Is it possible to boost the bass?

I have a Black 8GB Sansa Fuze+ and I was wondering if it was possible to boost the bass on it. I put rockbox on it and the bass settings on the rockbox equalizer were much higher than the OFW bass.

You can also boost the bass with the EQ in the original firmware you know. :confounded:

Sorry. My OP was grossly underworded as I was in a hurry. I am aware of the Custom EQ. The problem I have is that the bass is just way too underpowered. In the Rockbox CFW there was a menu option to increase the bass in decibels. However the Rockbox CFW is unstable and thus unusable until a stable version is released. So my question was, is there a way to modify the OFW to amplify the bass? I think so because Rockbox is an edit of the OFW. Or is there another alternative? Possibly something like a in-line bass volume control? It’s really important to me because I invested 80$ into this player because of the ability to accommodate a micro SD card thus giving me a massive amount of music storage that I cannot find elsewhere. Other than this issue, the Fuze+ has been an excellent purchase.

You seem to have a few misconceptions, here:

First off, Rockbox is not a customized version of the OF. Rockbox is meant to be a different firmware altogether, and the Fuze+ is just one player that is supports. That said, you do need to make a slight modification to the way the Original Firmware starts to allow Rockbox to start, too, which is the only difference between the Firmware.sb file from Sandisk, and the one from Rockbox.

Second off, one of the most important aspects of good sound is not the player itself, but the headphones. If you have decent headphones, you could probably have good sound out of the box, although the EQ is still a great way to fine-tune the sound to the way you like it.

Third off, the Rockbox website does say Rockbox is “Unstable”, but realistically I’ve found it to be more stable than the Sandisk Firmware. Unstable doesn’t necessarily mean “too buggy to be useable”, it just mean there MIGHT  be bugs, or there MIGHT  be features that haven’t been added yet (always at least one or the other).

Hope some of this info helps! :wink:

halonachos is right, Rockbox makes the Fuze+ much more usable. I don’t have mine anymore, but I would not use one without Rockbox. The original firmware of the Fuze+ is epically bad.

Ah. I see. I conceived that misconception because I was required to provide the OFW for Rockbox to install. I would like to know how exactly you were able to use Rockbox and claim it is better than the OFW. I’m not calling you a liar in any way, it’s just that when I used it, it would get about 23 seconds into a song then crash. Granted I did have a problem with the OFW crashing, but I solved that by replacing the corrupted MP3 files. Now the OFW works great for me. If you could maybe offer a solution for the problems I’m experiencing with Rockbox I’ll try it out again, but as of now, it’s proven to be too glitchy for me. (The recording doesn’t work (freezes the player when tried), Randomly crashes (displays white screen with error code), Crashes if I try to adjust the volume or lock/unlock the player) As for my headphones, I am using the Apple iPhone 5 stock earbuds. I have to say they are the best I have heard. Especially for stock earbuds. But enough plugging for Apple. They don’t need it. Basically the reason I’m not satisfied is because before my Fuze+ I had a Phillips GoGear Vibe. The bass on it was EXCELLENT. Very deep and rich. So I’m a little disappointed I have to sacrifice quality for quantity. Would there be a way to edit the OFW to increase it’s bass frequency then?

@xxxspectrexxx wrote:

If you could maybe offer a solution for the problems I’m experiencing with Rockbox I’ll try it out again, but as of now, it’s proven to be too glitchy for me. (The recording doesn’t work (freezes the player when tried), Randomly crashes (displays white screen with error code), Crashes if I try to adjust the volume or lock/unlock the player).

How long ago was this? I used to these problems quite often, although I never had crashes with volume or (un)locking. However, since then many changes and bugfixes have been issued to correct this. If this has happened a long time ago, installing a newer version should fix everything except recording (which the developer still hasn’t added yet, as he’s been busy fixing everything else).

If you tried it recently, that’s another story. All I could say in that case is try again, and see if these errors persist.

@xxxspectrexxx wrote:

Would there be a way to edit the OFW to increase it’s bass frequency then?

Only by using the EQ and/or “deeper” headphones. There are no hacks avaible, no magic tricks, just those two options.