Newby Question regarding downloading Podcasts and playing them on Clip Plus

I get my new podcasts from a variety of english radio sites (six or seven sites) including CBC, NPR, BBC, etc.

I use MS Vista with RSS feeds to download them.

I notice that some of the podcasts automatically play from one to the next on my Clip, and I notice that some of them are grouped in other sub-directories, and I have to set each sub-directory to play these. From what I understand from reading on this Sansa community site, that my Clip device is doing this automatically for me.

On my very old mp3 player, it would download all my podcasts into one directory and I it would play from one podcast to the next, non-stop. To me this was easy and fiddle-free.

I discovered, yesterday, that if I used went into MS Vista’s -properties of the downloaded mp3 files, and selected “details” and the selected “Remove properties and personal information”, that all the podcasts would change and wind up showing in two folders on my Clip  1. Podcasts  2. Folders

I have two questions;

1. Am I losing any functionality on the Clip, when i do this? I notice it still remembers when i quit a podcast before completion, and I want to resume back to it

2. Is there a simpler way for me to get all the podcasts in one place so I can listen not stop without switching folders? and without having  to remove the properties and all of them?

Help is much appreciated. Thanks,

How you  access them on the player depends on the tags. Podcasts with the same album tag are grouped together.

“all the podcasts would change and wind up showing in two folders on my Clip  1. Podcasts  2. Folders”

These are two different ways of accesing the files. There aren’t two copies on your player. when you access them via the podcasts menu, they are arranged in albums with all the podcasts with the same album tag grouped together. When accesed via folders, they will play in order based on filename within each folder.

They will be accesible via the podcasts submenu if you put them in the podcasts folder on the player, or if the files have the genre podcast.

Thanks for your quick reply,

I understand what you say about it depending upon the tags that if they have the same genre name, they will be grouped by genre. What I am wondering though, if there is a way to avoid having to rename genres, and to have all podcasts no matter where they came from into one folder that I can play non-stop without having to select a different sub-directory.

I hope that I am coming across clearly and do appreciate your help.

If you put the podcasts in the podcasts folder on the player then the player will consider them all podcasts, regardless of what the genre tag is. If you play the podcasts folder in folder mode they will all play, however they may not play in the order you want them to play. If they are in the subfolders within the podcast folder, then when you choose to play a subfolder, it will play only the files in that subfolder then stop. So the key to all this is to how you transfer the files to the player and how they are grouped on the player if you use folder mode, or how the tags are arranged if you use the podcast submenu.

Editing tags is easy with the free program mp3Tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

If you place the podcasts in the podcasts folder they will all be considered podcasts by the player regardless of the genre tag. If you use the podcast submenu, you can choose play all to play all the podcasts. If you use folder browsing and there are subfolders, then when you choose a subfolder, only it will play. If you have all the podcasts in the podcasts folder without subfolders, then they will all play as a single unit.  

Hi JK98

I just downloaded 11 podcasts from radio rte ireland and from cbc.

I put them all in the main directory for Podcast (the only one).

I have no folder directory showing on vista when plugged into computer .

When I unplug the usb, some of the podcasts are showing in the Podcast directory, some come up in separate sub-folders of the Podcast directory that I did not create on my Clip.

When I select “Folders” on the Clip, 10 files are showing of the eleven I downloaded.

I then did a little test to see if it would go to the next podcast if I had selected the main Podcast directory or sub-directory, and discovered that it would stop playing at the end of the podcast and would not go to the next podcast outside of that sub-directory.

I appreciate your help, but am still confused. I am using MMC, before I forgot to tell you…

" just downloaded 11 podcasts from radio rte ireland and from cbc.

I put them all in the main directory for Podcast (the only one)."

You mean the podcasts folder on the player?

“I have no folder directory showing on vista when plugged into computer .”

You can open Windows Eplorer to get this. Right click on start, click on explore.

“When I unplug the usb, some of the podcasts are showing in the Podcast directory”

You mean using the podcast submenu? I guess you didn’t put the podcasts in the podcasts folder on the player, since if you did, they would all be accesible from the podcasts submenu when using the player.

“I then did a little test to see if it would go to the next podcast if I had selected the main Podcast directory or sub-directory”

So now you switched to folder mode?

“I am using MMC”

Do you mean MSC?

I suggest that you forget about the folder browsing mode for now, and use the podcasts submenu.

If you put all the podcasts in the podcasts folder on the player you shouldn’t have a problem.

“If you use the podcast submenu, you can choose play all to play all the podcasts.”

I don’t see any option to play all podcasts in the Podcast subment. Mine goes right to the date groups (analagous to albums, I suppose), and then to the individual files. The files in the particular date group will play, but to continue to the next day I have to go back up to the date listing, select the new date and the top file. Music->Folders->MTP->Music->artist name->Play All is the only way I’ve found to play more than one day of podcasts without intervention. This only works because my podcasts are all from the same ‘artist’. 

just downloaded 11 podcasts from radio rte ireland and from cbc.

I put them all in the main directory for Podcast (the only one)."

You mean the podcasts folder on the player? Yes the podcast folder

“I have no folder directory showing on vista when plugged into computer .”

You can open Windows Eplorer to get this. Right click on start, click on explore. There is no “Folder” directory showing when in Windows Explorer, I even tried turning off the hidden files setting in windows explorer.

“When I unplug the usb, some of the podcasts are showing in the Podcast directory”

You mean using the podcast submenu? I guess you didn’t put the podcasts in the podcasts folder on the player, since if you did, they would all be accesible from the podcasts submenu when using the player. I put them in the “Podcast” folder on the player.

“I then did a little test to see if it would go to the next podcast if I had selected the main Podcast directory or sub-directory”

So now you switched to folder mode? I tested it both from the “Podcast” directory and the “Folder” directory on the Clip.

“I am using MMC”

Do you mean MSC? Sorry, MSC

I suggest that you forget about the folder browsing mode for now, and use the podcasts submenu.

If you put all the podcasts in the podcasts folder on the player you shouldn’t have a problem. Not all of them are showing in the “Podcast” directory on the Clip. All but one show in the “Folder” directory on the Clip. 

You are very patient, thanks!

"Not all of them are showing in the “Podcast” directory on the Clip. All but one show in the “Folder” directory on the Clip. "

If they are in the podcast folder on the player, they should all be available under the podcast submenu. Some may be listed as unknown though, if their title tag is missing. When browsing using the podcast submenu, it is done using the title tag. That is why editing tags that may be missing or in error is a good idea.

You could use folder navigation, and play them all if there are no sub folders.

The best idea though is to group the podcasts into albums(with each file in an album having the same album tag). Then you can play the album of podcasts as a series. The advantage of this is that if you play some podcast files in the series, some music, then turn off the player, when you go back to the podcast submenu, the player will remember which podcast file was last being played.

Thanks for your help. You were terrific!

I just wanted to thank you so much for the folders solution.  I was so confused when all my podcasts (that’s all I listen to, but I listen to a LOT) were distributed into all sorts of different places on the Clip, such as Music, Audiobooks, etc.  I spent 3 hours today trying to find out a solution, even trying to figure out about MP3 tags (I didn’t even know what that was when I started, and I downloaded a program to try to work with that, but was ready to buy a different MP3 player, it was so complicated and time consuming.)

Anyway, THANK YOU so much for your help!

Is there a way to eliminate those other folders (such as audiobook, recently added, etc.)? – I spend a lot of time clicking through those just to get to the Folder one.

You can use the folders on your Clip just like those on your computer: delete them, move them, creaste new ones, etc.  Just be sure that if you are going to delete a folder, there is no content inside that you want to keep (such as music files or another folder itself contining music).