Just added a MicroSDHC card, but...

Hi all – I Just added a MicroSDHC card, but when I open the ‘External microSD Card’ device, I only see three folders: audiobooks, podcasts, and msc – no music – is ‘msc’ on the external card supposed to be used like ‘music’ on the internal?

Also, is there a way to format the external card without formatting the internal one (and vice-versa)?

Thanks,  -Scott 

I use my Clip+ in MSC mode, and when I connect, the SD card comes up as a separate drive with the following directory structure:

\MUSIC

\MUSIC\AUDIOBOOKS

\MUSIC\PODCASTS

I simply took the clue and placed my music under the base \MUSIC folder.

From the sound of things, you’re using MTP, and when you click on ‘External microSD Card’ this maps automatically to \MUSIC.  So, I think you’ll be fine if you just copy all your music to the base directory (and all your podcasts and audiobooks to their respective subfolders).

fwiw, I tried a test file into the MSC folder (in the external card) and it did then show up when I browsed my library.

For any other folks using auto (for MTP/MSC) with an external card – what directories do you see on your external card?

Also, is there a way to format either card (as opposed to both) from within the Clip+ interface? 

@turnstyle wrote:

fwiw, I tried a test file into the MSC folder (in the external card) and it did then show up when I browsed my library.

For any other folks using auto (for MTP/MSC) with an external card – what directories do you see on your external card?

Also, is there a way to format either card (as opposed to both) from within the Clip+ interface? 

Don’t use the Auto-Defect setting. Even the SanDisk folks will tell you that. Choose one mode or the other.

And you can only format the Clip+'s internal memory from the on-board function. You can leave the card in the player, but you’ll have to use Windows to format it (the card). I’ve got to say though, that there ar very few times one would need to format the card (or the player for that matter). It’s not something that needs to be done except as a last resort.

Sorry to keep asking the same question, but for any other folks using auto (or MTP) with an external card – what directories do you see on your external card?

In MTP mode, the device will look like a single device in Windows Explorer.  Opening up that device should show an internal memory and external memory section.  Opening up the external memory section should allow you to drag and drop items in there.

@p_opus wrote:
In MTP mode, the device will look like a single device in Windows Explorer.  Opening up that device should show an internal memory and external memory section.  Opening up the external memory section should allow you to drag and drop items in there.

Thanks – I’m still curious to know what directories people see in their external memory (presumably via MTP)…  :) 

I’ll give you a list later tonight- I am just about to head home.  With the Clip+ connected here, I have a SlotMusic card mounted.

With this card, all is loaded in MSC mode in order to be addressable by the SlotMusic player.  There’s a folder labeled MSC, looking at it in MTP mode.  Within this, I have subfolders Music and My Music, plus jpg files for the albums loaded, since they were transferred from Windows Media Player.  

I also have an Audible, Podcasts,  AUDIOBOOKS, PODCASTS, Albums, Playlists, all within the Music folder.  The Sansa generates these folders when making transfers to the µSD card.  Note the CAPITALIZED folders: these are from using MSC mode.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

From what I remember, if a microSDHC card has content loaded onto it in MTP mode, you’ll see an “mtp” folder there when you view it in MSC mode.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 10-24-2009 11:29 AM