is the case then no it will not have play all. 

The Clip Sport doesn’t support the genre tag.

I can’t find a photo of the Clip Jam next to the Clip+, Clip Sport, and Clip Zip. It would be interesting to see a photo of these side by side. It would also be interesting to see their exact dimensions and exact weights listed. Why aren’t the weight and dimensions for the Clip Jam and for the Clip Sport listed on the product pages under specifications, as it is for the Clip Zip and Clip+???