Mp3 files bigger than wma files...why?

converting my wma files on my HD, I noticed that the mp3 format is bigger than the wma files.  I thought it was supposed to a compressed format?

I’m using an application to convert the files called the Switch Sound File Converter:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/convert\_wma\_from\_windows\_media\_player\_into\_mp3\_files.html

…or maybe I’d just scrap the whole thing and just rip my CD’s into my WMP11 with mp3 format…?

There are a couple of explinations for the size issue. You are probably converting the files into a higher bitrate mp3 than the wma, so the file is bigger. I would just rip the files again using WMP and Mp3 and 192 or 256 kbps bitrate.

And I would usw variable bit rate (VBR), as a good sound/space compromise.

If you have the original CD’s you are better off reripping them.  

I don’t know if WMP uses  a good mp3 encoder.  I suspect not since WMA standard isn’t so hot and Microsoft’s official line is that WMA at 64 kb/s is equal to mp3 at 128 kb/s.  With the better mp3 encoders it is closer to the other way around.  Lame and Helix seem to be the top of the pile and Itunes should be ok too.

A good alternative, still compatible with Clip, would be ogg/vorbis.

actually, I did a dummy test with just one song set in both Mp3 and WMA with 192 kbps…turns out that the MP3 files are at least 1.5 to 2 MB smaller than the WMA files.  interesting.

and is 192 kbps the preferred quality format?  just wondering.

@donp wrote:

If you have the original CD’s you are better off reripping them.  

I don’t know if WMP uses  a good mp3 encoder.  I suspect not since WMA standard isn’t so hot and Microsoft’s official line is that WMA at 64 kb/s is equal to mp3 at 128 kb/s.  With the better mp3 encoders it is closer to the other way around.  Lame and Helix seem to be the top of the pile and Itunes should be ok too.

A good alternative, still compatible with Clip, would be ogg/vorbis.

WMP uses the traditional Fronhaufer MP3 codec, as opposed to the newer and preferred LAME version…and doesn’t give you the option of VBR :angry:

I think they use the old version of MP3 to quantify their claim that WMA is better(plus they let you do VBR with their WMA). In a way, it’s kind of Apple-ish:dizzy_face:…they’d prefer you use “their  version”.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-21-2009 11:22 PM

@punkinbee59 wrote:

actually, I did a dummy test with just one song set in both Mp3 and WMA with 192 kbps…turns out that the MP3 files are at least 1.5 to 2 MB smaller than the WMA files.  interesting.

and is 192 kbps the preferred quality format?  just wondering.

I think 192 is considered a compromise between best sound and smallest file. People with great hearing and higher-grade earphones usually prefer higher rates for better sound quality, but that really can cut down on how many songs fit on your player…so you have to make a decision which way to go.

For a good compromise, I use VBR with 192 kbps as the low end and no set high end.