Podcast issue - genre tag

Hi all. I’m enjoying my Clip+ but I recently noticed an issue with files I drag to the podcast folder.

Unless the MP3’s genre tag is podcast , then it seems it doesn’t show up.

I subscribe to a few podcasts which either have a blank genre tag, or are tagged with something like comedy , other - and in one bizarre case, blues.

It’s a bit of a PITA to revert to browsing by folder or to have to edit the file’s tags.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, hopefully it’s not by design and can be fixed. :smiley:

Message Edited by limawhiskey on 12-23-2009 09:22 PM

“Unless the MP3’s genre tag is podcast, then it seems it doesn’t show up.”

Are you sure those files are indeed in the podcast folder? When dragging and dropping, it is too easy to not put the files where you intended to put them. I use copy and paste rather than drag and drop.

Thanks for the reply.

JK98 wrote: Are you sure those files are indeed in the podcast folder?

Yes, I’m sure. The files appear there when browsing by folder. I know there is also an unknown category for podcasts; they don’t appear there either. The only ones that do are those with a blank album tag.

So you’re saying they should appear regardless of genre tag?

Have you tried downloading the firmware again and reinstalling it? I suggest using the firmware ending in 26.

PS. When I answered this initially I thought this was for the Fuze and not the Clip+. There is no firmware available for downloading for the Clip+.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-24-2009 11:04 AM

It appears, from what you are saying, that having the genre field filled in with some non-Podcast listing countermands in the Podcast folder.  That wouldn’t surprise me, although I guess SanDisk could have the player ignore the field for files in the Podcast folder. 

And so, are you saying that having the genre field filled in with some non-Podcast listing countermands when the file is in the Podcast folder?  That wouldn’t surprise me, although I guess SanDisk could have the player ignore the genre field for files in the Podcast folder.

I just checked my Clip+. In both the internal memory and card memory I have mp3 files in the podcasts folder that have genres other than podcast and my Clip+ treats them as podcasts(they are listed when I go to the podcast submenu. Something is wrong on your player. Perhaps your tags could be in a wrong format? Perhaps you could try deleting the podcasts folder on the main memory and the card in the player, and let the player create these again automatically next time it is turned on.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-24-2009 05:10 PM

Good to hear as to the podcast folder default–makes sense.

And um, perhaps I’m missing something, but:  this is the Clip+, right, and so there is no Clip+ firmware to download and install yet?  Perhaps just reset the player and reformat it, and start again from scratch.

I was reading the Fuze board, and didn’t realize I crossed over into the Clip+ board. There is no firmware available to download for the Clip+. Why didn’t Sandisk at least post a link to where the firmware can be downloaded for the Clip+? Some people might have corrupted firmware that needs to be reloaded.

I wonder if some people created their own subfolder named podcasts and put files in there rather than using the ones created by the player.

Using Reset Factory Settings did nothing. I have found a workaround but the problem would seem to be a genuine bug.

The workaround is to drop the files into a subdirectory of PODCASTS. After moving the problem files into any subdirectory they appear in the player’s Podcast submenu and are now treated as podcasts by the player.

@jk98 wrote:
I just checked my Clip+. In both the internal memory and card memory I have mp3 files in the podcasts folder that have genres other than podcast and my Clip+ treats them as podcasts(they are listed when I go to the podcast submenu.

Are your files within other subdirectories? This could explain it. I’d be willing to bet if you moved them up to the PODCASTS directory then they’d disappear from the Podcast submenu.

P.S. Merry Christmas to all :slight_smile:

Message Edited by limawhiskey on 12-25-2009 08:07 PM

"Are your files within other subdirectories? This could explain it. I’d be willing to bet if you moved them up to the PODCASTS directory then they’d disappear from the Podcast submenu. "

They are, however I don’t think that makes a difference. Do your podcasts have an album tag?  On the player when one goes to the podcast submenu, the podcast albums are listed. If you don’t have album tags, everything will be grouped under unknown.

JK98 wrote: They are, however I don’t think that makes a difference. Do your podcasts have an album tag?  On the player when one goes to the podcast submenu, the podcast albums are listed. If you don’t have album tags, everything will be grouped under unknown.

Well, it definitely seems to make a difference. I’ve tested it with a dozen files with various permutations of tag type and genre tag value, etc. I’ve watched the player do what I describe when moving a file from the PODCASTS directory to a subdirectory and back.

I know the behaviour you’re describing should be how it works and it largely is the case, aside form the bug I’ve pointed out.

However I’d welcome somebody else testing it too, just to confirm I’m not going mad! :smiley: