New Firmware! Battery life is fantastic!

@xcfan wrote:

While we’re talking about audio encoders…  Does anyone have an opinion on FreeRip3  (download.com or freerip.com)  Especially vs. Helix or Lame?

Thanks 

I have been using it recently, because I wanted a free way to get variable bitrate (VBR)LAME MP3 rips. I know it is possible with other encoders like EAC , but they usually are more complicated to set up, and this FreeRip is really easy to set up. Is it the absolute most recent version of LAME? I don’t know…but the highest quality VBR setting, 0 (it runs 0-9) sounds very good to me, and being MP3 means there are no compatibility issues with it.

The only caveat here is that is does not give you any album art. My simple solution to that…add the albums to the WindowsMedia Player 11 library. WMP will add the album art to the file folder , and once it does so, I can drag and drop it onto my Fuze (which stays in MSC mode)in the My Computer/Windows Explorer screen. :smiley:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Ha Ha Ha… You must work for some testing agency, because you really put alot of faith in somebody else’s findings…:smileyvery-happy:  Knock yourself out…I rather do it myself…

From what you’ve said, you’d rather not.  If you had (and your hearing is still there) you would know that inexpensive earphones can go up to 20 kHz and your argument that high end gear is a requirement to reveal the difference between lossy compression and lossless falls apart.  

If you have to SEE which file  you’re playing to make a judgment of how it sounds, have fun with that but don’t expect to carry a lot of credibility.  You haven’t really expounded on your scientific assesment method other than eyeballing some wave forms (akin to judging a car’s speed by kicking the tires)  

If you read my posts, you will see that I HAVE done double blind testing and come to my own conclusions for what encoders and quality settings work for me in various situaitons.   

Message Edited by donp on 04-14-2009 10:54 AM

Most of my collection is ripped at 128kps, and for my applications it is fine.  I do have some fairly decent headphones (sennheiser px100’s) and they haven’t lowered my enjoyment of the device.

Perhaps I can’t tell the difference between 128kps or higher bit rates, and perhaps I can.  I just haven’t tried.  Since a lot of my collection is already at 128kps, then I don’t find it worth the effort to re-encode.

A lot of my stuff is also recorded from streams that were at 128kps or 160 kps, so re-recording is a really long proposition.

The point is, everyone is different, so knock yourself out.  I find 128kps fine, and for the music I listen to, I can’t really tell the difference, especially when driving down the road at 70mph with the windows cracked open.

@donp wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Ha Ha Ha… You must work for some testing agency, because you really put alot of faith in somebody else’s findings…:smileyvery-happy:  Knock yourself out…I rather do it myself…

From what you’ve said, you’d rather not.  If you had (and your hearing is still there) you would know that inexpensive earphones can go up to 20 kHz and your argument that high end gear is a requirement to reveal the difference between lossy compression and lossless falls apart.  

If you have to SEE which file  you’re playing to make a judgment of how it sounds, have fun with that but don’t expect to carry a lot of credibility.  You haven’t really expounded on your scientific assesment method other than eyeballing some wave forms (akin to judging a car’s speed by kicking the tires)  

If you read my posts, you will see that I HAVE done double blind testing and come to my own conclusions for what encoders and quality settings work for me in various situaitons.   

Listen…I’ll say this once.  I make my living in audio.  You think I’m going to tell the world in an open and free forum my basis of the faults contained within double blind testing?  

Ha Ha…

I don’t think so.

You can hear and do what you want, it is of little consequence to me.  But, big name clients are beating down my door to do work for them…

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 04-14-2009 11:49 AM

@p_opus wrote:

Most of my collection is ripped at 128kps, and for my applications it is fine.  I do have some fairly decent headphones (sennheiser px100’s) and they haven’t lowered my enjoyment of the device.

Perhaps I can’t tell the difference between 128kps or higher bit rates, and perhaps I can.  I just haven’t tried.  Since a lot of my collection is already at 128kps, then I don’t find it worth the effort to re-encode.

There’s nothing wrong with that.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@donp wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Listen…I’ll say this once.  I make my living in audio.  You think I’m going to tell the world in an open and free forum my basis of the faults contained within double blind testing?  

Ha Ha…

I don’t think so.

You can hear and do what you want, it is of little consequence to me.  But, big name clients are beating down my door to do work for them…

GB, is it time to bring out the dead horse again? :smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@donp wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Ha Ha…

I don’t think so.

GB, is it time to bring out the dead horse again? :smiley:

Sounds good to me…:wink:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Ha Ha…

I don’t think so.

You can hear and do what you want, it is of little consequence to me.  But, big name clients are beating down my door to do do work for them…

Just saying you’ve got a secret doesn’t really  validate your statements.

Your secret analysis methods somehow lead you to deny some things that are demonstrably true, like that moderatly priced phones can go up to 20 kHz.  

Message Edited by donp on 04-14-2009 05:46 PM

Round II

Back on topic - I updated my firmware last night. My Fuze was fully charged before the upgrade and after the upgrade it was only half charged. I was very confused but this report of extended battery life would explain things.

Back off topic - All of my files are FLAC and I use q-JAYS headphones. I am comfortable in the knowledge that my Fuze is not limiting the quality of the sound going to my headphones by using a lossy format even if I can’t tell the difference. :wink:

donp and fuze_owner_GB -

Please play nice.  Both of you have valid points, and both are adept at figuring out which end of the pencil makes the pretty marks.  (I have found that the other end is good for rubbing my forehead, incidentally.)

Everybody put on those favorite earbuds and have a listen.  The quiz will be later.

µsansa  :wink:

@microsansa wrote:

donp and fuze_owner_GB -

Please play nice.  Both of you have valid points, and both are adept at figuring out which end of the pencil makes the pretty marks.  (I have found that the other end is good for rubbing my forehead, incidentally.)

Everybody put on those favorite earbuds and have a listen.  The quiz will be later.

Understood!:smiley:

I listen to the Fuze 13+ hours a day every day. I’ve had no problems with the battery lasting even longer periods before charging at night but it is nice to know it has a even longer life now.:smileyvery-happy: Can’t wait to try the shuffle “Fix”. This has been one of my two complaints about the Fuze. The other is the song limit but that has been changed to 8000 and I can live with that although 10000 would allow a 32G card + internal memory. I’m also very happy to see Mediamonkey will work to level the volume. All in all…Thank You Sandisk for all the hard work you’ve done!!!

@microsansa wrote:
…both are adept at figuring out which end of the pencil makes the pretty marks.  (I have found that the other end is good for rubbing my forehead, incidentally.)

LOL!  I found that too, but I have some strange scars from before I figured out which end was which!

@tenzip wrote:

@microsansa wrote:
…both are adept at figuring out which end of the pencil makes the pretty marks.  (I have found that the other end is good for rubbing my forehead, incidentally.)

LOL!  I found that too, but I have some strange scars from before I figured out which end was which!

Interesting how GB replied to microsansa and said “understood” but he was the only one that did :dizzy_face:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tenzip wrote:

@microsansa wrote:

Interesting how GB replied to microsansa and said “understood” but he was the only one that did :dizzy_face:

Some of us don’t spend all day every day on this forum, and having just read microsansa’s post I imagine the best response is to just cease, but you go on if you want.

@donp wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tenzip wrote:

@microsansa wrote:

Some of us don’t spend all day every day on this forum, and having just read microsansa’s post I imagine the best response is to just cease, but you go on if you want.

Order In The Court!

(I think I said that recently):smiley:

I reference the following helpful chart when dealing with pencils: :wink:

L.E.A.D. Word processor