SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64GB

I bought the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64GB direct from SanDisk for my Dell XPS 14z in Windows 7 Home Premium.  It came in today and doesn’t work.  Something like 4 or 5 files came up I don’t know what they mean.  There are no instructions.  I read these posts.  They are all over my head.  I can’t even explain what happened.  It just didn’t work.  The only thing I know I did right was put it in the 3.0 port next to the internet cable.  The first time I got a message that said something like “my door was open and I should shut it.”  That sure made sense.  I ejected it and tried again.  The only thing I know how to do is mail it back to SanDisk and tell them it doesn’t work.  I own an 8GB SanDisk flash drive that always worked.  This one was for more capacity.  I don’t know what to do.

" It came in today and doesn’t work.  Something like 4 or 5 files came up I don’t know what they mean."

:confounded: What are you expecting it to do when you plug it in?  It’s a storage device.   You can see files on it with Windows Explorer.  It’s working.

The 4-5 files you see probablyy relate to an app named SecureAccess.  Do any of the files have a name like that?

Thanks, Ed P, for the reply.  I have hope now.

This is what I see in the first box:

AutoPlay

Removable Disk (E:)

Always do this for pictures:

Picture options

Import pictures and videos

using Windows

Import pictures and videos

using Windows Live Photo Gallery

View pictures

using Windows Live Photo Gallery

Add Files

using Roxio Home Data

Copy Disc

using Roxio Home Copy

Organize and Edit

using Adobe Elements Organizer 9.0

General options

Open folder to view files

using Windows Explorer

Speed up my system

using Windows ReadyBoost

View more AutoPlay options in Control Panel

Wanting to place a copy of Dell XPS 14z My Documents on the Flash Drive I clicked:

Copy Disc

using Roxio Home Copy

Sonic Solutions

End User License Agreement appeared so I registered for the “starter” deal with Roxio that will no doubt soon expire.

Now back to the original programming of:

Copy Disc

using Roxio Home Copy

But that choice is nowhere to be found because I was sent off to Sonic Solutions and onto Roxio Online Registration for Roxio Creator Starter.

But I see Removable Disk (E:) with the Flash Drive which at this point shows:

club_application

SanDiskSecureAccess

cacert.pem

RunClubSanDisk

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win

I have no idea what this means or what to check.  For lack of a better option I select one of the two that are applications:

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win

Nothing happened for several minutes, then this message:

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe – Drive Not Ready

The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open.  Please check drive\Device\Harddisk1\DR3 and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.

Cancel           Continue        Try Again

I read somewhere that SanDisk tricks the computer into thinking the Flash Drive is a CD-ROM for some reason.  The CD-ROM on my Dell XPS 14z is a slot without a door.

I clicked Continue.

There’s no sign of anything happening.

After several minutes this message appeared:

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe – Wrong Volume

The wrong volume is in the drive.  Please insert volume into Drive E:.

Cancel           Continue        Try Again

I don’t know what to make of this.  I have a couple of flash drives and they all light up when the flash drive is inserted.  This Flash Drive has never lit up.  That’s why I don’t think the thing works.

I tried to run some diagnostics on my Dell XPS 14z to see if the 3.0 port is dead but I can’t seem to find anything for diagnostics.  I think the 3.0 port is alive because my ^ that has the “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” shows up a choice.  It’s never a choice at ^ when there’s nothing in the port and I have the Flash Drive in the port next to the internet cable port which is where my son told me the 3.0 port would be located.

Sorry to be long winded but this is what I’m seeing and why I’m saying this thing doesn’t work.  I appreciate Ed P reading this and pointing me in the right direction and there’s no way to explain the problem without replicating what I’m seeing.

I used the SanDisk 8GB right out of the box and never had a problem.

This is what I see in the first box:”

??  I have no idea what that means or is referring to.

I read somewhere that SanDisk tricks the computer into thinking the Flash Drive is a CD-ROM for some reason.  The CD-ROM on my Dell XPS 14z is a slot without a door.”

That’s not how this USB drive is configured, so unrelated to the problem.

"But I see Removable Disk (E :smiley: with the Flash Drive which at this point shows:

club_application

SanDiskSecureAccess

cacert.pem

RunClubSanDisk

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win"

Not sure what you were seeing before this point.  But the files/folders listed here are what a normal SanDisk drive contains.

_"_I have no idea what this means or what to check.  For lack of a better option I select one of the two that are applications:

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win_"_

A good choice.  It’s an app that allows you to store files on the drive in a secure manner.  It’s just an option not a requirement .

"Nothing happened for several minutes, then this message:

RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe – Drive Not Ready

The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open.  Please check drive\Device\Harddisk1\DR3 and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.

Cancel           Continue        Try Again"

Not sure why SecureAcces won’t run on your pc.  Maybe your antivirus software is interfereing with it.  Or some other app.  Regardless the app along with the other files & folders on the USB drive are not required for using the drive as a normal portable storage device.  In fact they can all be deleted which is probably your best approach.

I don’t know what to make of this.  I have a couple of flash drives and they all light up when the flash drive is inserted.  This Flash Drive has never lit up.  That’s why I don’t think the thing works.”

The fact that you can see the files on it and can access them indicates the drive is functioning.  Why it’s not lighting up I don’t know nor do i know what the lighting means on your device/machine.  Read access?  Write access?  In use?   Try copying some large files to it and see if the light comes on.