"Genre" displayed as numbers instead of genre names

I have brand new Sansa Clip which I’ve updated to the latest firmware yesterday.

I formatted it and set it to MSC mode. I am using Ubuntu Linux to transfer files using drag & drop.

My music collection is meticulously taggedusing EasyTag 2.1.5. I am using only Id3v2.4 tags.

Now for the problem:

When I transfer the music to the Clip, I see numbes instead of Genre names, e.g. all my “Ambient” music is shown under genre called “26”. The genres are displayed correctly in Audacious and other desktop players.

I think I know the reason: If I use a genre which is “standardized”, i.e. has its own number, it’s stored as string with numeric value. I.e. song with “Ambient” genre has TCON frame value of (string) “26”. According to ID3 specs, this number should be correctly interpreted as “Ambient” genre but isn’t in Clip. The specs (available at http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames) state (emphasis mine):

 TCON
 The 'Content type', which ID3v1 was stored as a one byte numeric
 value only, is now a string. **You may use one or several of the ID3v1  
 types as numerical strings** , or, since the category list would be
 impossible to maintain with accurate and up to date categories,
 define your own. Example: "21" $00 "Eurodisco" $00

If I use some made-up genre, for example “MyAmbient”, it shows correctly on the Clip, not surprisingly, because then it’s stored as a word, not as an number.

There are several workarounds available, e.g. writing my own script that corrects this, changing all genres to some made-up values (adding extra characters) but still, this seems to be a bug…

It may be the version of ID3 tags you’re using. v2.3 ISO 8859-1 is the most Sansa-friendly format.

EasyTag is my preferred tagging software (by far) and it only allows me to choose between ID3v1 and ID3v2.4, not v2.3. When I later used eyeD3 to convert tag from 2.4 to 2.3, it didn’t help.

And yes, I am using ISO 8859-1. When I tried changing the encoding (I experimented with this thin for at least 6 hours today) it also didn’t help.

@fuxoft wrote:

EasyTag is my preferred tagging software (by far) and it only allows me to choose between ID3v1 and ID3v2.4, not v2.3. When I later used eyeD3 to convert tag from 2.4 to 2.3, it didn’t help.

 

And yes, I am using ISO 8859-1. When I tried changing the encoding (I experimented with this thin for at least 6 hours today) it also didn’t help.

Easytag is nice but, since its not working for you try Mp3tag. Its really easy.

If you mean the software available at www.mp3tag.de, it only seems to be available for Windows.

@fuxoft wrote:
If you mean the software available at www.mp3tag.de, it only seems to be available for Windows.

I only used it once on lunix and that was with Wine (I intended to edit my earlier post when I re-read the thread) I dont know how it would work for you, it was kinda shakey but it worked.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-29-2009 07:47 PM