Help: Fuze keeps connecting/disconnecting from Windows XP

I just received my Sansa today (10/16). It works fine except when I connect it to my PC. I am currently on Windows XP SP3. When I connect the unit to my computer, Windows will pop up and say the fuze recognized. Then about 5 seconds later, it drops the connection, then it will re-connect. It is does over and over. Sometimes it will say it does the recognize the device and then drop and come back up again. It cannot stay consistently connected. I have USB 2.0 hub and 1.1 from the mother board. I have tried all my ports. I have also tried the MTP and MSC and auto-detect. When it does say connected long enough, it has recognized under both MTP and MSC. But then after a few seconds or minutes, it will disconnect again. Nothing will keep it connected long enough. II believe it is the USB cable because it will charge when I have it plugged into the USB port. It just does not stay recognized by the system. I have also tried this on a laptop and it is the same deal. I am update to on all my drivers for my PC and the latest firmware was already installed on Fuze. I did get it to stay on long enough to copy some music over. And it played those with no problems. So I don’t think it is the unit itself. Any ideas or suggestions?

It could be a problem with the cable

Update to problem. When it stays connected, I get the screen showing the flower pattern and it says connected with the flower pattern doing the 1-2-3-4 pattern. But when it disconnects, sometimes it drops to the Sansa screen and is no longer charging. So it may be the unit.

@smoke297 wrote:
 I did get it to stay on long enough to copy some music over. And it played those with no problems. So I don’t think it is the unit itself. Any ideas or suggestions?

You can actually navigate through the menus and play your songs right? If you can still charge the Sansa but somehow will not connect properly then there could be a problem with the data wire of the cable. There are 4 wires on a USB cable. 2 for power transfer and 2 for data communication. It might be worth to try another cable.

If it’s new and you just got it, take it back.  It’s probably the cable, but you shouldn’t have to do any troubleshooting on a new unit.

If it’s used, refurbed, etc., you can find a cable for under $5 on Amazon, or from cellphone accessory companies. The same cable fits the E200 series. Just make sure it is made for the Sansa Fuze or E200. DO NOT GET AN IPOD CABLE.