New Extreme 120GB slow on nVidia NForce590 chipset

I formatted this brand new Extreme 120GB SSD which came factory direct with the R211 firmware using Windows 7 selecting 4096 bytes for allocation size and unchecking “Quick Format”. I just bought four of these SSDs to speed up four of my slower systems. It would be nice if the two running the nVidia NForce590 chipset would work like the two running the ICH7-R chipset.

Note: all my systems run on XP Pro 32Bit and I only use a laptop that has Windows 7 to format the SSD’s attached by USB. 

On my Dell XPS 700 with the nVidia NForce590 chipset, running a Intel E6300 CPU and 4GB RAM it gets no better than 111MB/s write and 138MB/s read with ATTO. BIOS is the latest.

Thinking that maybe I buggered something up during formatting I then placed that same drive into a USB3 desktop hard drive dock and got 144MB/s write and 178MB/s read using ATTO.

I then placed it in a different system running an Intel MoBo with a ICH7-R controller (SATA2), D840 CPU and 4GB RAM and got 255MB/s write and 247MB/s read again using ATTO. 

Finally I placed it on yet another system using an ASUS U3S6 PCIe 4x card that claims SATA3 on a Marvell controller and got 181MB/s write and 411MB/s read with ATTO. 

The nVidia NForce590 chipset is suppose to be SATA2 but I am seein what looks like SATA1 speeds. Is there something that I’m missing here or is this a known problem with this chipset? 

Check and see if you can find out what the negotiated link speed is on the nvidia chipset. There is an issue where PC using Nividia MCP79 SATA chipsets do not negotiate correctly and will be SATA 1.5 instead of SATA 3.0 This could be related. If this is the case there is a firmware stickied at the top os this board for MAC and Nvidia MCP79 SATA chipset. It basically just locks the drive to SATA 3.0 and takes negotiation away from the SATA chipset. It may work for your issue as well. 

When I go into the hardware settings via device manager it shows the option that the BIOS control is handling it so I tried on Sunday to manually select SATA2 3.0Gbps as the speed and hit apply which prompts for a restart but everytime I tried that it reverts to SATA1 1.5Gbps in the manual speed setting. I have tried this with two different Extreme 120GB R211 firmware SSDs and both net the same results.

Okay I will give the Nvidia MCP79 SATA chipset you mention a go and report back. 

Thanks!

Um, it looks like this Nvidia MCP79 solution is only for MACs… 

I’m using PCs.

The SATA ports on this MoBo with nForce590 chipset do run at SATA2 speeds… wait for it… just not with these Extreme 120GB SSDs. This really sucks when a SATA2 HDD runs only 3-5MB/s slower than the SATA3 SSD because it can’t neogiate at anything better than SATA1 speeds. :confounded:

Something I’m thinking is up with these SSDs oh and remember they are out of the box on the R211 firmware.  

The post says it is for MAC only but it really is just locking the drive to SATA 3.0. It has nothing in the firmware that is for MAC. Like I said before there are issues with other Nvidia SATA chipsets not negotiating the SATA link correctly so your issue may be related. My suggestion once again will be to use the Firmware linked above for Nvidia MCP79 and MAC (note this firmware was released for user complaining of the same issue but they all were on MAC) this firmware will lock the drive as SATA 3.0. If the issue is related to the same thing that causes the Nvidia MCP79 SATA chipset to not correctly negotiate the SATA link speed then it should solve that problem for you as well. Regardless if it fixes the issue or not you can always just reflash the regular FW and change it back. 

Okay, thanks for clearing that up! :smiley: 

I’ll give it a go and report the results. 

Thanks

Firmware updated to R211m. 

Ran ATTO and yes it appears to h       av                  e               f    i         xe         d    th   e   pr  o bl  em. 

ATTO crashed and locked up the PC on the first attempt after displaying a write for the 16MB line. 

On the second attempt it crashed and locked up the PC after displaying a write for the 32MB line. 

Um, okay, I’m pretty sure that’s not the result we’re looking for. Any ideas? 

Now the PC is totally useless. It seems the SSD is just locking up and crashing the PC. 

When you boot up the system it just hangs and you have to retry which gets you the black screen with the Windows failed 

to start last time. It takes 2 to 5 restarts and if you’re lucky it starts only to crash a few minutes after you start opening 

programs. 

Lock up central now with this SSD that I can’t even use the Sandisk SSD Toolkit to flash the firmware back to R211. So I guess the only two choices are burn an ISO of the R211 firmware or remove the SSD and plug it into another PC and flash from there.

I had to remove the SSD from the system because it was constantly locking. I put the old HDD back into that system and the system works fine so we can rule out the overall system as being the problem. 

This SSD was working fine albeit in SATA1 mode only on a SATA2 port of the MoBo. 

When I plugged it back into the system as a non OS drive and ran the SSD Toolkit I found that the SSD is now stuck on a SATA2 generation EVEN after running the R211 ISO on another system to get rid of the R211m and revert it back to R211.

I ran ATTO and I got speeds of 209MB/s Write and 233MB/s read and it did not crash the system or lock up ATTO. 

So, is this SSD now semi toast and how would one get it back to full SATA3 so at least it will work at SATA1 speeds on this system?

just reflashing with r211 firmware should set the SSD back to SATA 6Gb. if not you may need to see about getting it replaced. 

I tried reflashing them twice with R211 but they are still stuck at SATA2 generation in SSD ToolKit display. 

I also tried flashing them back to R211m and then back to R211 but no dice either. 

Someone at Sandisk might want to remove that caption of it being reversible because I have three Extreme 120GB drives 

that beg to differ. 

I hope this isn’t going to be a problem replacing three drives. I’m also thinking it would be better to go to another SSD drive company altogether as this problem won’t be solved unless I buy PCIe SATA3 cards for the replacement SSDs from Sandisk.

LightsOn wrote:

I’m also thinking it would be better to go to another SSD drive company altogether as this problem won’t be solved unless I buy PCIe SATA3 cards for the replacement SSDs from Sandisk.

this is not true. there are no issues with the Intel series 7 SATA chipset. you dont need anything but a drive that is not locked to SATA 3Gb. 

Except that three of the four SSD are now stuck as SATA2 SSD and one day I will need them as SATA3 drives. 

if they are still locked to SATA 3Gb getting a PCIE SATA 6Gb card will not change that. if it is locked to SATA 3Gb that is all it will ever be until a new config file is user to remove the lock. I ahve forwarded this thread to sandisk support to see if they have any other options. 

@drlucky wrote:

if they are still locked to SATA 3Gb getting a PCIE SATA 6Gb card will not change that. if it is locked to SATA 3Gb that is all it will ever be until a new config file is user to remove the lock. I ahve forwarded this thread to sandisk support to see if they have any other options. 

I think you didn’t read and understand my post that you were replying to. 

Three of my four SSDs are now locked to SATA2 after that firmware suggestion and won’t work as SATA2 on both nForce chipsets. I would like all of them to be SATA3 so that I can make them work at SATA3 speeds by placing them on PCIe SATA3 cards. The Intel boards are SATA2 and work at SATA2 speeds but the nVidia based boards are SATA2 but only work at SATA1 speeds with these Sandisk SSD. Getting a PCIe card for each of the nVidia based boards will cost $$ to $$$ however I now hear that Intel’s SATA3 520 series SSDs work on those nVidia based boards so that was the reference to another company’s SSDs. 

@drlucky wrote:

I ahve forwarded this thread to sandisk support to see if they have any other options. 

I called tech support at Sandisk four different times but their call centre is in India and I couldn’t understand half of what they were saying when I could hear them clearly because of the poor quality of the IP phone service and/or headsets they are using. 

Come on SanDisk, your level 1 techs have no clue what they are doing and are clearly reading from a book as they try to make it seem like they know what they are talking about. This really makes one wonder what is the point of having someone with no technical skills answering calls at SanDisk that might as well be about removing fungus from the inside of a camera lens or baking a cake in a submarine with no oven. I’ve never done either and I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be helping out someone figure it out either as they soon enough would figure it out that I don’t know jack about either. I mean really… what the hell? 

So tech support at SanDisk appears to work as well as these drives do in these nVidia NForce590 systems which is not well if at all. 

I guess it’s on to returning these and going with Intel 520 SSDs. Too bad because I really only trust SanDisk for my memory card purchases and expected the same quality with their “plug and play” reliability and not this “plug and pray” bollocks.