Organizing folders under My Computer, but not synching on Sansa

I tried organizing new folders while connected to my PC.  I used My Comptuer while the Sansa was plugged in and moved folders around.  Nothing changed on my Sansa.  Am I missing a step?  Thanks!

What were you trying to change?  The Clip uses ID3 tags to display its media contents, and so there would be nothing apparent.  If contents are missing, I believe that your media must be filed under the Music folder (subfolders are fine), apart from content from some providers (for example, Audible books, I believe, go into the Audible folder).

edit/correction:  Experimenting some, it does not seem to be the case that your media has to be filed under the Music folder–music placed at the same level as the Music folder also was picked up.  Presumably, the player looks for media eveywhere on itself.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 01-01-2008 10:21 AM

I am trying to prevent my podcasts to go under music, so the podcasts don’t play with my music files when I choose “play all”.  Thoughts?

Got it.  I don’t know that that’s do-able, unfortunately.  I tried to do the same thing with audiobooks and couldn’t.  The best I could do was make sure that the genre field for the Audiobook category was filled in so that I could get to the category separately as a genre (note that the term “Audiobook” in singular form needs to be used–plural won’t work, I found out). 

As you probably know, you can Play All by genre as well, and so could play all of a specific music genre and avoid the podcasts that way.  But then you would have to play genre-by-genre (which could be fine, especially if all your music is tagged in one genre).

Also, I may have mis-spoken above, as I’m not sure that all your media has to be filed under the Music folder; I just experimented with my podcasts in a separate .PODCASTS folder at the same level as the Music folder, and the podcasts got picked up just fine. 

Got it.  I don’t know that that’s do-able, unfortunately.  I tried to do the same thing with audiobooks and couldn’t.  The best I could do was make sure that the ID3 tag genre field for the Audiobook category for my audiobooks was filled in so that I could get to the category separately as a genre to play the files (note that the term “Audiobook” in singular form needs to be used–plural won’t work, I found out). 

As you probably know, you can Play All by genre as well, and so could play all of a specific music genre and avoid the podcasts that way.  But then you would have to play genre-by-genre (which could be fine, especially if all your music is tagged in one genre).

Also, I may have mis-spoken above, as I’m not sure that all your media has to be filed under the Music folder; I just experimented with my podcasts in a separate .PODCASTS folder at the same level as the Music folder, and the podcasts got picked up just fine. 

“Also, I may have mis-spoken above, as I’m not sure that all your media has to be filed under the Music folder; I just experimented with my podcasts in a separate .PODCASTS folder at the same level as the Music folder, and the podcasts got picked up just fine.” 

I am curious how you did this?  I do want a separate folder at onset.  Thanks.

Simply right click on your computer Windows desktop, choose New/Folder, and it creates an empty new folder on the desktop; change its name; and then drag and drop to the Clip root level when connected.

(If you’re asking how to create a folder starting with a period, that needs to be done via DOS or non-Windows software.)