SanDisk Drive corrupted, how to recover data?

Hello, I am using a 32GB SandIsk USB Drive, I plugged it in a linux machine and I am not able to see anything, I plugged it into a windows machine and it says to format it, but If I format it then how do I recover my data, please tell how do I recover my data from the usb?

1 Like

Plug it into the Windows machine, open a Command Prompt window and run a CHKDSK command for the USB’s drive letter. You may have to Safely Remove the drive and reinsert it after the CHKDSK has been run.

2 Likes

Firstly, you’d better do not format the USB. Try following methods…

1. Go to Disk Management to see if the USB is there, and if it is shown as RAW. If so, you need to format it.
  2. Check if the USB’s file system is not recognized by Windows, like Ext2/3/4. Just convert file system with Partition Wizard.
  3. If it has bad sectors, try running CHKDSK to fix error.

If these tips don’t work, you have to format the USB, and then run a data recovery program (many choices from google) to scan the USB and recover data as soon as possible.

Hi,
You can try this method to recover your data before formatting, hope this will help you.Thanku

1. Choose the flash drive to scan. Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and choose your flash drive where you lost important files. …
  2. Check and preview flash drive data. …
  3. Restore flash drive data

Kathy makes a good point TheBlapse. If you formatted the drive in a Linux machine it may very well be formatted as a Ext2/3/4 drive and that is indeed unreadable by Windows but the files are still there so don’t format the drive in Windows.

Find another Linux system or see if the app Kathy suggested. The free version doesn’t look like it works with Linux file systems but the $159 Professional version might.

The EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard’s $69 version may work with Linux formatted drives but I didn’t see it referenced in the free version.

Let us know what works for you.

There are new options for accessing linus file systems in windows linux sub systems for windows.

Can also just install a virtual machine as well.

#SanDiskUserRewards

1 Like

Using a virtual machine requires the user learning how to use a linux.

Does the WSL 2 system support booting ext4 drives?

And does WSL 2 support reading ext2 drives?

1 Like

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble recovering data from a corrupted SanDisk USB drive. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue.

I would recommend using Stellar Photo Recovery Premium to recover your data. Stellar Photo Recovery Premium is a powerful data recovery tool that can recover data from a variety of storage devices, including USB drives.

To use Stellar Photo Recovery Premium, simply follow these steps:

1. Download and install Stellar Photo Recovery Premium on your computer.
  2. Connect your SanDisk USB drive to your computer.
  3. Launch Stellar Photo Recovery Premium and select the “USB Drive” option.
  4. Click the “Scan” button to scan your USB drive for lost data.
  5. Once the scan is complete, you will be able to preview the lost data.
  6. Select the files that you want to recover and click the “Recover” button.

Stellar Photo Recovery Premium is a paid software, but it offers a free trial that you can use to test the software before you purchase it.

I hope this helps!

Here are some additional tips for recovering data from a corrupted SanDisk USB drive:

• Do not format the USB drive. Formatting will erase all of the data on the drive, making it impossible to recover.
  • Do not write any new data to the USB drive. Writing new data can overwrite the lost data, making it even more difficult to recover.
  • Use a data recovery tool as soon as possible. The sooner you start the recovery process, the better the chances of recovering all of your lost data.

Lizzy are you recommending the $69.99 version or the $99.99 version of the Stellar app? Are there discounts for seniors?

Hi, when you will check Stellar’s website, you will get a free edition too. You can go for that one which can recover the limited number of files and you can search for the discount codes for the full edition on the website itself.