Help please Can I use Amazon, iTunes to download music to the sansa clip

Could someone tell me what places I can download music to me windows media player and on to my sansa clip. It came with a disc I didn’t load it to my computer it has Rhapsody on it looked it up you have to pay $10,00 a month we really don’t use music sites that often to justify the monthly fee.

Will Amazon work  and will iTunes work and if so how do I use it this is frustrating.

I went to PayPlay and bought a few songs they downloaded into a zip file in my download file I can click on them and they will play thru windows media but I can’t get them on to the clip.

The Clip is so easy for putting music on–nothing special is needed!

Just copy and paste the music you want to put on your Clip, from your computer to anywhere on the Clip.  (Or drag and drop the tunes from your computer to the Clip.)  For organization’s sake, the Clip has some folders that you can use for your files:  Music, Podcasts, Audiobooks.  I tend to use them, to keep things organized and straight.  And you don’t need to use WMP to transfer the files to your Clip.  As I said, you can just copy and paste the files, using Windows Explorer just like you would copy and paste any files on your computer–the easiest way, in my opinion (although some people like WMP).

Amazon is a great source for tunes:  wide selection, and some nice pricing.  eMusic has some nice pricing as well, but you pay a monthly fee for a certain amount of music a month (whether you download the music or not).

Not sure why the files you got elsewhere won’t transfer to the Clip.  Did you unzip the files first?  And are they in a format the Clip can play?

When buying from iTunes, keep in mind that the Clip doesn’t play iTunes format so the music will need to be converted into .MP3 format.  If you buy MP3 format music no conversion is needed.  I’m not familiar with PayPlay, but it advertises itself as an MP3 store, so the music should be OK for the Clip.  I’ve used Amazon’s MP3 store, too, but the majority of my library has been ripped from CDs I own.

iTunes sells .mp3 format now (or so I’ve heard); you may not have to buy the propriatary .aac or .mp4 format and convert it (reducing quality) to play on non-pod players.

PayPlay is an illegal Russian site so I wouldn’t recommend getting any music from there. Amazon is reputable, has a good selection and prices and so does E-Music (although their catalog isn’t nearly as extensive as Amazon’s).

Depending on your musical tastes there are also free and legal places to download music. See this thread in the Off-Topic board. But I think the best way to get music for your mp3 player is to ‘rip’ your your CD’s. I’m sure you have some, or can maybe borrow some from friends.

@Mikerman the files are zipped I don’t know how to un zip and not sure how to tell what kind files they are can you help with this. The files are in my Download file on my computer I tried to copy and paste but I guess I got to unzip first right and find out what file it is.

Thank you for the reply 

@bob58 wrote:

@Mikerman the files are zipped I don’t know how to un zip and not sure how to tell what kind files they are can you help with this. The files are in my Download file on my computer I tried to copy and paste but I guess I got to unzip first right and find out what file it is.

Thank you for the reply 

Try right-clicking on the .zip file. If you see an “Extract” option, select it. This should expand the compressed file. If not, you’ll have to download a zip program. 7-Zip is good and it’s free. WinZip is also good, but I believe you have to pay for it.

Once installed, you should be able to un-zip the file as described above. Once extracted (or un-zipped), you’ll see the (probably) .mp3 files which you can then transfer to your player by just dragging and dropping or copying and pasting to the Music folder.

And Tapeworm is 100% correct!  Many computers come with zipping and unzipping software–you might just be able to doubleclick on the zip file to get it to unzip.  Or, 7Zip is a great and easy-to-use, free option.  At that point, you should have the mp3 files which you then can just copy and paste into your Clip.

@tapeworm wrote:

iTunes sells .mp3 format now; you don’t have to buy the propriatary .aac or .mp4 format and convert it (reducing quality) to play on non-pod players.

Thanks for the information.  I have an iTunes gift card sitting around waiting to be re-gifted.  Maybe I’ll actually use it now! :smiley:

I haven’t used iTunes in a while, but when I did they offered DRM-free AAC files, which while playable on anything that supports AAC won’t work on a Clip (without installing rockbox which has an AAC decoder).

If you want mp3s (and are not interested in rockbox), then you should probably stick to Amazon’s music store or ripping CDs.

iTunes has an option to export the file in mp3 format.  Although, not really being an iTunes user, I’ve never been sure if that means you are getting the file originally in mp3 format or if the aac file is being converted into mp3 format (which is not the best way to obtain the mp3 file, as the data conversion results in data loss and sound degradation). 

iTunes has an option to export the file in mp3 format.  Although, not really being an iTunes user, I’ve never been sure if that means you are getting the file originally in mp3 format or if the aac file is being converted into mp3 format (which is not the best way to obtain the mp3 file, as the data conversion results in data loss and sound degradation).

And many other sources for mp3 files apart from Amazon and your own CDs:  eMusic, Walmart, etc.  Although Amazon is a good and easy source, in my mind.

@miikerman wrote:

The export option just transcodes files.  So yeah you can transcode AAC files to mp3 using iTunes, but its probably easier to just buy MP3s in the first place.  

I was afraid that iTunes just transcoded the file. :frowning: And the reason why, when I’ve purchased downloads, I’ve used Amazon or eMusic.com. Apple is just great–when you do things its way.

Kool-Aid anyone?

@tapeworm wrote:

Kool-Aid anyone?

Somebody’s got to say it…

:stuck_out_tongue:

@miikerman wrote:

And many other sources for mp3 files apart from Amazon and your own CDs:  eMusic, Walmart, etc.  Although Amazon is a good and easy source, in my mind.

From what I’ve seen on Walmart’s music webpages, I don’t see anything that makes it better than Amazon nor eMusic so far.  Not even the prices on some of the music.  Some are over a dollar! :dizzy_face:  Last time I looked, Amazon’s prices were under a dollar for individual songs.

@mags1230 wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

From what I’ve seen on Walmart’s music webpages, I don’t see anything that makes it better than Amazon nor eMusic so far.  Not even the prices on some of the music.  Some are over a dollar! :dizzy_face:  Last time I looked, Amazon’s prices were under a dollar for individual songs.

Amazon has a FREE Song of the Day and 69 cent Classic Rock songsand great $5 album selections too!

@mags1230 wrote:

Amazon does charge $1.29 for some tracks. Currently in thier top 10, they have “Rolling In The Deep” by Adele and “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster The People.

I have to say that I have found Amazon’s pricing to be nice. I tend to buy contents by album (sorry, CD), and I’ve found nice Amazon pricing for those. Also, the every-now-and-again Amazon sales and freebies, along with discount pricing, always are nice to fine.

You can’t directly download music from streaming music services, like Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc. via subscribing to the premium plan. But you can purchase music from Amazon Store or iTunes Store. All songs are downloaded as MP3 format, you can transfer them to Sansa Clip.
If you can’t afford this money, you can also try to use an Amazon Music Converter to download streaming Amazon songs to Sansa Clip-supported files.