sansa clip+ 4gb memory

out of the box, my sansa clip+ only has 3.45 GB/ 3.66MB. thats almost 200mb gone? what this?

and also, I cant find where the preinstalled music is. I need to delete them.?

Presumably, the space taken up is by the firmware and operational files.  Plus, at least my players have come with 5 free songs, preloaded.

If you want, the songs (if on your player) can be deleted from and via your player; or via your computer.  Note that the Clip has 2 USB computer connection modes, MTP and MSC, set under the player’s system settings (there also is Auto, which tries first for MTP mode and then will fall back to MSC).  The “trick” is, when connected to your computer, the computer only can see the files that had been transferred to the Clip in the USB mode that the computer then is connected under.  The pre-loaded songs were put on the Clip under MTP mode–you may need to switch to that USB mode for your computer to see them.

As to the 2 USB modes: 

MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer, needed for MTP mode)–some people prefer it.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode.

Also, a good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP, rather than leaving it at Auto:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

That’s all the “usuable” space you’re going to get on a 4GB unit. Some of it is taken up by firmware, RAM and protected operating files and then of course, there’s the math difference. 4GB in marketing or advertisiing speak is not the same as actual physical space.

To find and/or delete the pre-installed music/video samples, you must connect in MTP mode.

That’s all the “useable” space you’re going to get on a 4GB unit. Some of it is taken up by firmware, RAM and protected operating files and then of course, there’s the math difference. 4GB in marketing or advertising speak is not the same as actual physical space.

To find and/or delete the pre-installed music/video samples, you must connect in MTP mode.