Fuze recognized on Linux but only top level directory shows files

I’m trying to use my new Fuze on my Linux system (running kernel 2.6.26.5-28, Fedore Core 8).  When I plug it in it is automounted correctly and a new icon appears on my desktop (GNOME 2.20.3).  Double clicking on the icon brings up the top level directory which has the subdirectories AUDIBLE, MUSIC, PODCASTS, etc.  However, all of these subdirectories appear to be empty, despite the fact that the device is loaded with quite a bit of music and several podcasts.  The one file of any size is called MTABLE.SYS (1.8 MB).

Doing lsusb gives:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0781:74c3 SanDisk Corp.

and mount gives:

/dev/sdc on /media/SANSA FUZE type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=708)

Also, when connected to a windows machine, I can see files under MUSIC and PODCASTS.  Could anyone tell me why these files aren’t showing up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Ah, I think I see now from the FAQs.  Files loaded in one mode can’t be viewed if the device is loaded in the other mode.  It’s too bad though.  Is there a way to convert from one to the other?

Jon

MTP is not compatible with linux. Your option is to format the device and retransfer all songs on MSC mode.

@hckrs2k3 wrote:
MTP is not compatible with linux. Your option is to format the device and retransfer all songs on MSC mode.

No, that is simply not true. MTP has been available to Linux users for several years via the libmtp project. There are several GUI applications like Rhythmbox (Gnome) or Amarok (KDE) which make use of these libraries.

My personal preference is to operate the Fuze in MSC mode only. If you have files already transfered in MTP mode and want to switch them over to MSC you could

• install a simple MTP client program e.g. mtp-tools and/or mtpfs (these are packages on Debian, names could be different on Fedora)

• connect your  Fuze in MTP mode

• access your device and copy/move your MTP-files from the Fuze to the PC

• reconnect your Fuze in MSC mode

• mount the device as a normal USB mass storage device

• copy your files over to the Fuze

I don’t remember the exact commands I used for this because I did it only once right after I bought my Fuze.