Is this what I really want?

I’ve never owned an MP3 player, but I have several hundred songs on my computer that I listen to. I have them divided into folders/playlists, and always play them shuffled; the computer will shuffle songs from among all the playlists, or just one, whichever I choose. Is this an option with Sandisk?

However, the shuffle feature on Windows Media Player doesn’t seem to work well. It does play songs in random order, but it doesn’t play all of them. There are some songs it always plays, and some songs it has NEVER played. Is this true of Sandisk, and, if so, is there anything that can be done about it? (Or can anyone recommend another type/brand of player that shuffles better?)

Also, I’m wondering what the difference is between Sandisk Clip and Clip +… and the Furse(?)… I just want to play my songs, shuffled; don’t need a radio, recorder, ideo, or anything else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

@warriorbard wrote:

However, the shuffle feature on Windows Media Player doesn’t seem to work well. It does play songs in random order, but it doesn’t play all of them. There are some songs it always plays, and some songs it has NEVER played. Is this true of Sandisk, and, if so, is there anything that can be done about it? (Or can anyone recommend another type/brand of player that shuffles better?)

Get a Clip+.  Its cheap, small and works nicely.  You don’t need a Fuze, its just a clip with a bigger screen.  If later you don’t like the built in clip+ shuffle, you can install rockbox, which has an option to randomize a folder, which means every song plays before one repeats.  

I can certianly relate to your question since up until recently I thought mp3 players were a wast of time and money.  Clip+ changed all that.  If has everything I want in a player (ease of use, easy syhch with WMP, small size, low cost, great audio) and nothing that I don’t want (video, excess memory, lots of add-on gadgets).  Clip+ a simple job and does it very well.

Clip+ is a better purchase than Clip or Fuze because of the ability to add memory cards.  (Fuze simply adds postage-stamp video).  I store my music (about 1,000 songs in many playlists) in main memory, and I store many podcasts (which I delete after listening), in plug-in memory.on one or more cards.  Works for me!

Not sure just how random the “random play” is but it’s not been any problem.  If I head somthing I’ve heard before I just press the advance button and move to the next song.

A further benefit of the Clip+ over the Clip:  in addition to playing via common ID3 tag database categories (artist, album, title, genre), the Clip+ will allow you to play your music via their folders, just like you store them on your computer.