Get Audiobook from CD's to Fuze

Ok, we are getting there.  I loaded changed the tags to read 01-01, 01-02, etc. (where the first number is the disc and the second number is the track).  However, when I load the tracks on the Fuze they play out of order.  The tracks play 01-01, 02-01, 03-01 (disc 1 chap 1, disc 2 chap 1, etc.).  How do I fix this?

With generic track numbers, the Fuze will simply run things in order.  I would give the tracks an album name for the first / second disc, so that they are properly grouped.

Download MP3Tag and group the tracks in the proper order via drag-and-drop, then use the numbering wizard to correct the tags on your book. Bo this with the files on the PC.  Then, you do something that seems backwards- delete the files from the Sansa, and transfer the whole enchilada back onto the device from the PC.

Your new transfer should play in the correct order.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Bob, Just a little clarification.  Do you mean something like Disc 01 Chapter 01, Disc 01 Chapter 02 for filenames?

Also, the tracks appear in order on the sync list.  They also appear in order in Windows Explorer and mp3tag.

Maybe I am not understanding what you described. 

The filenames are not the deciding factor. There is a separate field in the ID3 tag for Track Number. The first track on each disc is getting Track Number 01, and the Sansa is playing all the tracks numbered 01, then those numbered 02, etc. 

Install mp3tag and open the folder for each disc. Make sure the files are in order–they should be with your filenames–and under Tools use the Auto-Numbering Wizard choosing Leading Zeros. REMEMBER HOW MANY TRACKS ARE ON THE FIRST DISK. Then open the second disc, and start the track numbers (with the Auto-Numbering Wizard) from where the first disc left off. Etc. 

@kbuns99 wrote:
Ok, we are getting there.  I loaded changed the tags to read 01-01, 01-02, etc. (where the first number is the disc and the second number is the track).  However, when I load the tracks on the Fuze they play out of order.  The tracks play 01-01, 02-01, 03-01 (disc 1 chap 1, disc 2 chap 1, etc.).  How do I fix this?

Just to be clear, you are setting the “Disc Number” tag to be 01, 02, …  as appropriate, and the “Track Number” tag to be 01, 02, 03…

and it’s playing out of order?  Or are you putting mixed numbers and punctuation in the track number tag?

If the latter, it is likely just taking the digits up to the first “non number” character as the track number.  YOu could also take out the hyphens leaving tracks: 0101, 0102, 0103… 0201, 0202, … and it would work ok.

Message Edited by donp on 12-22-2009 07:28 AM

Next time, avoid all this problem of multiple tracks per CD by ripping using iTunes and “Join CD Tracks,” as I suggested in my post on page 2.  I went through what you’re going through, ripping with WMP or Zune Software and getting messy track numbering just like you got.  And then someone on the Zune forums pointed out this join-tracks feature of iTunes ripping.  In that Zune Software forum, iTunes has become the accepted ripper for audiobooks intended to go on Zunes!

If you didn’t have a player with the resume function nor a bookmarking function, then I wouldn’t be butting in, as you might possibly want all those individual tracks so you’d know better where you left off listening.  But with a Fuze and its audiobook resume feature, who needs all those tracks?  (And especially who needs them with their sometimes crazy numbering that you have to discover and fix manually?)

I just want to thank you.  WinMP was a joke for me.  Maybe one or two disks were where they were supposed to be.  Others were all over my computer and mixed up.  iTunes worked perfectly, using your directions.

Pam