Noise at start and end of songs?

I get a buzzing noise for a fraction of a second at the beginning and end of songs which is audible at high volume.  The noise only comes out of the left earbud.  I’ve tried a couple different pairs of earphones and get the same result so it’s definitely the Clip.

Is this just a characteristic of the Sansa Clip or is there something wrong with my player?

TIA

I think it’s (fairly) normal.  Mine do it too if I remember right.

Thanks for the reply.  Anyone else experience this issue and can confirm it?

Sansa 2GB Clip Firmware Ver. v01.01.32A

@bof wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Anyone else experience this issue and can confirm it?

 

Sansa 2GB Clip Firmware Ver. v01.01.32A

I have a 2GB V1, same firmware as you…I just tried it and it didn’t make the sound for me.

Thanks

No audible sounds for me either.  What format (s) are the problematic files?  Are they all of one format?  I have a variety of differing files on my clips and none of them make any audible sounds at the beginning or end.

It may be an encoding issue.  Some encoders are better at producing pristine files than others.  I would experiment with a few encoders and see if the problem persists.

I tried ripping the mp3’s with two different programs and it didn’t fix the problem.  Mind you these are the same music files I had installed on my iPod 2nd Shuffle without any noise. 

I purchased another Sansa Clip today and it did the same thing only in the right channel instead of the left.  

My conclusion is this is an inherent problem with the Sansa Clip.  The reason why some of you cannot hear this “noise” I speak of is because I have the ears of a bat. 

@bof wrote:

I tried ripping the mp3’s with two different programs and it didn’t fix the problem.  Mind you these are the same music files I had installed on my iPod 2nd Shuffle without any noise. 

 

I purchased another Sansa Clip today and it did the same thing only in the right channel instead of the left.  

 

My conclusion is this is an inherent problem with the Sansa Clip.   The reason why some of you cannot hear this “noise” I speak of is because I have the ears of a bat. 

Maybe on your units, but not on mine.  My clips do not produce any noise that you speak of.  I base my conclusion not only by ears alone but with test equipment.  Your problem is not solved.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 05-09-2009 09:26 AM

@bof wrote:

 

My conclusion is this is an inherent problem with the Sansa Clip.  The reason why some of you cannot hear this “noise” I speak of is because I have the ears of a bat. 

If it was inherent in all Clips then I would be hearing it in my two Clips, because I quite often use them with an amplifier that would amplify the sound that you say you are hearing in addition to everything else. :wink:

Well i dont see where this is solved.

Mine dose this also on some songs. I would not call it bussing just a loud noise.

In my case i put the blame on WMP encoding.

I encode these songs from high bit rate MP3 and made them 64kbps wma on the clip. I used the sync function to transcode them. I could see the next file start transcodeing before the last file finished and copied to the clip. I think this is where the noise came from. If there is a way to get WMP to pause a second or two before it start transcoding the next file that might solve this problem.

This did not happen with every file just the radom few that have the noise.

Message Edited by Rainey on 05-09-2009 04:40 PM

Its a sound the Clip makes when it reads tags that arnt set up properly. Try downloading Mp3tag, and using it to update the tags and make them Tag v2.3 iso-8859-1. See if that helps

@rainey wrote:

Well i dont see where this is solved.

 

Mine dose this also on some songs. I would not call it bussing just a loud noise.

 

In my case i put the blame on WMP encoding.

I encode these songs from high bit rate MP3 and made them 64kbps wma on the clip. I used the sync function to transcode them. I could see the next file start transcodeing before the last file finished and copied to the clip. I think this is where the noise came from. If there is a way to get WMP to pause a second or two before it start transcoding the next file that might solve this problem.

 

This did not happen with every file just the radom few that have the noise.

Message Edited by Rainey on 05-09-2009 04:40 PM

Transcoding lossy to lossy is only going to make them sound worse. Whether that is actually causing the noise for you is hard to say. I certainly wouldn’t recommend 64kbps for music though, whether it’s MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, etc. I have gotten songs to sound acceptable at between 100 and 128kbps in WMA VBR and Ogg Vorbis, but that is as low as I would go, and it would not be my preference. Maybe with stock earbuds it would be ok though. :smiley:

@conversionbox wrote:
Its a sound the Clip makes when it reads tags that arnt set up properly. Try downloading Mp3tag, and using it to update the tags and make them Tag v2.3 iso-8859-1. See if that helps

I tried to change the tags as you suggested but to no avail.  I’ve been at this for hours and I cannot isolate what’s causing the noise.  

To those that don’t have this problem with their Clip, can you list what you’re using to rip your music to mp3 or whatever format you use and the encoding information.  Also, are you using WMP (Version ?) or another player to sync to your Clip. 

Thanks

@bof wrote:

To those that don’t have this problem with their Clip, can you list what you’re using to rip your music to mp3 or whatever format you use and the encoding information.  Also, are you using WMP (Version ?) or another player to sync to your Clip. 

 

Thanks

I have Ogg Vorbis at various quality levels either ripped with MediaMonkey or converted from FLAC with MM, I have WMA VBR files at 2 different quality settings, done with WMP11, I have MP3’s which are LAME VBR quality 0 (the highest)done by FreeRip. I have some older MP3’s that I ripped with iTunes at 192kbps CBR MP3 when I first started my digital journey.

My Clips stay in MSC mode, and I do sometimes use WMP to add music to them, but just as often drag and drop directly from Windows Explorer/My Computer.

@bof wrote:

To those that don’t have this problem with their Clip, can you list what you’re using to rip your music to mp3 or whatever format you use and the encoding information.  Also, are you using WMP (Version ?) or another player to sync to your Clip. 

 

Thanks

My guess is that at some point in this whole process of ripping/encoding/transcoding, the beginning and ending of the files in question became damaged.  Re-ripping is always the best option, to overcome problematic files.

There are tools to analyze and repair MP3 files, if the problem files are in that format.  I have used the following program with success.  NOTE: I am not affiliated with this product in any way and accept no liability if this product damages or corrupts your audio files.  Or, in other words, use at your own risk.

MP3 Repair Tool

@marvin_martian wrote:


@rainey wrote:

Well i dont see where this is solved.

 

Mine dose this also on some songs. I would not call it bussing just a loud noise.

 

In my case i put the blame on WMP encoding.

I encode these songs from high bit rate MP3 and made them 64kbps wma on the clip. I used the sync function to transcode them. I could see the next file start transcodeing before the last file finished and copied to the clip. I think this is where the noise came from. If there is a way to get WMP to pause a second or two before it start transcoding the next file that might solve this problem.

 

This did not happen with every file just the radom few that have the noise.

Message Edited by Rainey on 05-09-2009 04:40 PM


Transcoding lossy to lossy is only going to make them sound worse. Whether that is actually causing the noise for you is hard to say. I certainly wouldn’t recommend 64kbps for music though, whether it’s MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, etc. I have gotten songs to sound acceptable at between 100 and 128kbps in WMA VBR and Ogg Vorbis, but that is as low as I would go, and it would not be my preference. Maybe with stock earbuds it would be ok though. :smiley:

They sound fine, even at 64K. I use this most while rideing my bike and the cars are going by so perfect sound is not the most important thing for me. Just using stock buds at this time.

At 64K WMA i have 2500 songs and at 16K WMA i have 150 audio books i created of short stories. I still have 2.5 gig free on my 8gig clip.

Remember that 64K WMA is about the same as 128 MP3.