Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09

@neutron_bob wrote:

Denying the issue?  Hardly, rest assured.  The initial firmware upddressed refinements to the initial build.  The FM audio gain issue has indeed been noted.  Hey, we’re all human, last time I checked.  The gain preset and steps can be corrected.

Bob  :wink:

That is the feeling I got from the tech support agent that I’ve been working with. We can call it denial, ignorance or innocience. At east they could tell me that it is a known issue and will be resolved in the next firmware upgrade. :slight_smile:

@ifi wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Denying the issue?  Hardly, rest assured.  The initial firmware upddressed refinements to the initial build.  The FM audio gain issue has indeed been noted.  Hey, we’re all human, last time I checked.  The gain preset and steps can be corrected.

That is the feeling I got from the tech support agent that I’ve been working with. We can call it denial, ignorance or innocience. At east they could tell me that it is a known issue and will be resolved in the next firmware upgrade. :slight_smile:

Unless it won’t, i.e., the new firmware version is already nearing release and they don’t want to pull it back in and recode/debug/recompile just for this reason.

@jsmaye wrote:

Unless it won’t, i.e., the new firmware version is already nearing release and they don’t want to pull it back in and recode/debug/recompile just for this reason.

Are you saying that it won’t be fixed in next firmware release either? How do you know that?

Coding, compilation and testing is called trying to fix a problem. And it is a major issue for people like me who purchased this device to listen to FM radio.

@jsmaye wrote:

@ifi wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

It would surprise me if that was the case.  There is usually a longer break between updates, and this one was less than a month ago.

I was just citing an example whereby the customer service person could not commit upon whether a particular feature or bug fix would be in the next firmware release.

@jsmaye wrote:
I was just citing an example whereby the customer service person could not commit upon whether a particular feature or bug fix would be in the next firmware release.

They are still not accepting this to be an issue. I’ve been exchanging emails with SanDisk for last 5 days, here is the last message I received from tech support on FM Radio volume issue:

Thank you for emailing SanDisk Technical Support.

We acknowledge your continued response and cooperation in trying to resolve the issue with your device. We are still exploring the issue that was raised. If you want to return the device, kindly take it back to Best Buy since it was just recently purchased.

Should you have any other questions with our products, please reply to this email.

With all due respect, you need to move on and let SanDisk do its job as it sees fit.  You’ve called the issue to the company’s attention, as have others, and many times over besides, and SanDisk now is aware of it.  Spending more time on this isn’t going to bring a fix faster–it only will cause you more understandable frustration.

I don’t take the response you got to be any sort of a denial of an issue–quite to the contrary.  But at this point, it’s up to the company to act on it, if it wants to/can/sees it as a priority, etc.

In the meanwhile, if it’s a big issue for you, I’d get an inexpensive external cable extender with volume control, from an electronics store like Radio Shack.  A good interim solution, it seems to me.

Thank you for your advice. This is not an open source product. If SanDisk is all that you say it is then I’m sure they do not need anyone to defend them. Trying to fix the issue is one thing they never once admited it to be an issue. Should we all move on with all the issues/questions/concerns making this forum redundant?

The issue is most likely simpler than that.  The Support crew might not hang around the same water cooler as development.  Getting confirmation of a bug fix would involve speaking with the correct person, and that’s a bad idea in itself, since firestorms can easily ensue from concerns, as conflicting responses clash.

I can confirm that a similar issue was resolved with the earlier devices, but this is a new platform, involving new device-specific code (we now have µSDHC).  I’m hopeful for a fix in the next firmware, based upon the past device updates, but if I confirmed it, then I’d know too much, and they’d have to relocate me in the witness protection program.

I like the FM for dozing off personally, on occasion.  Gotta love the Sleep timer.

As a footnote, you’ll see that at the lowest volume step, the play icon does not flip to the Mute icon at that last step, like on the Fuze and e200v2 (same processor family and FM chip).  This kind of hints at the possibility of a bug fix.

In the meantime, one of those wee inline volume controls can be very handy.  Note from my post time, I should be napping and recharging the batteries right now, but you got me thinking.  I’m enjoying a little FM classical as we speak, sleep timer active.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Perusing these forums I see a lot more “my Clip+ freezes up” or “my Clip stops playing” problems than issues with the volume level of the FM player. And assuming a “bug-fix” department of limited staff, money, and time (given this department is overhead, not production), I understand their spending of those limited resources on the more numerous issues first. Not exclusively, but first.

ifi wrote:
Thank you for your advice. This is not an open source product. If SanDisk is all that you say it is then I’m sure they do not need anyone to defend them. Trying to fix the issue is one thing they never once admited it to be an issue. Should we all move on with all the issues/questions/concerns making this forum redundant?

I’m not defending them.  But you’ve called the issue to their attention–what more do you expect is going to happen at this point?  Sending them continuing emails is simply consuming your time and energy (as well as their’s).  I’m actually thinking more about you then SanDisk.  Why not move on and do what you can in the meanwhile.  And in my humble opinion, using an inexpensive audio cable extender with volume control is a decent-enough interim solution.

But to each his or her own.

Do you know of a digital volume control? Will FiiO E5 work to control the volume?

ifi wrote:
Do you know of a digital volume control? Will FiiO E5 work to control the volume?

Yes.

I can not get this firmware to work on my Mac OS X. I have been unable to find out if there even is any firmware update for my sansa clip+ with my Mac. Can you please

provide some further instructions for the Mac OS X? 

And can you please tell me if there are any firmware updates available for sansa clip+ and Mac?

the manual firmware works fine with MAC i only use MAC at home and update all my players using my macbook air. what exactly do you mean by cant get it to work. 

Well if you can get it to work then it must be something that I am doing wrong. On this site I go to the sansa clip+ firmware instructions and I follow the link from where it says to click here for the sansa clip firmware updater. Than downloads onto my computer but it will not open. What do you think I am doing wrong?

misplaced wrote:
Well if you can get it to work then it must be something that I am doing wrong. On this site I go to the sansa clip+ firmware instructions and I follow the link from where it says to click here for the sansa clip firmware updater. Than downloads onto my computer but it will not open. What do you think I am doing wrong?

You’re trying to install the Sansa Firmware Updater, not update the firmware. Click the other link, Firmware Download For All Regions and follow the manual install instructions.

misplaced wrote:

You’re trying to install the Sansa Firmware Updater, not update the firmware. Click the other link, Firmware Download For All Regions and follow the manual install instructions.  The Updater won’t work on your Mac.

Sorry, I don’t see any instructions. I’m not very computer savvy.

OK, I got some help from my post on firmware for mac and I have it all figured out now. :smiley: 

I just did not understand the instructions.