Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09

I’ve made a discovery that I’m not even sure that San Disk knows after
evaluating my problems with Audible books.  Clips will not be Audible Ready until this problem is corrected.

My Clips that are version 2 and have the latest firmware all advance chapter
numbers AND book parts automatically. No way for Vs. 1; it does chapters only.

My Clip+ with the new firmware advances chapters BUT will not change
Audible book parts automatically. Sure hope San Disk will make a vs.2
of it. I only get just over nine hours of battery use before it goes out.
Hope that will be improved too.

Maybe this info will help some Audible fans and it explains why some folks
devices worked and some didn’t.
Donna in AR

I updated (Firmware Download for All Regions) the firmware and found that the choice of the Russian language, some lines were English(message when lock buttons; Track Info…). Translation of some lines slightly incorrect (grammar) - for example when you unlock displays the message “разблокированный”, but more properly “Разблокирован”. Can I manually edit the translation or can you send me all strings to translate?

Message Edited by Alex302 on 02-17-2010 05:39 PM

I know very little about the language issues but the choice of language should have taken place when you updated the firmware.  Did you use updater or did you do it manually?

One of the Gurus on here will have to help you with changing the language, maybe starting over, I don’t know.  1.02.09 will advance Audible chapters for you BUT it will

not advance book parts automatically.

I haven’t seen anyone post on being able to fix a translation–don’t know if that might be user possible, somehow, by editing the firmware on one’s computer.

FM Radio Volume Issue: SanDisk is going to replace my Sansa Clip+ to fix the volume issue…Will this replacement work?

Thank you for emailing SanDisk Technical Support.

We appreciate your continued response and cooperation in trying to resolve the issue with your device.

We will be requesting for the 4GB Black Sansa Clip + replacement. To be able to proceed with the said request, please answer the question below:

- If the replacement request is approved, do you agree to allow SanDisk to share your address, email and phone number with our shipping provider in order to create a shipping label for you?

Should you have any other questions with our products, please reply to this email.

ifi wrote:

FM Radio Volume Issue: SanDisk is going to replace my Sansa Clip+ to fix the volume issue…Will this replacement work?

Thank you for emailing SanDisk Technical Support.

We appreciate your continued response and cooperation in trying to resolve the issue with your device.

We will be requesting for the 4GB Black Sansa Clip + replacement. To be able to proceed with the said request, please answer the question below:

- If the replacement request is approved, do you agree to allow SanDisk to share your address, email and phone number with our shipping provider in order to create a shipping label for you?

Should you have any other questions with our products, please reply to this email.

No this will not fix the issue. your device should not have been replaced. the issue is most likely due to the FM chip witch is used and will not be fixed by replacement since all use the same FM chip.  

I decided to send SanDisk another email, here is what they say:

(xxxxxxxxxxxx 02/17/2010 10:55 AM

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk RMA support. The replacement product that would be sent to you would be a brand new product and there would be no issues with the replacement player.

For further queries you can give us a call on 1-866-726-3475 and choose option 6 for RMA department.

Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Best Regards,
xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx
SanDisk RMA Support

Customer (xxxxxxxxxxxxx) 02/17/2010 09:30 AM
Hi,

I want to make sure that you understand the problem with my Sansa Clip+ is that FM Radio volume is too high even on the lowest setting. I hope you understand that this problem is not specific to my Clip+, all Clip+ owners are facing the same issue. This issue has been reported on Sansa and non-Sansa community forums as a firmware issue. Before I mail my 20 days old Sansa Clip+ I want to make sure that you understand all of above and the
replacement Sansa that you will mail me will actually fix this FM Radio issue?

Please confirm…!
Regards,
-xxxxxxxxxxxx 

ifi wrote:

I decided to send SanDisk another email, here is what they say:

Thank you for contacting SanDisk RMA support. The replacement product that would be sent to you would be a brand new product and there would be no issues with the replacement player.

No issues except the one for which you are returning it; the ‘no-low’ volume. Listen to the Dr (Lucky). He knows this stuff. Your player is no different than anyone else’s. In other words, ALL Clip+ player’s have this peculiarity. To think that getting a new one is going to solve a design/hardware issue that is inherent in every other player of the same model out there is foolish.

So please don’t come back here in a couple of weeks whining how the SanDisk RMA Support person lied to you because they said there would be no issues with the new player, and it still sounds the same as the one you sent back. You were already told this here, but didn’t want to accept it.

As others have noted, the email response you got from SanDisk likely was a canned response. 

Hopefully, the replacement player you receive will resolve your issue.  It is very possible it will not, as your issue seems to be the well-documented volume issue that others have noted.

If it does not, do yourself a favor and get a headphone cable extender with volume control at an electrnics store such as Radio Shack–it will do what you need in the short-term, and you can move on as best as possible in the circumstances.

@miikerman wrote:

As others have noted, the email response you got from SanDisk likely was a canned response. 

Hopefully, the replacement player you receive will resolve your issue.  It is very possible it will not, as your issue seems to be the well-documented volume issue that others have noted.

If it does not, do yourself a favor and get a headphone cable extender with volume control at an electrnics store such as Radio Shack–it will do what you need in the short-term, and you can move on as best as possible in the circumstances.

I agree with you guys. I don’t expect the replacement to resolve the issue either but just decided to play along. I will use my other media player while SanDisk is “fixing” my Clip+.

I have already ordered a Fiio E5 for volume control.

I forgot about the FiiO:  an excellent solution!  I especially like that you can clip the FiiO to your shirt while keeping the Clip+ in a pocket–makes for very handy and fairly unobtrusive remote volume control.

I use the wee FiiO for two situations: first, when using the Clip to drive a set of speakers in the workshop, it gives a gain boost to drive the amplifier properly, and second, with big headphones, it drives them well, and the bass boost is a welcome feature.

You’ll find that its internal lithium battery is easily charged with the same connector as the Clip, a nice touch.

With the FiiO in line, its volume control is quite handy.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

ifi wrote:

I don’t expect the replacement to resolve the issue either but just decided to play along. I will use my other media player while SanDisk is “fixing” my Clip+.

Thank you for your candor and honesty. It’s schmucks like you that drive up manufacturer’s costs unneccessarily and ultimately consumer prices for everyone with that attitude. :angry:

@tapeworm wrote:

Thank you for your candor and honesty. It’s schmucks like you that drive up manufacturer’s costs unneccessarily and ultimately consumer prices for everyone with that attitude. :angry:

What took you so long? :slight_smile: There are some people like you who (apparently) do not work for SanDisk but discourage people from pointing out SanDisk’s  mistakes.

My efforts might improve tech support - they might learn something and won’t repeat this mistake (hopefully). I am the one who had to pay $20 to buy a device to control volume of my $40 SanDisk Clip+. SanDisk need to up its game and train their support people better. I am planning to forward chain of emails with tech support to BBB and SanDisk’s corporate office. You need to Think Positive!!!

Tapeworm wrote:

ifi wrote:

I don’t expect the replacement to resolve the issue either but just decided to play along. I will use my other media player while SanDisk is “fixing” my Clip+.

Wow.  Excuse me but, the OP only is doing what SanDisk told him to do.  And maybe there really is a a volume defect issue that a replacement will take care of.  I don’t see the OP as “scamming” anything–I mean, he’s only getting the same model player back.  Rather, I see this as a last-ditch attempt and hope.

Miikerman wrote:

Wow.  Excuse me but, the OP only is doing what SanDisk told him to do.  And maybe there really is a a volume defect issue that a replacement will take care of.   I don’t see the OP as “scamming” anything–I mean, he’s only getting the same model player back.  Rather, I see this as a last-ditch attempt and hope.

Possibly, but unlikely. The fact remains that he was already told by multiple people in this thread (some in a very good position to know) that this issue is the same in all units. It was in the orignal Clip as well. The problem was compensated for in a firmware update, and most likely will be in this model as well. It just hasn’t happened yet.

I guess I’m just hyper-sensitive to the practice of returning products just for the sake of putting the manufacturers or retailers through their paces when it is known by the consumer that this will not solve the issue they are having. Granted this is only 1 case, but how many others are doing the same thing? Having worked ‘the other side’ for many years, I can tell you this is a huge drain for the company and as I said, results in higher prices for everyone in order to compensate.

The fact that SanDisk offers this generous of a replacement warranty in itself most likely already adds to the cost of the units we pay for presently. They might be $5 or $10 less per unit if SanDisk lowered their warranty period or required people to deal only through the retailers as some of their competition does.

I agree their Tech Support people should know about this issue and that it does not constitute a replacement, but ‘just playing along’ isn’t going to solve the immediate problem, nor fix the communication issue within the company. All it does is make money for UPS for the shipping. It costs everyone else concerned.

Update: Got a phone call after I shopped Clip+, couldn’t understand much what the person was saying because of connection or maybe language issue. Asked her to send me an email, here is what I got.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thanks again for calling SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

Regarding the lowest volume setting of the FM radio as being too loud, I have tested the Sansa Clip+ on our lab and there indeed has a volume difference between FM radio and music player. I cannot guarantee that this issue would be addressed on the next firmware for the Sansa Clip+, however SanDisk is tracking down all cases like this. Rest assured that the lowest volume setting for the FM radio adheres to government’s permissible noise exposure .

Best regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Supervisor

SanDisk Technical Support 

@tapeworm wrote:

Possibly, but unlikely. The fact remains that he was already told by multiple people in this thread (some in a very good position to know) that this issue is the same in all units. It was in the orignal Clip as well. The problem was compensated for in a firmware update, and most likely will be in this model as well. It just hasn’t happened yet.

I guess I’m just hyper-sensitive to the practice of returning products just for the sake of putting the manufacturers or retailers through their paces when it is known by the consumer that this will not solve the issue they are having. Granted this is only 1 case, but how many others are doing the same thing? Having worked ‘the other side’ for many years, I can tell you this is a huge drain for the company and as I said, results in higher prices for everyone in order to compensate.

The fact that SanDisk offers this generous of a replacement warranty in itself most likely already adds to the cost of the units we pay for presently. They might be $5 or $10 less per unit if SanDisk lowered their warranty period or required people to deal only through the retailers as some of their competition does.

I agree their Tech Support people should know about this issue and that it does not constitute a replacement, but ‘just playing along’ isn’t going to solve the immediate problem, nor fix the communication issue within the company. All it does is make money for UPS for the shipping. It costs everyone else concerned.

Dude, see my previous post. Read this " however SanDisk is tracking down all cases like this", this make me think that there might be some people out there who do not have FM volume issue OR maybe SanDisk is not aware of this as an issue with all Clip+. Thanks for pointing out that original Clip had the same issue that was fixed with a firmware update, a good company will not repeat the same mistake and then deny it.

I love UPS and other mail delivery people - so if they make extra money - good for them. These people work so hard to deliver our mail in rough weathers. Globalization does not mean that you can outsource the production and technical support of your products to make one person richer. Let other share some of their profits. SanDisk makes enough money on selling their storage products. At times they are twice as expensive as other brands. However this forum is to help SanDisk improve their products. I respect freedom of speech BUT your opinion is your opinion and matters not to me.

im a big fan of sansa, quality is good and the price is just, right…

i bought a sansa plus today and  i must admit its not a turn down yet excellent in most aspect, but what ive notice was the hold function, which even activated when power button was press the unit just turns off, as what im thinking hold should cancel all button except the one to call for un-hold.

hope u guys can address this issue soon, probably on the next update, thanks…

@backfire12 wrote:

im a big fan of sansa, quality is good and the price is just, right…

i bought a sansa plus today and  i must admit its not a turn down yet excellent in most aspect, but what ive notice was the hold function, which even activated when power button was press the unit just turns off, as what im thinking hold should cancel all button except the one to call for un-hold.

hope u guys can address this issue soon, probably on the next update, thanks…

I would expect that to be because you need to be able to use that button to soft reset the device if something goes wrong.