Media Converter Will Not Convert Digital Copies of Video

I just bought a Sansa Fuse 4 gigabyte model. I upgraded the firmware from 2.01.17 to 2.02.26.

My PC has QuickTime 7.6, Windows Media Player 11 and the current version of iTunes. The PC also has Real Player installed.

Both Rambo and Journey to the Center of the Earth came with digital copies. I validated them and the digital copies were transfered to my PC. They are in wmv format. Sansa Media Converter is installed and recognizes my Sansa player. My problem is that Media Converter will not convert the wmv files. When I click on Add Media, it tries to load the file and then displays the following message:

“The file c:\Documant and Settings\Craig\My Documents\My Videos\RAMBO_PORT_EN.wmv cannot be imported, please install the corect codec first. If the files can playback on your computer, probably Sansa Media Convert does not support this format, or the file is corrupted.”

It does this for both the full version of the wmv files and well as the portable (PORT) versions for both videos. The videos play fine on my PC, so they are not corrupted. 

Am I missing something? Why won’t these video files convert?

@techee wrote:

I just bought a Sansa Fuse 4 gigabyte model. I upgraded the firmware from 2.01.17 to 2.02.26.

My PC has QuickTime 7.6, Windows Media Player 11 and the current version of iTunes. The PC also has Real Player installed.

Both Rambo and Journey to the Center of the Earth came with digital copies. I validated them and the digital copies were transfered to my PC. They are in wmv format. Sansa Media Converter is installed and recognizes my Sansa player. My problem is that Media Converter will not convert the wmv files. When I click on Add Media, it tries to load the file and then displays the following message:

“The file c:\Documant and Settings\Craig\My Documents\My Videos\RAMBO_PORT_EN.wmv cannot be imported, please install the corect codec first. If the files can playback on your computer, probably Sansa Media Convert does not support this format, or the file is corrupted.”

It does this for both the full version of the wmv files and well as the portable (PORT) versions for both videos. The videos play fine on my PC, so they are not corrupted. 

Am I missing something? Why won’t these video files convert?

I believe the SMC likes working on avi files best, if that helps. :smiley:

I don’t know anything about “PORT” files, but the WMV files almost certainly have DRM protection. SMC can’t convert DRM’d files (and it’s darn near impossible to remove the DRM).

The morale of the story is don’t bother trying to put “Digital Copy” versions of movies on your Sansa.

@gwk1967 wrote:

I don’t know anything about “PORT” files, but the WMV files almost certainly have DRM protection. SMC can’t convert DRM’d files (and it’s darn near impossible to remove the DRM).

The morale of the story is don’t bother trying to put “Digital Copy” versions of movies on your Sansa.

I certainly don’t…it is a 1.9" screen,after all:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the info. 

Hmm. I didn’t realize that the DRM protection would prevent the conversion of the videos. That could be a problem. The sales rep at Best Buy advised me to select this model because I could put the digital copies of movies on it. Best Buy once again shows their lack of knowledge about the products they sell.

I found a WMV to AVI converter on CNet. I will try converting the videos to AVI, but the DRM protection will probably screw with that as well.

Is there a good place online to get AVI copies of movies?  I’ve seen posts where people mentioned having their favorite TV shows on their Sansa Fuse. 

Think about “digital copies” for a moment, and just what they are “giving” you on that DVD, versus reality.

What is the “digital copy” for anyway?  When you figure out that one, you just might have a window into the Dilbertian office cubicle world of lots of attorneys.  Though the theretos and heretofores may be appropriately mentioned, a simblance of connection to reality is quite subjective.

These folks can’t even speak properly without hiding behind verbosities, much less a new codec.

Take the VOB files from the original DVD and transfer them using DVD Decrypter, then feed those files to the Sansa Media Converter.  Note that I only advocate using the converted video for your own enjoyment, from your own DVDs.  'Nuff said on that one, I have a bone to pick with piracy.  But if you would like to watch your personal videos on the smallest TV in the house, I’m all for it.

Especially for that long flight to the home office in Peoria, Illinois.  Or was it Bone, Idaho?  No matter, enjoy watching things blow up during your flight.  EDIT!  I just reread that one, it sounds quite ominous, let’s say, "things blowing up on the screen , screeching tires, police sirens, naval guns and torpedoes flying, MG42s popping shells over ducking soldiers’ heads, land mines roaring, B17s and B25s making their awesome Pratt & Whitneys howl…

Far more pleasant than the hissss of the overhead air and the drone of those Rolls Royces on the wings, eh?  But be sure that you don’t cheer at the action too loudly, or your fellow passengers may think you are suffering from a mental disorder.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 05-10-2009 08:57 AM