Hellooooo Bookmarking

Original Post can be viewed here.

All,

We are in process to test the next release of Sansa Clip firmware which will help this issue.  The brightness will be increased up to 2X with little impact to your battery life.  Also the OLED will turn off after USB connection with no activity after one hour.

It will also implement a requested new feature:

auto-bookmarking for Podcasts and Audiobooks. THis feature will be available for all the Sansa Clip players.

Thanks,
SansaFix

Interested to see how this plays out… i just got mine =)

Message Edited by Enigma on 03-13-2008 03:20 PM

These sound like some good options.  Will the brightness be adjustable for those of us who didn’t mind it the way it was?

brightness has always been adjustable, Im guessing it will just give you more options in regards to your brightness

Brightness boost applies to the 4 GB only.

@enigma wrote:

Original Post can be viewed here.

All,

We are in process to test the next release of Sansa Clip firmware which will help this issue.  The brightness will be increased up to 2X with little impact to your battery life.  Also the OLED will turn off after USB connection with no activity after one hour.

It will also implement a requested new feature:

auto-bookmarking for Podcasts and Audiobooks. THis feature will be available for all the Sansa Clip players.

Thanks,
SansaFix

Interested to see how this plays out… i just got mine =)

Message Edited by Enigma on 03-13-2008 03:20 PM

I wonder how it will know to “automatically bookmark” podcasts, since they’re just standard mp3 files.  Will it automatically bookmark anything over a certain playtime length?

Here is how it works.  There will be two new folders:  Podcasts, and Audiobooks (available in either MTP or MSC mode).

If you place content in those folders,  they will be treated accordingly and bookmark, and be grouped into the appropriate places on the player UI.

The alternative method will be Genre tag based.  Content having “Audiobook” or “Podcast” as their genre placed anywhere on the device will be handled by the UI in the same way.

Update your tags if you want to sync using WMP11,  which places everything in the music folder.  For example,  a podcast with genre “News”  or “Blues” placed under the Music folder will not be treated as a Podcast by the UI. You will have to sync it to the correct folder instead or change its tag.

When you leave a playing book or podcast and then return to it you will be prompted to “resume” or “restart”.

Cheers,

SansaFix

@sansafix wrote:
Here is how it works.  There will be two new folders:  Podcasts, and Audiobooks (available in either MTP or MSC mode).

If you place content in those folders,  they will be treated accordingly and bookmark, and be grouped into the appropriate places on the player UI.

The alternative method will be Genre tag based.  Content having “Audiobook” or “Podcast” as their genre placed anywhere on the device will be handled by the UI in the same way.

Update your tags if you want to sync using WMP11,  which places everything in the music folder.  For example,  a podcast with genre “News”  or “Blues” placed under the Music folder will not be treated as a Podcast by the UI. You will have to sync it to the correct folder instead or change its tag.

When you leave a playing book or podcast and then return to it you will be prompted to “resume” or “restart”.

Cheers,

SansaFix

Thanks Sansafix! 

Will I be able to drag and drop podcasts to the podcast folder, then access them through the podcast folder (without having to change the genre)?  This will be great if that’s what it does! :smileyvery-happy:  It’s a hassle having to create playlists or change the genre (to find them under genre) or name (to find them alphabeticaly in songs) of my podcasts files since I add them almost daily.

I don’t even really care about the bookmarking too much, although that’ll be nice, too.  It’d just be nice to drag and drop my podcasts into a podcast folder (without having to change the genre to podcast), then be able to look in the podcast folder and play them all from there.

Message Edited by Jay_Dee63 on 03-13-2008 04:48 PM

Nice feature and interesting implementation.  Is there any reason not to have bookmarks available generally, for all files even if not podcast and audiobook by genre?  I can see many people wanting to bookmark certain music as well, such as long orchestral movements or a song in a series of episodic songs (such as theater pieces). 

Nice feature and interesting implementation.  Is there any reason not to have bookmarks available generally, for all files even if not podcast and audiobook by genre?  I can see many people wanting to bookmark certain music as well, such as long orchestral movements or a song in a series of episodic songs (such as theater pieces). 

And absolutely agreed as to the above–I add many podcasts to my player which will only be around for a few days; it would add extra hassle if I need to monkey around with their tags (many of which are rudimentary at best) so as to be able to use the bookmarking feature.

Anything placed in these folders will be bookmarkable.  So you can place whatever content you want in the Audiobook folder even if it is a music track.

We did not want general music playing to require another button click to confirm resume.

Message Edited by sansafix on 03-13-2008 04:52 PM

@sansafix wrote:
Anything placed in these folders will be bookmarkable.  So you can place whatever content you want in the Audiobook folder even if it is a music track.

We did not want general music playing to require another button click to confirm resume.

Will files that are placed in these folders be able to be accessed through these folders while using the Clip (like being able to browse by folder)?

@sansafix wrote:

Will files that are placed in these folders be able to be accessed through these folders while using the Clip (like being able to browse by folder), or will they have to be looked up under songs, genre, etc?

Sansafix,

Great implementation of the bookmarking feature for the Clip!!  Finally, everyone can enjoy the convenience of bookmarking, albeit a basic one.  For 99% of us, a single bookmark is just the ticket.  The resume from stop / resume from beginning design is perfect.

I have four thoughts:

1. The bookmark function should also be added to the User Guide, and to the features list for packaging, etc.  It’s a great feature to tout on the product material.

2. Will the other features of Audible files be up for consideration?  I’m thinking of the Chapter Mode…but that requires implementation within the base audiobook file, perhaps an Audible only feature.

3. The variable playback speed function is nice (as a variable playback speed tool, it must do so as an algorithm), and might be possible for any audio file.

4. The e200 v2 players could benefit, directly adapting the code written for the Clip.  And wow, would you have some happy v1 owners if it is possible there too!!!

Cheers,

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Why wait a whole hour to turn off the OLED? Even 10 minutes would do.

Message Edited by Lucky_Luciano on 03-13-2008 08:11 PM

@sansafix wrote:

Cheers,

SansaFix

It would be nice too if the files in these folders could be marked (checked off like msc or mtp mode) to let us know which ones we’ve already listened to (would be especially handy for podcasts) :smileyvery-happy:

@sansafix wrote:

Cheers,

SansaFix

It would be nice too if the files in these folders could be marked (checked off like MSC or MTP mode) to let us know which ones we’ve already listened to (would be especially handy for podcasts) :smileyvery-happy:

@sansafix wrote:

Cheers,

SansaFix

It would be nice too if the files in these folders could be marked (checked off like MSC or MTP mode) to let us know which ones we’ve already listened to (would be especially handy for managing podcasts) :smileyvery-happy:

@sansafix wrote:

Cheers,

SansaFix

It would be nice too if the files in these folders could be marked (checked off like MSC or MTP mode) to let us know which ones we’ve already listened to (would be especially handy for managing podcasts) :smileyvery-happy:.

@sansafix wrote:

Cheers,

SansaFix

It would be nice too if the files in these folders could be marked (checked off like MSC or MTP mode) after playing to let us know which ones we’ve already listened to (would be especially handy for managing podcasts) :smileyvery-happy:.

@Sansafix:

Is there a fix included in the next firmware update, which displays the correct remaining battery level or prevents the battery from discharging automatically? There were at least 2 major threads in recent time, which mentioned the problem that under a battery level of about 30-40% the battery discharges after few hours without usage.

Message Edited by qwerbeet on 03-14-2008 07:58 AM