Maximum size of the song database

Recently I upgraded the firmware of my Sansa Fuze player (version 01.02.26). In the release notes they’ve mentioned that the song database can contain up to 8000 entries. After I have formatted the player I have been adding files. I have added about 4300 songs. According to the information on the player there were only 4185 songs present. Additional songs were not visible on the player, while they are visible when I connect the player to my computer.

Can someone tell me what can be the problem? Afte all, I have used the latest firmware and have reformatted the disk.

You must use the resident format command on the Fuze!

Windows knows nothing about the Sansa, and has a nasty habit of generating wee allocation clusters down to 4KB.  Let the Fuze optimize the memory, and build a completely new database, with the new limits.

Go to Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes, and start fresh.  You only have to do it once.  Tasty 32KB clusters too, optimized for the Sansa.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have formatted the player as you suggested. But it doesn’t work.

I have now stored about 4200 songs. When I add additional songs these will not be added to the database. I’m sure they are on the disk because when I use the USB connection these songs are visible. Does it make a differece if you place the songs on the internal storage or on the external storage?

@hansm wrote:

I have formatted the player as you suggested. But it doesn’t work.

I have now stored about 4200 songs. When I add additional songs these will not be added to the database. I’m sure they are on the disk because when I use the USB connection these songs are visible. Does it make a differece if you place the songs on the internal storage or on the external storage?

What USB mode are you using?

I am using the MSC modus.

I have discovered that when I add music on the internal disk this music is added to the database. On the same time some music on the external disk is deleted from the database.

@hansm wrote:

I am using the MSC modus.

I have discovered that when I add music on the internal disk this music is added to the database. On the same time some music on the external disk is deleted from the database.

Are you using a music manager to add the songs, like Windows Media Player, Winamp, MediaMonkey? If so, I would suggest trying to drag and drop…that might eliminate one variable.

I do not use a music manager. I only use the copy / paste options but it seems like there is a limit to the number of database entries. I have also removed the MTABE systemfile so that it can be rebuild. Also this dit not solve the problem.

@hansm wrote:

I do not use a music manager. I only use the copy / paste options but it seems like there is a limit to the number of database entries. I have also removed the MTABE systemfile so that it can be rebuild. Also this dit not solve the problem.

My external card is twice the size of my internal memory, so I have much more on it than the internal. It shouldn’t matter where they are, since the Fuze integrates the 2 memories. I don’t have anywhere near that many songs on mine(2,224) so I can’t make a direct comparison. I’m getting confused by this too, now.

I started mine off by filling the external card first, with my older stuff ,and only then added to my internal memory. What would happen if you tried that?

I have tried filling the internal memory first and then the external memory and visa versa. It makes no difference. I have noticed that when you add new music to the internal memory that music from the external memory is lost. When I add new music to the external memory it is not stored in the database. I have reached some kind of limit here.  

@hansm wrote:
I have tried filling the internal memory first and then the external memory and visa versa. It makes no difference. I have noticed that when you add new music to the internal memory that music from the external memory is lost. When I add new music to the external memory it is not stored in the database. I have reached some kind of limit here.  

I’m afraid I am out of ideas, then. I don’t have room on my Fuze to hold that many songs, so I can’t try to hit your limit for myself . I hope someone else has an idea for you though. Good luck! :smiley:

Format the card then eject it and then use the Fuzes internal settings to format, then do a manual firmware installation (Just in case there was a problem with your upgrade), then put the card back in.

The problem is solved by removing a lot of folders on the device. It seems that when you are using a lot of folders (within folders etc.) to store the music the database reaches a limit although less than 8000 songs are stored.

@hansm wrote:
The problem is solved by removing a lot of folders on the device. It seems that when you are using a lot of folders (within folders etc.) to store the music the database reaches a limit although less than 8000 songs are stored.

Interesting…thanks for sharing the solution.:smiley:

Glad you found a relationship.  My first thought was whether you were placing the files all in the root directory, or in the Music folder.  Windows can get a bit funky with folders all in one batch, particularly in the root.

Looks like we are dealing with two limits: the first one is the number of entries (songs) in the database and the second one is the total string allocation space used for folder/file names. Would be nice if some technician could confirm this.

Are there other limits around, e.g. in the total string length of song title names? What happens, if all your audio files use unusual looooong song titles, album names etc. ?

@ewelot wrote:

Are there other limits around, e.g. in the total string length of song title names? What happens, if all your audio files use unusual looooong song titles, album names etc. ?

There’s always this one . . .

:stuck_out_tongue:

@Tapeworm:

I doubt SanDisk would be able to push on this one … :cry:

“The Outer Limits” is easy.  16 characters, including spaces.  It will fit just fine.

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to… The Outer Limits.