Sansa Clip+ 4gb ... not the end of the line?

Months ago people were asking if there was going to be a firmware update to the Clip, and the general response was “nah, they’re phasing this model out.”  Then today at Target I see the new Sansa Clip+ 4gb players that accept SecureDigital cards.  [image: Clip+]  So does that imply they’re not done developing for it afterall?

I haven’t been paying attention here so if this has been covered already, so be it…

Mushroom wrote:

Months ago people were asking if there was going to be a firmware update to the Clip, and the general response was “nah, they’re phasing this model out.”  Then today at Target I see the new Sansa Clip+ 4gb players that accept SecureDigital cards.  [image: Clip+]  So does that imply they’re not done developing for it afterall?

I haven’t been paying attention here so if this has been covered already, so be it…

Its a new player. Its a new product in Sandisks line.

Perhaps a clarification:  the Clip+ is a continuation of the Clip line; a continuation but with improvements/enhancements and its own (similar but still distinct) firmware.  Kind of like the annual continuations of music player lines done by the fruit company. 

The Clip + is 

:smiley:

It does appear that firmware development for the original Clip (non-plus) has halted, though. The higher-ups said we may get another firmware “if time allows”.

gwk1967 wrote:

It does appear that firmware development for the original Clip (non-plus) has halted, though. The higher-ups said we may get another firmware “if time allows”.

And given that there has not yet been an update to the new player, even amidst issues with the battery, etc., I would guess that time will not allow very soon.

Oh, I’m sure a kind developer will have the 1-2 days needed for an updated Clip firmware during the slow Silicon Valley month of December (when many tech. businesses temporarily shut down) …

Miikerman wrote:
Oh, I’m sure a kind developer will have the 1-2 days needed for an updated Clip firmware during the slow Silicon Valley month of December (when many tech. businesses temporarily shut down) …

You are most definitely a “glass half full” kind of guy. :smileyvery-happy:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Miikerman wrote:

You are most definitely a “glass half full” kind of guy. :smileyvery-happy:

We are talking about people who make business decisions. So the glass is not half empty or half full but rather 2 times bigger than it needs to be.

@miikerman wrote:

And it might go the other way (hope not)! December is layoff month so the big boys profit bar graphs rise. That company performance bonus is all that matters to many of the brass.

Hello, me again…  Thank you all for the information.  So it’s a Clip and yet not that Clip, so a firmware update for the existing models isn’t an absolute. :-/  Stay optimistic, and glad to see we’re still a lively community here. :smiley: