Message...."not enough space for music db"

I get this error message on my 4gb Clip when I turn it on…Shortly after it shuts off…

I have gone through the archives of this board to find an answer that would make it work again

without having to reformat and erase all my music and audiobooks…(some I no longer have access to)

When I plug it in it shows up in My Computer as an F drive…It doesn’t show any files at all in the

music or audiobook folders…I right clicked on it and hit properties and

ran a checkdisk and files scan on it, but it shows that there is no problem…

When I look at “properties” it shows that I have 3.78gb of used space and 7.45mb of free space

Anyone out there found a way to bring it back to life without erasing everything?

Message Edited by jeba8888 on 08-29-2009 04:24 PM

Message Edited by jeba8888 on 08-29-2009 04:25 PM

ChkDsk and/or Format.

CheckDisk…If I right click on the F drive in “Computer” and hit “properties” and “tools” and run “error checking”…is

that the same as running “chkdsk f:/f” from the Start menu?

@jeba8888 wrote:

CheckDisk…If I right click on the F drive in “Computer” and hit “properties” and “tools” and run “error checking”…is

that the same as running “chkdsk f:/f” from the Start menu?

Yes, if after clicking on the “Check Now” button, you select the option “Automatically fix file system errors” (that’s the same thing as the /f switch).

formatted the hard drive and started over from scratch…Thank You for all your replies.

I had the same problem before.  I deleted enough to free up 50mb, then it worked fine.

I would have done the same, but it wouldn’t let me access the files…When I hooked it up to my computer none of the files were visible, thus I couldn’t delete any of them to free up space (It also wouldn’t show any hidden files)…and the clip itself would only show me the error message and then shut off. It wouldn’t let me go into it’s onboard menu to delete any music files.

Message Edited by jeba8888 on 08-31-2009 04:57 AM