Sandisk PLEASE update/modify your sandisk toolkit to recognise drives in Raid!

Hi

Could you please immediately update or modify your sandisk toolkit so that

a- recognise sandisk extreme ssd’s in raid configuration? eg RAID 0

b- be able to update the firmware of the drives whilst in raid configuration

c- perhaps allow users to select which drive they have and hence most appropriate firmware too.

This will become a big issue especially with enthusiasts.

I currently have 2 extremes in RAID 0. No matter what I do your software does not recognise I have a sandisk extreme ssd (perhaps it looks at control panel info rather than read actual hardware firmware info?)  whereas other softwares eg crystaldiskinfo does recognise what I have.

Moving past this first major hurdle to updating the firmware is impossible but even if one looks for a direct approach its not possible. The firmware is not listed or hosted anywhere and since sandisk doesnt even recognise my 2 extreme ssds it wont let me have the appropriate firmware or be able to select what I have and download it manually and apply it directly.

Even if you were able to somehow miraculously go past both of those hurdles it still wont update drives in a Raid configuration.

PLEASE fix this asap and update your toolkit to allow for those options and perhaps offer direct downloads of the firmwares that customers know is appropriate.

And it should be able to do all of the above including update drives in Raid 0 configuration because drives from Western Digital and Seagate are all able to update the firmware of the drives even in raid configuration as it recognises how many is in the raid array and which ones you would like to update. This includes their hybrid solutions such as momentus xt and ssd drives from other manufacturers eg OCZ.

Right now its a nightmare trying to update the firmware on the drives as the only option would be to install windows on another hard drive install toolkit and update EACH sandisk drive INDIVIDUALLY outside of a raid array!

@ evangelionstar , I too run 2 Extremes in a raidO and windows 7 64 bit what I did was create a system image saved on my back-up drive then downloaded and made a bootable usb with the firmware the went to bios and deleted raidO  then CTRl alt delete and hit f8 while booting and booted to the usb drive and updated both drives 1 at a time and then recreate the raidO (I called mine Windows 7 in bios) booted off the windows 7 disk and reloaded the image took 15 minutes total.

Need help let me know.

thanks for your input hewlett.

We shouldnt have to go through any of this just to be able to update the firmware on our drives.

I could not download the firmware etc on its own as I couldnt find it listed anywhere and the toolkit program wouldnt detect it.

I ended up having to borrow another hdd setup windows on it download toolkit update each ssd individually and then reset raid. It took wayyy longer than 15mins.

Completely normal for SSDs, not one SSD manufacture, not even Intel, is able to update firmware when SSDs are in a RAID array.

What RAID system are you using? Windows? Intel or AMD software RAID? One of the many RAID cards made by many manufactures?

You’ve been given two different methods to accomplish a firmware update in RAID, one in this thread, and the other in the R201 firmware thread that I posted. My method is quicker, but we still don’t know what kind of RAID you are using.

Good luck finding a SSD that allows firmware updates of drives in a RAID array, they don’t exist.

True you can’t update firmware in an array anywhere else,but also true that the current process is limited.

Other manufacturers also provide an alternate means for updating aside from windows that I have yet to find here.

Where is the bootable ISO for people with raid array’s?

We wouldn’t have to jump through hoops to update, just simply change their setting in bios to AHCI and maybe switch the ports.

Then boot from ISO and Viola! your drives are recognized as two or more drives.Simple solution.

Doesn’t matter what raid you use the updater see’s them as individual drives for updating .

Honestly I’d expect more from a leading manufacturer like Sandisk. Btw if the ISO does exist please provide me with a  link,otherwise these are going back to the retailer.

Regards

Crankshaft

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD-Firmware-download-for-MAC-and-Linux-and-PC/td-p/274488

Maybe you should read the stickies before you post a comment?

The normal process simply creates a boot USB anyway, so firmware updates are never done in windows anyway.

Yes I know it is available for the x series but I don’t see it anywhere for the low end ssd’s.

Unless those will work with them as well. Otherwise it’s windows toolkit for the rest of them.

Unless you’d like to share another link,that most people can’t find.

Regards

Crankyshaft

@crankshaft wrote:

Yes I know it is available for the x series but I don’t see it anywhere for the low end ssd’s.

Unless those will work with them as well. Otherwise it’s windows toolkit for the rest of them.

Unless you’d like to share another link,that most people can’t find.

Regards

Crankyshaft

What SSD do you have. You are posting in the Sandisk Extreme SSD forum, so I assumed you had a sandisk extreme drive?

I have 4 extremes and 4 low end series. I commented here because of the raid topic

.I noticed it while searching for an ISO for the low end SSd’s

I didn’t want to start a thread or post a comment in that rarely visited SSD section.

Also didn’t want to hijack this thread,I apologize and thanks for the response anyway.

the SanDisk SSD (low end) shipps with the latest Frimware. There currently is no update available. if one is released it will be posted to the SanDisk SSD board.