Organizing podcasts

Now that I know how to download podcasts (and thanks for the help on that), I am wondering what is the best way to organize them. So far, I am listening to three programs on a regular basis and would like to keep them in separate folders. I can do that on the computer, but they don’t seem to be in the same folders when I look for them on the Clip.

Here is what I did: create two separate folders in the Podcast folder using my computer files system (XP); copy and paste two podcasts from ITunes into one folder and one into the other. Named the folders. 

Here is what happened when I disconnected the Clip: After refreshing the database, one folder has the right name, the other folder says unknown. The folder I put two podcasts in has only one and the other one now has two.  However, when I reconnect the Clip, it looks like it is supposed to-right names, podcasts in the proper folder. Is it a matter of renaming them or is there another trick I am missing? Thanks.

Message Edited by TomD on 10-14-2008 05:36 PM

As I understand it, the Clip doesn’t use/support folders.  You are going to have to change the tags to accomplish this.  Try changing the Artist or Album tag and this should group your podcasts the way you want.

Yep.  Although you still can use your folders for your filing (not display) organization.

Thanks, I will give that a try. The strange thing is that when the Clip loads into my computer as an external drive, I see the folders just as I would on a flash drive, but when it actually refreshes the database, they move around. That doesn’t make sense why it is designed that way. I know nothing about programming, but when I download songs from an album, they all show up in the same folder, along with the artist and album name, just like it looks like on the computer, so why would podcasts be any different?  I looked at the tags and they seem to be the same, so it’s a mystery to me. Just asking.

@tomd wrote:
Thanks, I will give that a try. The strange thing is that when the Clip loads into my computer as an external drive, I see the folders just as I would on a flash drive, but when it actually refreshes the database, they move around.

What do you mean when you say “they move around”?  Do you mean that the files physically move to different folders?  Or that the Clip doesn’t present them on its display in the same groupings?

From the rest of your post it sounds like you understand that the Clip presents files using their tag information, not based on the folders in which they reside.  Depending on how you download songs from an album, most likely the tags in the songs just happen to match the folder hierarchy into which the songs are placed.  For example, WMP has a function where it will actually create a folder hierarchy based on a song’s tag information, and store the song file in that folder.

The only thing you can do is verify that the podcasts’ IDV32 tags have the appropriate artist/album/title values that you expect.  There are various tools to do this, including MP3tag.