Possible to use a microSD card from within my Fuze on Linux? How?

I have not yet tried this, nor have I yet gotten a microSD card. I just wanted to see if it was possible to use a microSD card inserted into the slot of my Fuze first. This way, I’d be able to add my music directly to the microSD card on my computer.

Being a hardcore Linux fan, I refuse to use Windoze on my own computers, so please don’t try to give me Windoze directions or suggest using Windoze. People try this all the time when I specifically specify Linux. 

The Fuze uses a normal FAT32-formatted file system for both its onboard flash and the microsd. It is without problems possible to use it in a microsd card reader. When inserted into the fuze and attached to the pc, it presents both the card and the onboard memory as two seperate devices.

A simple solution: purchase a µSD card with reader bundle, like the cool SanDisk one that’s also a key fob.

Mount the device, and see if the µSD slot idents with a card installed.  In Windoze, the device shows as two drives in Windows Explorer.  When communicating in MTP, it shows as one, and undergoes mitosis if the device is double clicked.

If you cannot access the card slot, simply load it into the cool card reader.

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

I’m going to work with the KDE interface again in the near future, so I’m interested.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

In MSC mode, your Fuze will look like two VFAT removable drives to Linux (one is internal memory, the other is the uSD), and you can use normal commands (cp, mv, rm etc) or filemanagers to manipulate the content.

In MTP mode, libmtp will let various media players (Amarok etc) talk to your Fuze. But they don’t work well with the uSD. Although libmtp supports external storage devices, most media management applications don’t support it well. I haven’t found one that does, anyway!

Message Edited by daytona955 on 12-08-2008 08:41 AM

One problem with buy an external card reader is that I don’t have much money available (and I won’t have any left if Bush says our economy is doing better again, it seems that every time he says that our economy is doing good, the exact opposite happens). So I have to be wise in spending my money.

@pikidalto wrote:

One problem with buy an external card reader is that I don’t have much money available (and I won’t have any left if Bush says our economy is doing better again, it seems that every time he says that our economy is doing good, the exact opposite happens). So I have to be wise in spending my money.

Buy this one: ebay article 180296494412

transfer rate is much higher with it, and its really tiny

@pikidalto wrote:

I just wanted to see if it was possible to use a microSD card inserted into the slot of my Fuze first.

Sorry, my first answer was not very clear.

Set the Fuze set to MSC mode in Settings->USB Mode.

Then, your uSD card, when it’s plugged into the Fuze slot, will appear (to Linux) as a separate USB removeable drive.

You don’t need a separate card reader.

When you plug the Fuze in you will see 2 separate removeable USB drives. One is the Fuze memory, the other is the uSD card.

This then takes me to the question, do I still give the same names to the directories within the microSD card? As in, do I put a MUSIC directory on the microSD card, or will that cause conflict with the original directory?

I just put my music in random directories in the root.  The fuze seems to basically ignore the directory structure - it just uses the tags to organize music.

Ok, thanks guys.