MicroSD Card Not Recognized by ClipZip

I’m having the exact same problem other members have indicated below, whether it’s trying to move MP3’s from either Rhapsody OR Windows Media Player to the external SSD 16G card installed in my ClipZip with 1.01.18A firmware.  Doesn’t make any difference whether I try it in MTP or MSC; on my computer I see the tracks listed on my external card, but when I disconnect the ClipZip the tracks on the external card disappear.  With the Fuze and the e280 this was never a problem; on the disconnected device the two memories and all the tracks appeared blended together on the device, in alphabetical order no less.  From all the messages on this I’ve gotten the impression it’s the 18A ClipZip firmware that’s the problem and nothing can be done about it.  Is that true?

This is my problem as well:

“I’ve owned the original Clip and then the Clip+ and now the Clip Zip Never had this problem before in creating playlists.
Using Windows Media Player, I can see the playlists that I’ve created on both the internal & external memory in WMP. Only the playlists in the Clip’s internal memory show up on the Clip itself, the external memory card playlist will not show on the Clip.
I have formatted, reformatted, reset, & replaced the external card several times with different cards. Why is the clip handling the playlist differently internally and and externally? What can I do to get the external playlist to also show on the Clip?
I searched the forum and the internet but could not find this specific problem being resolved; if I missed it I apologize.”

"Again, after syncing using WMP and while looking at WMP, it appears both external and internal memory of the Clip Zip have playlists. However when I disconnect the Clip Zip and look at the player itself, only the playlist for the internal memory is displayed.No Playlist option appears in the External Card menu on my Clip Zip with an 8GB microSD card. Press Card from the main menu >under the heading “SD Card” is listed Artists, Albums, Songs, books. This after I created a Playlist in Windows Media 11 for the External card. Windows Media appears to create a Playlist for the external card. I noticed that on page 26 of the Clip Zip users manual, Playlist is not one of the options shown, just: Artists, Albums, Songs, Books.

Playlist created for the internal memory works fine."

I’m a bit unclear:  are you talking about playlists or the simple transfer of tracks themselves, outside of playlists?  If you simply copy and paste files from your computer onto the Clip’s external card, are they there when you disconnect the player from your computer? 

Also, you might try reformatting the card using the SD Association;s Formatter tool–sometimes, that can help situations. 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

I’m a bit unclear:  are you talking about playlists or the simple transfer of tracks themselves, outside of playlists?  If you simply copy and paste files from your computer onto the Clip’s external card, are they there when you disconnect the player from your computer?

Also, you might try reformatting the card using the SD Association’s Formatter tool–sometimes, that can help situations.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

I’m talking was about playlists only, either in Rhapsody or WMP.  When dragging and dropping playlists, they show up fine on the external SD in my device when my device is attached to my computer and I’m viewing the SD card in my device on my computer, but when I disconnect the device from my compuer and go to view playlists and tracks on my disconnected ClipZip, everything has disappeared.  There is nothing anywhere on the device, zero, nada.  Same for when I go out of Rhapsody or WMP and just copy single tracks from my C: drive to my ClipZip external SD.  They’re there as long as my device stays attached to my computer, but when I disconnect the device, they disappear everywhere from my device.  I can drag playlists fine to the internal memory on my ClipZip, just not to any SD external card, and I’ve tried several cards, all formatted first using the format feature in the ClipZip itself. The SD Assocation’s Formatter Tool, BTW, refuses to load on my Win 7 computer, giving me Error 1935.  I turned off my firewall and all my Norton antivirus stuff and the formatter tool still won’t  load.  Why oh why does the ClipZip manual not even mention Sansa’s formatter tool, but since it doesn’t load I guess it’s best not mentioned after all. 

I know that the Clip Zip was having playlist issues–but I know little more about that, as I avoid playlists and play by folder. I’ll leave the playlist question to the experts here.