MP3 tags not recognized?

I’m a mac user, and I rip my albums to MP3, and store all my MP3’s in iTunes. So I just plug in my sansa, and drag and drop songs to my clip.

Unfortunately for some reason the Sansa doesn’t always recognize the album/artist/song title tags. I have "Born Ruffian"s “Red, Yellow, and Blue” and the song names show up in all sorts of odd chinese characters, the artist is “unknown” and so is the album.

I have Arcade Fire’s “Funeral” and “Neon Bible” on the clip as well, while Funeral is perfectly recognized, Neon Bible shows up under an “unknown” artist. I reset all he tags in iTunes, and dragged fresh copies onto my clip, but the clip still isn’t recognizing the tags.

How can I fix this problem?

Also, I’m a brand new clip user, and any advice as to how to maximize the life of my new clip would be much appreciated! It’s a wonderful little product so far, I’d like to use it for a few years to come!

p.s. I’ve already upgraded my firmware to the latest version.

Message Edited by ExOmni on 03-08-2008 12:05 PM

There’s another thread in which the tag format required by the Clip is discussed … unfortunately I don’t know which thread, but I’d recommend that you do a search on ID3V2 etc.

ExOmni wrote:
Also, I’m a brand new clip user, and any advice as to how to maximize the life of my new clip would be much appreciated! It’s a wonderful little product so far, I’d like to use it for a few years to come!

To preserve the screen life:  keep the brightness down, and limit how long the screen stays on.  Also, if easy enough, recharge through AC so that the screen will go off during charging (it currently stays on when charging from your computer–this should change in the future).

To preserve the battery:  recharge by at least about 30-40% capacity, and only exhaust the battery every now and again to recalibrate the battery indicator.  Don’t let the player get overly hot (e.g. the dash of a car).  Also, note that use of the EQ consumes extra battery power.  And you can play the player from AC (but not the computer) rather than the battery.

Thanks so much for the advice! I just turned all the screen settings down to their lowest.

How do you play the player from AC? Do I need to get an AC to USB adapter? Where can I get one?

Message Edited by ExOmni on 03-09-2008 11:59 AM

You don’t have to go crazy about the settings–keep them at what is comfortable but realizing the effect on the screen and battery life.  I think I left my screen set at somewhere in the middle, where I found it comfortable to read.

Yep, for AC power you need a USB AC adapter.  SanDisk doesn’t specify any particular one, and there are many out there.  Many people have reported that their Motorola Razr cell charger works fine, and I know that my Mio GPS AC adapter works with the Clip.  Some others:   one by Macally; one by Kodak.  There also are various threads here–try a search on AC adapter in the search box above.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-SN-A411-Charger-SanDisk-Players/dp/B000HGKF34/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205096766&sr=1-4

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7693962

Well I just figured out the problem. I took all the songs that were giving me problems and went to itunes -> advanced -> convert ID3 tags, and converted all the tags to the latest version. It all seems to work properly now.

I’m just curious: why does it help the battery life to not fully charge it?