Revision change?

I used the sansa updater to install the newest firmware on my fuze and the new firmware in the info section says “V01.01.22A” which means it’s revision one. Now I am not exactly 100% sure but I remember that it said it was a revision 2 before I updated it. Is my mind forgetful or can a glitch like this happen?

P.s. It doesn’t affect the functionality of the fuze. I’m just confused about this “thing”

Message Edited by d_headshot on 12-16-2008 01:36 PM

The wrong firmware won’t install on the wrong version of the hardware, so you must have had a v1 all along.

Message Edited by pelago on 12-17-2008 10:12 PM

The Updater reads the revision of the device and downloads the appropriate update…usually.  I won’t dare claim it always does, since weird stuff happens, but a couple of Revision 2 owners reported a distinct error when they tried.  If it did somehow put the wrong revision on, I can’t imagine that it would work properly.  The hardware is sufficiently different, otherwise there wouldn’t be a Revision 2.  You could probably check with Sandisk Support and give them the serial number and they could tell you for sure which revision it is.  Apparently they haven’t been out very long, like only a couple of weeks or so.

@jkj1962 wrote:

The Updater reads the revision of the device and downloads the appropriate update…usually.  I won’t dare claim it always does, since weird stuff happens, but a couple of Revision 2 owners reported a distinct error when they tried.  If it did somehow put the wrong revision on, I can’t imagine that it would work properly.  The hardware is sufficiently different, otherwise there wouldn’t be a Revision 2.  You could probably check with Sandisk Support and give them the serial number and they could tell you for sure which revision it is.  Apparently they haven’t been out very long, like only a couple of weeks or so.

Yeah I looked at the back of my fuze and it had the serial number with the -8GB thing at the end so I’ll send them an email. Is there any specific email address or subject I should send to?

I sent them an email a couple of days ago. They haven’t replied back yet.

The revision 1 versus revision 2 boards are slightly different.  The Sansa Updater will automatically follow the device firmware “path” for either revision of Fuze.  If you try to manually install the incorrect version, the Fuze won’t accept the binary file.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@pelago wrote:
The wrong firmware won’t install on the wrong version of the hardware, so you must have had a v1 all along.
Message Edited by pelago on 12-17-2008 10:12 PM

this

they should make everyone return there fuze’s to get the revision 2

As far as we know, there is nothing actually wrong with revision 1. The two are just different, not one better than the other.

@delonh24 wrote:
they should make everyone return there fuze’s to get the revision 2

Don’t “diss” my happy little Revision 1 Fuze!!  There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the machine.

The only reason I can see for going with a new one is for three reasons:

*  Your wife won’t give your new Fuze back.

*  You would like more internal memory.

*  You would like a new color.

In cases (2) and (3), if your wife wants more internal memory, or likes the color of your Fuze batter, well, she wins the new Fuze.

What do you think?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

i am not dissing anybody’s revision 1 i am just saying if they were releasing a new one the should  inform people cause revision 2 might be able to handle certain thing like no song limited or a faster processor or even better video playback and why is tapeworm disrespecting people you don’t want to meet me face to face

@delonh24 wrote:
i am not dissing anybody’s revision 1 i am just saying if they were releasing a new one the should  inform people cause revision 2 might be able to handle certain thing like no song limited or a faster processor or even better video playback

I doubt it, if it did then it would be a new model not just a rev.

but isn’t that a revision though like the v2 of the e200 models the v2 had a faster processor an supported more stuff

The v2 e200 was completely different from the v1 device.  The v1 has a PortalPlayer / NVIDIA processor, and the v2 has the new AustriaMicrosystems processor common to the Clip and Fuze.

This is different from the situation in the Fuze, as it’s a revision, and not a completely new design.  Revision changes are common in electronic devices, as supplier device tolerances change with improvements in production, or the engineers find that production devices aren’t as close to specified tolerances as they’d like.

If you look inside the average audio device, like a receiver or television, you’ll often find entire sections of the circuit board that are “unpopulated” with devices.  There will be device maskings on the board, and lots of wee holes, but the production board has been changed.

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Don’t “diss” my happy little Revision 1 Fuze!!  There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the machine.

In cases (2) and (3), if your wife wants more internal memory, or likes the color of your Fuze batter, well, she wins the new Fuze.

What do you think?

I’m never returning my fuze because it works properly, has new firmware properly installed, and because it’s way passed futureshop’s return policy. If they came out with a 16 gb black fuze I’d buy it but since I’m not old enough to get married, who should I give my silver fuze to? :smiley:

Message Edited by d_headshot on 12-23-2008 11:26 PM

@d_headshot wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

What do you think?

I’m never returning my fuze because it works properly, has new firmware properly installed, and because it’s way passed futureshop’s return policy. If they came out with a 16 gb black fuze I’d buy it but since I’m not old enough to get married, who should I give my silver fuze to? :smiley:

Well, if it’s an 8GB model, I would take it:wink: lol

@marvin_martian wrote:

@d_headshot wrote:

Well, if it’s an 8GB model, I would take it:wink: lol

An 8GB, plus my 8GB card, would let me carry almost my entire library around…that would be cool. Of course, as soon as the 16GB cards come down, I am there:wink:

@d_headshot wrote:

Ah, that’s easy!

I’d give it to me Mum!  'At’s a good boy, then!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: