Looking for a simple, easy to use speaker/dock for the Fuze

My wife has made a comment in passing that she’d love to play her Fuze w/o having to resort to the headphones while working different places, so I’m hoping to find a relatively small, very easy to use speaker/dock system for her as a gift.

I’ve seen mention of a couple Altec Lansing models, but wasn’t sure how well they worked, or if they needed any adaptation (removal of adapters, etc.).  The ideal model would let the Fuze plug in directly out of the box, and have simple remote control(s).

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

@jtc wrote:

My wife has made a comment in passing that she’d love to play her Fuze w/o having to resort to the headphones while working different places, so I’m hoping to find a relatively small, very easy to use speaker/dock system for her as a gift.

I’ve seen mention of a couple Altec Lansing models, but wasn’t sure how well they worked, or if they needed any adaptation (removal of adapters, etc.).  The ideal model would let the Fuze plug in directly out of the box, and have simple remote control(s).

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

To my knowledge, there are none that work with the Fuze that will give you remote control. Maybe On/Off/Volume, but nothing else. I stopped looking for one a few months ago so it’s possible something has come out since. However, any amplified speakers that have an AUX or Line Level input (ALL computer speakers, for example) will work with the Fuze. Speakers that are designed for portable music players should work with the Fuze if they aren’t designed specifically for use with IPOD only. They should be labelled “Works with any MP3 player” or words to that effect. Do not try to plug the Fuze into the multi-pin connector designed for a different brand player. There is apparently no standards here and you could damage the Fuze.

@qualityaudio wrote:

@jtc wrote:

To my knowledge, there are none that work with the Fuze that will give you remote control. Maybe On/Off/Volume, but nothing else.

Just go to Amazon and search for “Sansa docking”  and a bunch of models pop up, some with remotes.

I haven’t used any so can’t comment on quality.

The Altec Lansing iM413.

The Fuze docks just fine, though slightly to the right, as the connector was offset for the headphone plug.  No modifications are required for this dock except the little “adapter” bracket that goes behind the Fuze.  This bracket is a “backrest” for the Fuze while it’s docked.

All you need is to make the backrest a wee bit thicker.  The iM413 comes with three adapters, so I mounted a small foam pad to one of them.  This involves a small bit of rubber, about 2.5mm thick.  A very easy modification, no drilling, welding, sawing, or power tools required.

When docked, the Fuze can be controlled by a handy remote that has its own hiding place in the top of the iM413.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: