new SSD firmware coming - 5.0.4 already released by some manufacturers

Well, they have a good arrangement. We pay for their product that they are beta testing; instead of paying beta testers, we’re PAYING to beta test. Perfect.

I prefer to think of myself as a guinea pig.  Cause beta testers are usually aware that they’re beta testers…  If I had some artistic talent, I’d make a nice “SanDisk - Never Again” logo I could proudly post everywhere.

It’s beginning to look like SanDisk is trying to beat the “Duke 'Nukem Forever - Coming Soon” record for a software release.

I hope they don’t think that customers will forget about this. We’ll be bringing it up on every message board where anyone ever asks if they should buy a SanDisk product - forever if it never gets fixed.

I’m ready to purchase another drive and give up on waiting for a firmware up-grade / fix. If SanDisk ever releases one someone please “Pinch” me?!?

You’re kidding, right?

@wfor1pilot wrote:

I’m ready to purchase another drive and give up on waiting for a firmware up-grade / fix. If SanDisk ever releases one someone please “Pinch” me?!?

it was released yesterday. did you even look at the stickies before you posted?

Guess SanDisk heard my prayers for my MacBook, here’s the fix: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD-Firmware-R211m-download-for-for-MacBook-and/td-p/285948

Sadly no; I was just going off of the post dated 10-12-2012 by DVMarsh. I hope I can redeem myself just incase someone else comes across this post (like I did) by posting the link to the fix. I did however follow the link and directions (using CD burner XP - burns .iso files) burned the new firmware to a disk, flashed my drive while still in my Mac (following the directions) and now the “negociated speed” does in fact show 3Gbps. Very happy !!!

@wfor1pilot wrote:

Sadly no; I was just going off of the post dated 10-12-2012 by DVMarsh. I hope I can redeem myself just incase someone else comes across this post (like I did) by posting the link to the fix. I did however follow the link and directions (using CD burner XP - burns .iso files) burned the new firmware to a disk, flashed my drive while still in my Mac (following the directions) and now the “negociated speed” does in fact show 3Gbps. Very happy !!!

So you’re getting SATA II speeds from SanDisk EX SSDs on Macs with the NVDIA SATA chipsets?!

@parsec wrote:

@wfor1pilot wrote:

So you’re getting SATA II speeds from SanDisk EX SSDs on Macs with the NVDIA SATA chipsets?!

yes, that is what the post linked above and stickied at the top of this board is for, however if you ever move the SSD to another computer you will need to reflash it with the normal firmware.

@drlucky wrote:

@parsec wrote:

@wfor1pilot wrote:

yes, that is what the post linked above and stickied at the top of this board is for, however if you ever move the SSD to another computer you will need to reflash it with the normal firmware.

That’s great! I don’t use a Mac so didn’t read about that FW, sorry,  but I always read about the problems SSDs in general have with the Nvidia SATA chipsets. Now, SanDisk is one of the very few SSDs that will work at SATA II speeds on Macs with Nvidia chipsets.

Then there is the side affect of having to change to another firmware to get SATA III mode back. That is the same thing the very few other SSDs that had this fix for Nvidia chipsets had to do as well.

NOW we can understand why the R211 firmware took “so long” to be available, this fix was being added too. IMO, that makes sense.