Database capacity inquiry

Loving this Sansa Fuze, it is amazing quality and flawless as far as my experience goes so far. I have been following a few topics here for a while especially the database capacity. Mine is the 8Gb and have fitted a 16Gb SDHC all without problems of any kind. I have just been using the search facility and can not find how you tell the capacity of the database, I read 2000 songs and 8000 but no idea how to tell what is available on my own Fuze.

I bought it in Feb 2010 with firmware v01.01.11f loaded but I updated to v01.02.28f and have just gone to v01.02.31a. I ‘record’ music at 256Kbps using Mp3 & windows media player, Windows XP pro os and utilise MTP method. Anyone know what my database size may be 2000, 4000 or 8000 song capacity or whatever value? There appears to be nowhere on the device this info is displayed. I know reformatting the device will bring it to the latest spec but am hoping that with the version of firmware on the fuze at delivery,  will mean it is already at max capacity of x songs? I really do not want to have to format the whole deal and to have to spend the next day just reloading unless I absolutely have to, in order that I can fully use my 16Gb SDHC card.

Any pearls of wisdom from you experienced fuze wizzards will be very much appreciated. I have found items on the search which brush the subject here but no specific answere that I have found.

Cheers in advance Guys,

Youric1

The capacity of the current firmware is 8000 files. It was increased a few updates ago.

HOWEVER , if you haven’t formatted since using a pre-increase firmware, you still have the lower limit. The database stays the same size until formatting.

Many thanks for the superfast response gwk 1967 much appreciated! ~ But to clarify do you know which firmware took the capacity to 8000 songs? You mention it was increased a few updates ago and so I am still clinging to the straw that the initial version on my fuze of v01.01.11f was already at that 8000 figure? Any info as to which song capacity my initial version provided?

I have never formatted since this v01.01.11f as I have had no problems with this marvellous little device whatsoever. Now I have possibly gone an jinxed things…:wink:

Kindest Regards

Youric1 

Youric1 wrote:

Many thanks for the superfast response gwk 1967 much appreciated! ~ But to clarify do you know which firmware took the capacity to 8000 songs? You mention it was increased a few updates ago and so I am still clinging to the straw that the initial version on my fuze of v01.01.11f was already at that 8000 figure? Any info as to which song capacity my initial version provided?

I have never formatted since this v01.01.11f as I have had no problems with this marvellous little device whatsoever. Now I have possibly gone an jinxed things…:wink:

Kindest Regards

Youric1 

I believe it was the .26 firmware that raised the database level to 8000.:smiley:

DOH!!! Not what I wanted to hear, sigh reformat and reload here I come, arrrrggghhhh!! Bugger!

Ta for the info at least now i know.

Regards

Youric1

So does that version number apply to v2 also?

So in my case, the unit I just bought is at v2.xxx.24, so it supports less than 8000 database entries right?

BTW, does the 8000 limit apply to “untagged” files?

There are times when I’m going to want a huge number of audiobook files on my Fuze (since audiobooks are sometimes broken into very short files, a single 20+ hour audiobook can easily be a couple of thousand files)  and if all those tracks are taking up space in the database, I’m going to have a bunch issues.

I guess I also need to know if there’s are any total files per disk or total files per directory limits too.

Not that I am a sansa guru but from what I have come to understand from this and other inquiries it is the case that it matters not wether you have v1 or v2 so it is not until v1/v2.xx. 26 that the file size capacity of 8000 songs or files is supported~ And then you have to format the device to update the database to initiate the capacity to the new level. The fact that you have .24 means you (like me) have less than 8000 file capacity and so need to both upgrade and also format & reload. Afraid this is only a partial answer as i do not know about the untagged files and so will not enter any info of which I am unsure, hopefully, someone will step in to answer that part of your question.

Like I said, DOH bugger it, sigh.

Hope this of at least some help.

Yeah that’s my understanding of the version numbering too.

However, I would still like to get an “official” response to verify it.

See my answer back from Sandisk tech support which really confuses me and all the info on this site about database capacity updates. Post dated 02-24-10 by Youric1. It seems the databasIS NOT upgraded to 8000 files/songs by firmware updates. Or is it??? This is silly! Any one know what the heck the truth of the matter is?

Youric1 wrote:
See my answer back from Sandisk tech support which really confuses me and all the info on this site about database capacity updates. Post dated 02-24-10 by Youric1. It seems the databasIS NOT upgraded to 8000 files/songs by firmware updates. Or is it??? This is silly! Any one know what the heck the truth of the matter is?

Read my response to your other post…that support person was wrong.:wink:

Cheers Marv’ I did read it and thought I knew wot I wuz doin and ur answer is by my gut instinct correct- but it just seems all kinds of wrong that tech support have their panties in a twist and causing such confusion. Makes you think and I dont like to do that, makes meee brayne hurt.( Tech support -as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike!)

Doh!

Youric1 wrote:

Cheers Marv’ I did read it and thought I knew wot I wuz doin and ur answer is by my gut instinct correct- but it just seems all kinds of wrong that tech support have their panties in a twist and causing such confusion. Makes you think and I dont like to do that, makes meee brayne hurt.( Tech support -as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike!)

Doh!

Depending on the bitrate of your songs, the database limit might not ever affect you. I had a 4GB Fuze with an 8GB card in it, and I never even had more than 3,000 songs on it.:wink:

See now I am wonderin if you have ESP too, Marvin? I was just wonderin about that. I have 24Gb now and use mp3files at 256Kbps but am thinking of notching down to 192Kbps for all but classical albums. I have no way 2 know how many tracks I actually need so may just take the (safe) long option of format & reload ( groan).

I used to live out by a reservation in New Mex n my pals from there always said that the solution to your current problem will become your next problem. What wise people. :smiley:

I also have the 16GB SDHC card with the 8GB internal memory. My 16GB card is full and the 8GB is just over half. All my music is ripped at 192kbps. My total music file count is at 2752. I’m hoping that later this year they come out with the 32GB card. I should still be under the 8,000 file limit.

Good Man Scott -thanks for posting that is indeed a very interesting and useful bit of info to know.

Many thanks!:smiley:

@stripe1966 wrote:
… I’m hoping that later this year they come out with the 32GB card. I should still be under the 8,000 file limit.

I read an article which claimed that Samsung was going to start shipping 32GB uSDHC cards this month (Feb).

But, there’s so many counterfeits out there that I’m waiting until I see 32GB parts on Amazon before I even consider buying anything online.

Unfortunately, 32GB cards will probably cost upwards of $100 at first. 16GB cards were in that range to begin with, and only recently are they plentiful at under $50.

@gwk1967 wrote:
Unfortunately, 32GB cards will probably cost upwards of $100 at first. 16GB cards were in that range to begin with, and only recently are they plentiful at under $50.

Yeah, I’m betting on around $150. :frowning:

But, at least they can be used in lots of different devices and they don’t have batteries that wear out in a year or two and make them worthless like mp3 players and cell phones. :wink:

So at least the big cost gets amortized over several years of use.

@gwk1967 wrote:

True, but catch me on the right day, I’d probably pay for it!

Hey, I paid $60 for a 128MB USB drive when they first came out. Now they give them away in bubblegum machines for a quarter!

If they do come out soon, I imagine they’ll be down around $50 or $60 by Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Stripe1966 wrote:

@gwk1967 wrote:

True, but catch me on the right day, I’d probably pay for it!

Hey, I paid $60 for a 128MB USB drive when they first came out. Now they give them away in bubblegum machines for a quarter!

If they do come out soon, I imagine they’ll be down around $50 or $60 by Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I doubt that…the 16GB ones have been out for quite a while now, and they’re still around $40, aren’t they?