How's the radio reception on the Zip? Compared to the Clip+?

I’ve an original Clip owner that uses the radio functionality a lot and when I tried the Clip+ a few months ago I could tell right away that it had an inferior radio for whatever reason. The Clip+'s inadequate radio is well documented on these forums and other places on the net… anyways, I was wondering how the new Zip’s radio compares? If it’s as good as the original Clip then I may have found my new MP3 player =)

@pookguy88 wrote:

I’ve an original Clip owner that uses the radio functionality a lot and when I tried the Clip+ a few months ago I could tell right away that it had an inferior radio for whatever reason. The Clip+'s inadequate radio is well documented on these forums and other places on the net… anyways, I was wondering how the new Zip’s radio compares? If it’s as good as the original Clip then I may have found my new MP3 player =)

My 8GB Clip is still in the house (daughter uses it now) and I have a CZ.  I find that it picks up stations just as well as the Clip does.

So what was different with the C+?  I never heard it had a worse receiver than the original.

@tnmats wrote:

So what was different with the C+?  I never heard it had a worse receiver than the original.

Lack of RD shielding resulting in static and poor sound quality until the backlight turns off. Then it’s OK. But some Clip+'s had a different FM chip in them that wasn’t as good either. At least that’s what I understand.

The Zip’s FM is crystal clear and has RDS display as well.

And it all seems somewhat idiosyncratic with the players, the user and the geo. area: the radio in my Clip+ seems just as fine as in my original Clip.