Go List: 50 songs max?!

My e260 didn’t appear to have any limit.

I’m kind of annoyed at this.

Since playlists are such a big pain in the neck, I have relied on my constantly evolving GoList.

Now with only 50 tunes max, I’m pretty stuck.

**bleep**…for every step SanDisk takes ahead, they take a half-step back.

Same thing with SMC.  I just figured out that the newest release just eliminated the “crop” feature.

That was one of the best features!

I discovered the fifty song limit on my 4GB Clip’s GoList, as well.  So, I just created a new playlist to act as my GoList.  Of course, I have to manually add songs while my Clip (or 4GB Fuze, for that matter) is connected to my computer, but at the very least, I can have more than fifty songs.

All the best.

Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 11-05-2008 07:19 PM

Another idea is t give your favorite songs a high rating on the player, then you can select to play the highest rated songs.

@jk98 wrote:
Another idea is t give your favorite songs a high rating on the player, then you can select to play the highest rated songs.

I didn’t even think of that.  That’s an even better idea, and something you can do on your player wherever you are.

Thanks for the idea on the highest rating!

I had tried to do some playlists with this new version of software, but it just added the songs again to my fuze, so I had duplicats:angry:

So I haven’t made another play list.

I’ve spent so much time messing around with playlists and the seemingly hundreds of weird issues that crop up.  I’ve just abandoned the whole idea as too troublesome and time-consuming.  I’ve got better things to do.

But the GoList is really the way to go as far as I am concerned.

So why did they reduce the # to 50?

Just when something works…

sigh…

I can try the rating thing…that might be a good approach.

Queueing would definitely be the best thing… I miss it very much :frowning:

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

I’ve spent so much time messing around with playlists and the seemingly hundreds of weird issues that crop up.  I’ve just abandoned the whole idea as too troublesome and time-consuming.  I’ve got better things to do.

The Go-List has always (as far as I know) been limited to 50 entries. If you’re having problems with playlists on your Fuze, you can check out this post on how I use Winamp to create & manage my playlists. This will work on either e200 seriesv2 machines or the Fuze.

It works, and it’s easy.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

The Go-List has always (as far as I know) been limited to 50 entries. If you’re having problems with playlists on your Fuze, you can check out this post on how I use Winamp to create & manage my playlists. This will work on either e200 seriesv2 machines or the Fuze, and I don’t believe there is a song limit with .m3u playlists.

It works, and it’s easy.

A dynamic song queue would be great. Why can’t this be easily added to the next firmware update?

Tape

I swear that my old e260 had almost no limit.  I had a huge playlist on there.  Maybe I’m jsut losing my mind and I WAS limited to 50 on that as well.

Still…the GoList is great because it is so dynamic- on the fly.

I’ll try your suggestion when I get a little chunk of time.  Thanks.

Hey SanDisk!  Let’s go for 100 song limit on the next firmware release!!!

(can’t hurt)

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Hey SanDisk!  Let’s go for 100 song limit on the next firmware release!!!

(can’t hurt)

why limit to 100?  Or why one Go List?  why not several go lists and not worry about play lists?  This would make it more unique to the others, where you could create a playlist or add to it anywhere, anytime.  It might not be as easly, you’d have to specify which one, but it could work like the shuffle where choose on/off or the playback speed of podcasts slow/medium/fast.  Since they can do that, they could do several 50 or 100 playlists.  I would accept 4 playlists with 100 limit…

I really cant understand these limits… The device’s memory is so huge, so why this?

And the Go List lacks one basic functionality, namely the ability to save as playlist! This would be the easiest way to create playlists directly on your Fuze. It seems quite simple, Sansa team, please think about it !

And please remove the progress bar, there’s no need to wait after adding a song…

Message Edited by Riven on 11-07-2008 09:29 AM

@riven wrote:

I really cant understand these limits… The device’s memory is so huge, so why this?

And the Go List lacks one basic functionality, namely the ability to save as playlist! This would be the easiest way to create playlists directly on your Fuze. It seems quite simple, Sansa team, please think about it !

And please remove the progress bar, there’s no need to wait after adding a song…

Message Edited by Riven on 11-07-2008 09:29 AM

I would think that maybe the progress bar is there as a visual cue to the user that it is saving the selection in the GoList. Yes, it’s something that would seem obvious, but if there were no progress bar, no matter how short, the player would seem as if it were ‘frozen’ during that time and some people might start pressing buttons repeatedly trying to un-freeze it and actually ‘cause’ a freeze-up themselves.

The progress bar merely tells users, " I’m thinking. Don’t bother me right now!" :smileyvery-happy:

Guys,  there are limits to the internal RAM memory of the player.  Thats what drives these limits,  not the External storage capacities.

Tapeworm > Thanks for the answer. I understand that. But does it really have to take so long to add a song to the Go list? This is the issue - if it takes long and there’s no info at all than I agree, that would be even worse. Instead, I was thinking about reducing the time we have to wait… It seems short but try making a longer list, track by track. It slows everything down very much.

@sansafix wrote:
Guys,  there are limits to the internal RAM memory of the player.  Thats what drives these limits,  not the External storage capacities.

Okay, I need explaining in laymens terms. And this may be a dumb post… but…  how is this memory for the go list different then from the memory for what I’ve put on it?  Or even different from a playlist memory?  From my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) people can make as many playlists as they want with as many songs as they want… Why should to the 'go list" be different or why is it? 

If it is different, is there no way to change the ‘go list’ memory to wherever the playlist songs go to? 

You could always name your playlists GoList. Then you could have more than one! :smileyvery-happy:

I think what Sansafix was trying to say is that the ‘Golist’ is part of the operating software of the device and as such, they (the development team) have to work within the confines of the on-board RAM memory. Something you & I don’t have access to. Notice how you can’t delete the GoList? That’s because it’s protected behind the partition separating the operating (RAM) memory from the ‘internal’ memory that is available to the user/owner in which to store their songs, photos & videos.

Yes, you can create and store as many playlists as you want in the ‘internal’ memory, but you can’t get behind the wall (so to speak) into the operating memory. That’s what the folks over at Rockbox have been trying to do, and they are running into a similar problem. How do they get their code squeezed into the same space as the Sansa operating firmware. There’s just not that much left-over space in there.

ok, I get it.

however, why not enable us to create playlists stored in the internal memory, where there is virtually no limit? thats what I guess the majority of players can do, and thats what I was talking about. simply to create and modify .pls files directly on the player. i dont think it would be too complicated to implement, if we can already read playlists made on the computer. just some simple features like - add/delete and move items… 

Message Edited by Riven on 11-07-2008 02:20 PM

You’re talking about creating the playlist(s) on the player as you do with the GoList as opposed to creating them on the computer, then transferring this list to the player’s internal memory. This would probably still require more RAM than what is available. Remember, RAM is R andom A ccess M emory. It’s sort of memory in reserve. You have to have a certain amount of un-used memory just laying around there wating for when it is needed. I could see where creating some lengthy playlists could over-tax this reserve, and that wold probably cause a crash or freeze-up of the device.

Have you noticed that the more RAM you have installed on your computer, the faster it runs and the quicker programs open? Your computer will throw all of this data into the RAM and then take it back as it needs it which is a whole lot quicker than if you don’t have sufficient RAM installed. The programs write the information to your hard drive, then have to read it back off in order to get the program open and working. Much, much slower! That’s why it’s always a good idea to buy additional RAM chips/modules when you get a new computer. It’s the best investment you can buy. Hard Disk size or processor speed aren’t nearly as important as RAM when it comes to a fast machine.

Your little Sansa has a very small finite space for RAM and it simply cannot borrow space from the ‘storable’ memory (where you store your songs) when it needs to. These little players are really amazing in what they can do now, and who knows what they will be capable of in the near future, but the developers must work within the limitations of what they’ve got to work with now. Sure, new models will come down the pike with more storage capacity, more features, games, who knows what, but the key word here is new models. Every platform has it’s limitations. I’m sure the guys at SanDisk will do what they can with what they’ve got, but we can’t expect them to turn a Buick into a Cadillac. Both are fine vehicles and have many similarities as they are both made on the GM platform, but hardly the same thing and no amount of modification will turn one into the other.

So if they can fix whatever bugs that come up and throw us a bone every now & then, we should be grateful. There are many mp3 players on the market that don’t have upgradeable firmware. The way you buy it is the way it’s going to be forever, whether it works right or not, or has all the features and little tweaks here & there or not. There simply isn’t any bug fixing or feature adding . . . period! For that you have to buy the next ‘upgraded’ model that comes out. So all in all, I think we (as Sansa owners) have got it pretty good with the support we’re given. We should be thankful instead of gripin’ that it ain’t enough. :wink: