Ogg Vorbis and FLAC coming soon!!

SanDisk also announced that its Sansa Clip and Fuze players _would be getting Ogg Vorbis and FLAC file support via a soon-to-be-released firmware upgrade and that all SanDisk digital audio players from now on would contain FM radios.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/06/11/sandisk-pushes-removable-media-for-all-music-devices/_

Yep, heard bout’ that. Wonder if theres anything new for the View.

Good to hear that. It seems that they’re actually listening to our demands.

I currently do not use OGG and FLAC but i’m glad to see that they support open formats.

JD

YEY i love FLAC :smileyvery-happy:

@jd24 wrote:

Good to hear that. It seems that they’re actually listening to our demands.

I currently do not use OGG and FLAC but i’m glad to see that they support open formats.

JD

I don’t use them either, but anything to help out Clip (and Sansa) users is a very good thing.

Most excellent news to hear. Ogg is really good. And my personal fav.  Thanks for sandisk’s understanding of this formats advantages.

I recently bought the Sansa Fuze specifically for the promised FLAC support. Is there anything official as to when there will be a firmware release that support FLAC?

@tanstaafl wrote:
I recently bought the Sansa Fuze specifically for the promised FLAC support. Is there anything official as to when there will be a firmware release that support FLAC?

In another thread, Sansafix said the next FW is due in about a month.  There hasn’t been any official statement about what will be in the next FW, but I suspect FLAC will be included.

FLAC without APE ? that is strange.

I have loads of FLAC and loads of APE.  So I am disappointed.

Guess it will have to be Cowon D2, Onda VX858 or Teclast C260 that experienced folks at anythingbutipod.com are recommending.

APE needs a lot more processor capacity to decode than FLAC. I don’t think it would be fair to except that from a player this size and price. It would be harder on the battery as well.

I’m eagerly waiting FLAC support as well. However I will only buy the Fuze if it’s gapless too (FLAC natively supports gapless unlike mp3, so I’m hoping…) 

I’m also waiting for the firmware release, since there hasn’t been any official statement of the upcoming OGG Vorbis support. Ogg is the most important (i.e. a must) requirement for me since that is my choice of format (for various reasons) - though, FLAC support is nice, too =)

But, as soon as the firmware is released, I’ll order a Sansa Fuze!

Gapless support would be very nice, too! Very few players have it, and I’d think it would be beneficial to Sandisk, too, since this is often mentioned as a wanted feature. It would be difficult to market, though, and also the formats for the masses (i.e. mp3) don’t support gapless playback or make it inherently difficult to implement (of course, for the better formats such as OGG and FLAC it would be easier to implement). So, I’m sceptical Sandisk would to this, though, but you can always hope =)

But remember: RockBox will probably be ported to the Fuze, eventually =) 

Hmm, I somehow messed up the link to RockBox (well, there’s always Google if it still doesn’t work). I think they’ve made the link adding too “user friendly” (so much that it is not user friendly anymore). Too bad this forum doesn’t have an edit feature!

@szat wrote:

APE needs a lot more processor capacity to decode than FLAC. I don’t think it would be fair to except that from a player this size and price. It would be harder on the battery as well.

True.  Of all the lossless formats, FLAC has the lowest decode requirements.  Also, last time I checked, APE was not an open license.  While it is free, it’s a proprietary license the developer came up with himself, the terms of which are quite vague.  I think this scares off a lot of companies.  Also, no other lossless format comes close to FLAC in terms of user adoption.  So implementing any other lossles formats probably wouldn’t improve sales in any significant way.  

I would soooo like to see Ogg Vorbis on my Fuze. Ogg Vorbis (at least in my opinion) offers the same quality as MP3 for a slightly smaller file, which means I can fit a few more songs on my Fuze! Best of all, Ogg Vorbis is Open Source, so there will always be people out there who will be able to debug and improve it - and there is a plugin for Macintosh AND Windows to use Ogg Vorbis on those platforms (most Linux distros support Ogg Vorbis natively).

I’m afraid that we can forget FLAC/OGG support for Fuze and any other current Sansa model (except Clip OGG). Here you can read technical support response to my yesterday mail:

“As of now, we do not have an MP3 player that supports FLAC format and we do not have any update information that will allow the player to recognize this format. About the OGG only the Sansa Clip is the one that can support this file and we do not have update information as well if there will be any firmware to allow the sansa Fuze to recognize and play this file.”

OGG/FLAC supporting Fuze was only a rumour… which is bad…

Message Edited by rayone on 09-26-2008 01:31 AM

@rayone wrote:

I’m afraid that we can forget FLAC/OGG support for Fuze and any other current Sansa model (except Clip OGG). Here you can read technical support response to my yesterday mail:

“As of now, we do not have an MP3 player that supports FLAC format and we do not have any update information that will allow the player to recognize this format. About the OGG only the Sansa Clip is the one that can support this file and we do not have update information as well if there will be any firmware to allow the sansa Fuze to recognize and play this file.”

OGG/FLAC supporting Fuze was only a rumour… which is bad…

Message Edited by rayone on 09-26-2008 01:31 AM

rayone, there is less information in that email than you seem to think there is. The message states that as of now, no SanDisk players support FLAC out of the box, and as of now there are no updates available for any player to add this function.

There is no new information in this email about the state of Ogg Vorbis and/or FLAC support on the Fuze.

Thats not surprising at all. This is the worst purchase Ive ever made.

Yes,   but in fact OGG and Flac will be delivered in the next few weeks.  Target release end of next week.

:slight_smile:

@hutch84 wrote:
Thats not surprising at all. This is the worst purchase Ive ever made.

Ah, think back!

The worst purchase ever made was that AMC Matador.

Hang in there!  The firmware is coming.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Yes, but you (Sansafix) were quoted earlier (July) in this thread as expecting a firmware upgrade within about a month (i.e. some time in August). So I hope you will understand my skepticism when I ask, is there any official anouncement from Sandisk?