Over the Head Earphones?

New to the Clip.  4gig, v2, current fw.  I like the Sansa earbuds, good sound at half volume.  Bought a cheap oth set and had to increase volume almost to full.  And yes, driving larger speakers would make some difference.  I don’t know the impedance of the earbuds, but the oth was 32 ohms.

My questions:

Anyone know the Clip specs, didn’t find anything on the web site?

Is almost full volume normal with oth earphones?

Thanks, Mike

My Sony full cover headphones take a lot higher volume setting (close to full) than my Sony buds (often the last click before total mute.)  Works for me… if full volume isn’t enough for your setup, then you either need an external headphone amp or a different (most likely larger) player.

32 ohm drivers typically require more output to drive them properly.  The Sansa is optimized for 16 ohm drivers, the most common impedance out there.

To enjoy 32 ohm or higher full-size drivers, you can use a headphone amplifier like the Fiio E3 or E5.  I like these units, as they are inexpensive, and they’re teeny like the Clip!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

My KSC75’s are 60ohm 'phones, but with an E3 they go quite loud:smiley:

Thanks for the replies, both helpful.  Glad to know the ideal impedance, and I didn’t know there were headphone amps out there.

Regards, Mike

Try dealextreme.com (which currently has the pricing edge) or mp4nation.net for very good prices on the FiiO amps, which currently are under $8 for the E3 and under $20 for the E5 models (this includes shipping, no less, for all but the E3 model at MP4 Nation; these are great prices–the E5 is new (it only issued out in December) and its price has come down already).

Try dealextreme.com and mp4nation.net for very good prices on the FiiO amps, which currently are under $7-8 for the E3 and around $19 for the E5 models (this includes international shipping, no less; these are great prices–the E5 is new (it only issued out in December) and its price has come down already).