Sansa Clip CODEC used in Original Firmware

i want to know if sansa firmware using mp3 decoder licensed from IIS Fraunhofer, as listed in manual brochure.

is it true ?

same with iPod which using the same decoder…

Looking at the decoder theres nothing in it to indicate who made it.  Unless you have access to the Fraunhofer arm decoder binary to compare to the one on the Clip, I don’t think theres anyway to verify it.

Any reason you care who they bought the decoder from?

i was concern about sound quality, comparing OF with rockbox…

rockbox using an open source version of codec, it sound different with OF…

i hear the sound quality, that the original firmware are more deep in low frequency.

* NOTE : all equalizer is FLAT - DEFAULT condition.

If you turn off all the DSP effects and such in both firmwares, theres no difference in output.  If you’re hearing one, theres probably something still enabled somewhere.

Regarding MP3 decoders, I rewrote quite a bit of code in the rockbox one, and I can assure you theres no difference in quality between different decoders.  The spec defines how a decoder must sound, and pretty much all of them meet the spec and thus sound the same.  

as much as i know… codec quality have an effect for sound quality produced by the device… the codec define frequency mapping for every bit of data

<<correct me if i’m wrong>>

so many people said that, LAME codec are better than IIS Fraunhofer…

but, in iPod, they using Fraunhofer licensed codec, and i think also in Sansa.

as we know, fraunhofer is Germany company/organization who develop mp3 format.

so my conclusion is, the engineer of mp3 could make a better codec than anyone else.

it’s just my opinion.

oh ya, when sansa will update it’s sansa Clip + firmware ? the battery indicator isn’t linear measurement, and  i hope it will be fixed soon.

@esgikey wrote:

as much as i know… codec quality have an effect for sound quality produced by the device… the codec define frequency mapping for every bit of data

<<correct me if i’m wrong>>

No, thats not correct.  The chose of decoder does not impact quality.  They all produce essentially the same output, ignoring some rounding error.  If you have some difference between the two firmwares, its probably not the codec.  Have you tried running RMAA to measure it?

@esgikey wrote:

so many people said that, LAME codec are better than IIS Fraunhofer…

Lame is generally used as an encoder, not a decoder.  It more efficiently encodes files into MP3s, but that doesn’t have anything to do with actually playing a file.

@esgikey wrote:

oh ya, when sansa will update it’s sansa Clip + firmware ? the battery indicator isn’t linear measurement, and  i hope it will be fixed soon.

My guess is that they will not update the Clip+ firmware again.  But if the battery indicator is nonlinear that probably means your battery is a bit weird, and a software update is unlikely to fix that.

@saratoga wrote:

My guess is that they will not update the Clip+ firmware again.  But if the battery indicator is nonlinear that probably means your battery is a bit weird, and a software update is unlikely to fix that.

but, i think my battery is OK, when i using Rockbox, the battery indicator show the linear decrement, far form OF, when it reach 50%, the battery drain faster than before… so think this is ths OF bug, i’ve already post this question into this forum.

Yes, in fact, the Clip+ battery gauge is wonky–unknown if SanDisk will be doing anything about it (it’s been commented upon for more than a year). 

@miikerman wrote:

Yes, in fact, the Clip+ battery gauge is wonky–unknown if SanDisk will be doing anything about it (it’s been commented upon for more than a year). 

yups…