New but now corrupted SD card

I restarted my phone this morning when I exprerienced a freeze. After this, I opened my memory card to find out that it had been corrupted. The files I had, had increased tremendously in size and had the “?” on them.

I formatted the card on Sunday because of the same problem! This time, I’d like to see if I get some of my files back.

I moved 3 files to my memory card drive before I slept. I suspect 2 of the files caused this. I downloaded them.

Please help me. :crying_cat_face:

PS: I use the SD card on my phone

:smiley:   Hi Inquisitive,

Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome.

1-   Please, first of all, clean the pins on the card and the phone slot, with isopropyl alcohol (or common).

2-   Try another SD card in the phone.

3-  Put the SD, in a laptop, directly to its port, with a good adapter (not a card reader).

3-   In Star / My Computer , on the card icon, click the right mouse button, and then click in Properties / Tools / Error Checking and Repair.

4-   If still bad, try formatting with (free): USB Flash SD Formatter 4.00,  http://filecloud.io/jqtu1byc

5-   If there is no joy,  please, do not grieve more, friend, return it, is defective. See link: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

Luck, and then you tell us, what happened, please.

Regards, Alfred.                                                            (Google translated)

What’s “isopropyl alcohol”? Is it common? i.e Should every household have one?

Will methylated spirit do?

Yeah, trying another SD card on it worked just fine.

Please, how does a memory card adapter  look like? I’m a bit surprised that it’s different from a mem card reader because when I searched for it online, results for a reader came instead. And it seems readers ■■■■ 'cos you’re even recommending an adapter instead. 

And I’m guessing step 4 works only if I’ve got an adapter. I’ll wait for your reply before I proceed with the steps. 

Thank you very much. x

“Clarifying”:

1-   Alcohol: see at a pharmacy.

2-   Adapter or reader, see link:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/Micro-SD-Adapter-needed-to-unlock-write-protection-on-micro-SD/m-p/323920#M3218

3-   “Erratum”: is Start / My Computer, no Star / My Computer.

Enjoy!

Regards, Alfred.

Okay. Step no. 4 didn’t work.  I haven’t tried no.1, I’m afraid. This is because the card is still new and the gold pins look neat. I don’t think it will do any good.

Woud formatting it with windows be good enough?

Can I really return it and get my money back? There’s a little blemish I made at the back of the card. I scratched a golden something so I could properly see the number at the back. How can I show you what I mean?

5-   If there is no joy,  please, do not grieve more, friend, return it, is defective. See link: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

Regards, Alfred.

I had same problem with Sony HDR-PJ240, 64 & 32 Gb cards not readable by camera, but by pc, formatted by PC still would not work or even be recognised in camera. But did the following:

Recovering SD card on Sony camera when No picture on screen (lens cover open),

And memory card symbol flashing.

1. Remove memory card
  2. Go to Settings- Initialize Press upper screen button- “Reset to default settings” click “OK”
  3. Screen will go blank and reboot.
  4. If It does not reboot, remove all mains power & battery, wait 15seconds for chipset to reset, install battery & mains power (but Works on a full battery)
  5. Now put memory card in and reformat or recover, repair using device to format not on PC.

Worked on both my cards 64 & 32 gb Sandisk cards

It seems the device needs to format cards itself. It will be interesting to see if the same reboot / recovery method works on other devices that use sandisk cards!

I hope this helps, I wasted 4 hours trying to resolve this with recovery software and almost went out and bought another card.

Thanks for your reply, firgle; but for me, even when I put the mem card in a PC, it was still showing me nonsense. I mean that my files still looked corrupted. 

And I had previously formatted the card with the device itself. That didn’t stop the card from getting corrupted again. 

So in ur case, did u have to lose ur files or were the SD cards empty?

Thanks for your reply, @firgle109. For me, even when I put the mem card in a PC, it was still showing me nonsense. I mean that my files still looked corrupted. 

And I had previously formatted the card with the device itself. That didn’t stop the card from getting corrupted again. 

So in ur case, did u have to lose ur files or were the SD cards empty?

@cacho wrote:

Regards, Alfred.

Thanks for ur help, Alfred. I had to return the card; I didn’t get my money back, though. 

I hope someday I’ll buy that Isopropyl Alcohol.

Well, if you have found that your SD card has become corrupted then you can try the solutions mentioned in the link mentioned here: http://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/sd-card-recovery-4

Here, you will to know the complete solutions to get back lost data from corrupted SD card.

Hi, there are having the best 13 ways to help fix corrupted SD card in 2020:

Solution 1: Try Another USB Port or SD Card Adapter/Reader
Solution 2: Use on Another PC/System
Solution 3: Clean the Golden Finger Pin
Solution 4: Show Hidden Files Stored on the SD Card
Fix 1: Use Error Checking Tool
Fix 2: Use Chkdsk Command to Fix Corrupted SD Card
Fix 3: Use Windows built-in Troubleshooter
Fix 4: Assign a New Drive Letter
Fix 5: Update the SD Card Driver
Fix 6: Diskpart the SD Card Without Formatting
Fix 7: Convert the SD card to FAT32